Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Importance of Running Backs

Quote:Duke Johnson rd 3

This.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The offensive line needs to be able to block.  Otherwise your running back is irrelevant.

That

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

I read every single post on this RB question today. I'm really beginning to think many just don't understand the X's & O's of football. You guys are talking about getting a RB when you have a proven runner in DR and a decent RB (when healthy) in Toby Gerhart. I personally think you will see Toby come roaring back next year and be the guy the JAGS had hoped he would. That said, the LAST THING the Jags should be giving any attention to is getting another RB. In all of the posts I read, I saw more references to a player who is not even here any longer. WHO CARES?

Just like at the QB position, if a miracle were to occur and the Jags somehow snagged Tom Brady, without an OL it doesn't matter one bit. FIX THE OL AND YOU FIX A MAJOR PROBLEM IN THIS OFFENSE!  Period.....end of story. Focus on what's important to the quick improvement of this team and running backs aint it.

I'm sure it's been said already - but it's not that the position "isn't all that important" that makes drafting one early a bad idea.  It is important. 

It's that very good backs can be found after the 2nd round. 

I doubt RB early is on Caldwell's radar unless someone is sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round that is rated too highly on his board to pass on. 

I do agree with JJ that if we fix the line and Denard and Gerhart stay healthy, we will see a much improved running game. I know most want to see us take a RB this year, but I'm not sure it should be a top priority. Part of me says give the guys another year behind what should be a better line just simply based on player growth, comfort and cohesiveness from being in their 2nd year working together. All I can say is: As a football fan, I freaking love Ezekiel Elliot. As a Michigan fan, I freaking hate Ezekiel Elliot. I know you do not wait a year hoping to get a player, but man does Elliott have a tremendous future ahead of him.

As Caldwell has said, RB should be the last piece you add. Theyre not going to do anything with a crap offensive line. And they arent as important as receiving threats.

We already have a 1k back in Denard + Toby is a good change of pace/ 3rd down back.

How else can we help Bortles improve, fix the ol and and improve the running game. I don't think a high pick or big money free agent is needed, but we need a real differencemaker at the position. Shoelace is a change of pace back and Gerhart is very ordinary, I'd expect the Passing game to still strugle next season and fixing a running game is a lot easier imo. The only guy i'd say has a roster spot locked is Robinson, every other guy on the roster is replaceable.

[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Don't think we need a high draft RB. If we can find one towards the end of the draft, great. I'm in the camp that we have some RBs on this roster with talent and you'll see tremendous growth as the O-line improves. Heck, I would go as far as letting Gerhart take a walk if it would save a dime!

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

A balanced team that can cause a defense to fear the pass, and respect the run is a team that wins big. 

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM by P. Haze.)

Blaine Gabbert was the worst quarterback in the history of the NFL. A good defense and running game ia a good plan to get to the playoffs since forever and still even now. Bortles needs a running game to assist him to be successful. These gimmicks we have at running back won't get it done. Gerhart stays hurt and can't carry the load and Robinson is an utility back. We need a stud.

Quote:Blaine Gabbert was the worst quarterback in the history of the NFL. A good defense and running game ia a good plan to get to the playoffs since forever and still even now. Bortles needs a running game to assist him to be successful. These gimmicks we have at running back won't get it done. Gerhart stays hurt and can't carry the load and Robinson is an utility back. We need a stud.

Probably one of the worst first round QB's. But there have been worse QB's on this team than Gabbert. Mike Kafka might be the worst NFL QB I have ever seen in person.

;

;

I don't think you should ever take a running back, just to take a running back.  I think that a good OL can make an average running back look better faster than the other way around.  If you think that a player is going to be Lynch Peterson or Murray, then I understand the value but in reality I think that if you have the hole there Denard Robinson and to some extent Jordan Toddman have proven that they can hit the hole and make yardage down the field.  When I look at this team I see an offensive line that needs to develop more so than a backfield bereft of talent.

Quote:Duke Johnson rd 3
Agree

Quote:Probably one of the worst first round QB's. But there have been worse QB's on this team than Gabbert. Mike Kafka might be the worst NFL QB I have ever seen in person.

I think one needs to weigh the draft selection and the fact that this dude was just afraid to get hit.  I've never seen a QB as apprehensive and in fear of the defense as this guy.

Personally, I'd rather have Jamarcus Russell out there mixing up some illegal grape juice & codeine (or whatever he got busted for) than to see Gabbert in a Jags uniform again.