Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Importance of Running Backs

Quote:I never claimed he was THE worst in nfl history. I said some people will refer to him as such, and then go on to say "we only won 5 games, so and so didn't make a difference". 

You keep referring to those people who call him the worst in NFL history, and that's fine.  Still. those who do so more than likely are too young to have a real knowledge of the history of the league, and they're going on only their personal recollection.  Using their ignorance to prop up an argument is certainly your prerogative, but it's really irrelevant to the discussion about whether this team needs to focus any attention on the RB position, so why bother?

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gordon won't be there in the 2nd round. I would take Gurley over Gordon in the 20-32 range any day. If we were to somehow trade from 3 to 12 and 19 with the Browns would anyone like Gordon at 19? Dante Fowler at 12? I don't think we are reaching in this scenario. Just something to think about. 

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM by temporaryname.)

Gerhart played fairly well toward the end of the season, once he healed from being injured. I'd like to see what he can do with a better O-line and better scheme before we pronounce him unworthy.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:You keep referring to those people who call him the worst in NFL history, and that's fine.  Still. those who do so more than likely are too young to have a real knowledge of the history of the league, and they're going on only their personal recollection.  Using their ignorance to prop up an argument is certainly your prerogative, but it's really irrelevant to the discussion about whether this team needs to focus any attention on the RB position, so why bother?

To stress the fact that bad qb play weighing on a team shouldn't affect what a team does with RB and players at other positions. 

The "5-11" logic was used to justify letting a lot of players go, some that should not have been let go. Daryl Smith was seen as unimportant. Now it's being used as an excuse to not take a RB early. I was just pointing out the absurdity that a certain blog perpetuates. Prisco is guilty of this too.

Just because the QB is the most important position in the game doesn't mean you neglect other spots. If you have your qb, you can upgrade elsewhere, and RB should be no exception.

Quote:Blaine Gabbert is not the worst QB in NFL history. Not even close.

He might not be the worst QB in NFL history, but he has to be the worst starting QB, who actually won the starting job and started at least 5 games for the Jags,in Jags history.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I don't think we draft or sign a RB in free agency

That would be sad because that means many rbs were over drafted in may.

Quote:That would be sad because that means many rbs were over drafted in may.
we have a lot more glaring needs IMO

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM by Cable.)

Quote:He might not be the worst QB in NFL history, but he has to be the worst starting QB, who actually won the starting job and started at least 5 games for the Jags,in Jags history.
Did you have to put the restrictions on. Without them, Luke McCown would be one of the worst to start for the Jaguars.

Regarding a RB, I do expect one to be drafted. I would love to have Gurley, but even if that doesn't happen, I expect one drafted. Free agency, I don't expect one to be signed. Possibly brought in to have a look, but signed, no.

Duke Johnson rd 3

Quote:Did you have to put the restrictions on. Without them, Luke McCown would be one of the worst to start for the Jaguars.

Regarding a RB, I do expect one to be drafted. I would love to have Gurley, but even if that doesn't happen, I expect one drafted. Free agency, I don't expect one to be signed. Possibly brought in to have a look, but signed, no.

I put them in b/c of Luke McCown.

I kind of feel the same way you do about a RB. Probably draft one late and maybe take a look at another in FA, but probably not signed for  the season. Brought in for training camp/preseason and given a good look, possibly, but unlikely signed unless he really shows something.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:He might not be the worst QB in NFL history, but he has to be the worst starting QB, who actually won the starting job and started at least 5 games for the Jags,in Jags history.

Gabbert reminded me a lot of Jonathan Quinn; a guy with all of the tools but no pocket presence or accuracy. Of course we didn't spend 1st and 2nd round picks on Quinn.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

They can be pretty important
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I've watched alot of football starting in the mid 80s. Gabbert was one of the worst qbs I've ever watched play at the NFL level.

As for running backs, I think this is not the time to upgrade that position. Let Toby and Denard show what they got under this new offensive system, then reevaluate in 2016

Even if I wanted us to take a RB which we have more glaring holes than to take.

I would not want us to take a Wisconsin RB, I genuinly cant think of one that has been worth where he has been drafted.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 02:07 PM by Caldrac.)

Quote:There has been a lot of discussion in recent weeks about the Jaguars' need to address the position. Some out there seem to think that drafting one early is silly, as the position really isn't all that important. A few have defended that argument, saying "the Jaguars had the NFL's leading rusher in 2011 and still went 5-11". The problem is those same people talk about Blaine Gabbert as being the worst quarterback ever. You can't have it both ways. If you think Blaine truly was the worst QB in NFL history, then the more appropriate argument would be "MJD won 5 games on his own". That's no trivial feet. 

This "the team was already bad" logic has been used to defend letting other players leave as well, including Daryl Smith. This is a loser's mentality people. An every down running back can run out clock, get 3-4 yards each carry. Sure Denard had a decent season statistically, but he's one of those Chris Johnson types who get negative yardage on one carry, and 12 yards two or three carries later. it's inconsistent.

I will agree that I don't think FA is the way to go, as free agents are overpriced usually, and at RB you're paying for a worn out product. But I'll take Melvin Gordon any day. The Badgers had NO passing game to speak of the last two years. He carried that team to 11 wins this year. 

The running game is still important. Is it like the 70's - 90's when you needed a guy to run for 1500 - 1800 yards all on his own? Not really. But you still need a viable running attack. Maybe not so much in overall carries or percentages of your offense but the effectiveness of it when it comes to YPC and short yardage conversions. It's very important. You look at all of the teams this year in the play-offs. They've got great QB's for the most part leading them. However, Dallas doesn't make it without Murray, Green Bay doesn't make it without Lacy, New England doesn't make it without Blount, Seattle doesn't make it without Lynch and so forth. Oddly enough it was the teams with the weaker running games that fell short. Arizona had no answer there, Indianapolis had no answer there among a few others. Even teams that got eliminated like Baltimore and Pittsburgh relied heavily on their respective running games this year. Bell and Forrsett had awesome years in 2014,

So yes, it's VERY important still in today's era and age of football. We need a consistent running game to help Bortles improve in the passing game.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Even if I wanted us to take a RB which we have more glaring holes than to take.

I would not want us to take a Wisconsin RB, I genuinly cant think of one that has been worth where he has been drafted.

A few years ago, I'd agree with you, but WI has changed its tune in terms of what it looks for out of its backs.

They used to want big, heavy backs in the mold of Dayne, P.J. Hill, and John Clay. The last several years they've transitioned to guys with more balance: Ball, Clement, and Gordon.

Gordon is probably the most gifted back WI has put out. The combination of size and speed is undeniable. Ball may have had better numbers, but there's no comparison physically.

The run game, imo, has gone from being the core of an offense to a distraction, designed primarily to set up the pass.

There is still a place for the running game.

It's just that it's emphasis isn't as great.

Being able to close out a game with a 5 minute offense is a nice thing to have.

The O-line getting more mature should help quite a bit in making that possible.

I wouldn't touch a RB or receiver before the 3rd round, no matter how good that player is.

I'd use that pick as trade bait though...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:A few have defended that argument, saying "the Jaguars had the NFL's leading rusher in 2011 and still went 5-11". The problem is those same people talk about Blaine Gabbert as being the worst quarterback ever. You can't have it both ways. If you think Blaine truly was the worst QB in NFL history, then the more appropriate argument would be "MJD won 5 games on his own". That's no trivial feet. 

Wrong.  The defense contributed heavily to those 5 wins --- 2 of which were against Indy without Manning.  We also beat the Titans by 2, the Bucs with 4 ints, and somehow we beat the Ravens.

Gabbert was the worst QB ever, and despite his performance, the other 21 players managed to win a few games along the way.

RB is important, it is just not important to get them early. My analogy is HDMI cables. Yep, they are important and you definitely want them for your viewing pleasure...but you are doing it way wrong if you are spending over a hundred bucks for a Monster cable. 

Here is some visual proof. The 2014 top-30 FF running backs represented by round drafted in the NFL draft:

[Image: B8sFXbtCEAAy3j2.png]