Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Jerry Tarkanian

Two college coaching legends gone the same week.

RIP Tark the Shark

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/basketball-...40684.html

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM by Deacon.)

I hope they have soaked towels waiting for him wherever he goes.

Cheating or not, the 1990 & '91 UNLV Men's Basketball team was one of my favorite ever teams to watch.

Rest in peace Jerry.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I first got into college ball in the late 80's, early 90's. Those teams were so much fun to watch.

A true original was Tark.

RIP

Yep --- we really had some historical coaches

Dean Smith

Tark

Denny Crum

Rollie Massamino

Boeheim

Coach K

John Thompson

Lou Carnesseca

Bobby Knight

...... that's also when Dick Vitale was actually good.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 03:34 PM by Deacon.)

Sweet Lou and Thompson going at it in the old Big East were epic matchups. Used to love watching those games.

As for Tark, I always loved it when his team played Westphal's Westhead Loyola-Marymount team and Richardson's Arkansas squad. Just epic run 'n' gun basketball.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Sweet Lou and Thompson going at it in the old Big East were epic matchups. Used to love watching those games.

As for Tark, I always loved it when his team played Westphal's Loyola-Marymount team and Richardson's Arkansas squad. Just epic run 'n' gun basketball.

Westhead.....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Westhead.....

Dangit.

Quote:Dangit.

For some reason I was just thinking about that team the other day. Westhead and his two man team of Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers. And Gathers dying on the court in a game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:For some reason I was just thinking about that team the other day. Westhead and his two man team of Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers. And Gathers dying on the court in a game.

Even as young as I was at the time that they were tearing through college basketball, I knew that they were going to get torn apart come tournament time. They were still a lot of fun to watch though.

And Gathers dying was just a shocking moment. I'm still in disbelief over that.

Quote:Sweet Lou and Thompson going at it in the old Big East were epic matchups. Used to love watching those games.

As for Tark, I always loved it when his team played Westphal's Westhead Loyola-Marymount team and Richardson's Arkansas squad. Just epic run 'n' gun basketball.

I loved the Big East during that era.  Boy, Seton Hall was good, St. Johns was good, Georgetown, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt.  I miss that era of college ball. 

Tark was always fun to watch and those UNLV teams were great.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote: I loved the Big East during that era.  Boy, Seton Hall was good, St. Johns was good, Georgetown, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt.  I miss that era of college ball. 

Seton Hall was so close to winning the title in 1989.

Quote:Seton Hall was so close to winning the title in 1989.

I can still see Rumeal (sp?) Robinson stepping up for those free throws. What an amazing game that was to watch.

Quote:I can still see Rumeal (sp?) Robinson stepping up for those free throws. What an amazing game that was to watch.

And you look at that Michigan roster. Robinson, Glen Rice, Terry Mills, Loy Vaught. Seton Hall was overmatched and still almost won.

That stretch had some great teams. Michigan knocked off Illinois in the Final Four who had Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Marcus Liberty and Kenny Battle.

Quote:That stretch had some great teams. Michigan knocked off Illinois in the Final Four who had Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Marcus Liberty and Kenny Battle.

I remember that Illinois team being made up almost entirely of 6' 9" players. And all of them were as athletic as could be. Just a monstrous squad on the court.

Was Henson the coach there then?

One of my first jobs was doing security for the Fresno State basketball team during his time here. Great memories.

RIP Coach.

Quote:I remember that Illinois team being made up almost entirely of 6' 9" players. And all of them were as athletic as could be. Just a monstrous squad on the court.

Was Henson the coach there then?

Yeah he was.

Reading through the posts on this thread brought back some great memories. College basketball from '79 (Magic/Bird) through the early 90's was the finest run that sport's ever seen and will likely ever see. I still love college hoops but it's just not the same anymore. Any great player is one and done. Imagine a guy like Anthony Davis still playing in college today in what would be his junior or senior season. I don't follow the NBA much these days so maybe Davis is already a fourth year guy, I don't know.

Point is, nearly everybody stayed four years and a rare few would leave after their junior year. Imagine how stacked some of these Kentucky or Kansas teams would be today? That's the way it was back in the day. Houston with the Phi Slamma Jamma, the UNLV teams that were incredible, the Illinois team mentioned above, Michigan, the Big East, ACC, Big Ten... It was a true joy to witness. Miss those days and sorry what college basketball has become.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Even as a casual at best College Baasketball Fan,  I found Jerry Tarkanian's teams to be very entertaining and him to be a coach that made the sport more enjoyable.   Tark will be greatly missed.

Quote: I loved the Big East during that era.  Boy, Seton Hall was good, St. Johns was good, Georgetown, Syracuse, Nova, Pitt.  I miss that era of college ball. 

I recall that in 1985,  3 of those teams,  Villanova,  Georgetown,  and St. John's all made it to the Final 4.    I'm not sure if this was the only time 3 teams from a Conference made it to the Final 4.   But it's definitely not the norm.