Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: yes or no
yes
no
[Show Results]

will Caldwell stick to his words about..

Quote:And Doug Free.
Not sure why they want us getting a 29 yr old Forsett. I would love Free and McCourty though.

McCourty would help Cyprien tremendously and Free would help Linder as well. Give me a little Maclin or Cobb or Torrey and boom, you got yourself a great FA start. Charles Clay would be a good addition too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:being players in free agency.. would be nice to add some talent.. we only have like 60 million in cap money lol..
Its about bringing in talented guys that can help out the franchise you dont want him just to throw money at big names that wont play better then the existing guys on the team.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015, 02:16 PM by muddylips.)

I'm hoping that Dave will try to acquire some f/a help as he said he would because we surely need the help. My concern is that our past experience with free agents has been that too often they really weren't very helpful; too many guys have been brought here who were grossly overpaid their worth  or came here with the attitude of it being a 'paid vacation' or just simply aren't very good.

It's nice we have a lot of cap room; but cap room means nothing if it isn't expended on players who are going to actually help. We can't afford vets coming here who aren't going to be play makers! The days of the Jags being the 'elephants grave yard' for veterans must not continue!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:I sure hope not.

That mindset has got us absolutely nowhere.
I agree, need to go after big name guys, if it doenst work oh well, we have the cap room and a rich owner, its not gonna kill the franchise we are already terrible, might as well swing for the fences

We have enough young players, so its not like we are not drafting and developing too

Give me Suh, Cobb, Julious Thomas and Bulaga  

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I think so. I want Greg Hardy, Suh, Mark Ingram and McCourty.

I forgot about Hardy oh yea and McCourty go after them all

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

He has no choice. The CBA requires us to spend money. We have no players to re-sign so we have to meet it with free agents.

Adding a RT like Free and two premium free defensive free agents should be his may concern. An additional pass catching option should be there as well. Adding top defensive drafts picks and mid round o-line talent will have this team competing even more. 

I don't 100% understand how the salary cap works, but he can say he will spend money all he wants, but the players still have to sign.  

I'm expecting the bigger FA signings to be on the offense depending on who actually is available.  This team needs some vet experience on that side of the ball.  Realistically, maybe two big deals followed by a few more 2nd tier guys. 

I'd like to see them go for broke and sign as many guys as possible.  Being a winner in free agency rarely translates to being a winner on the field but this regime is at the point that they need to show drastic improvement this year.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM by maheo30.)

Desiring to spend money and actually being able to do it are two different things. I'd love them to be spenders, but I don't want them wasting money and overspending like on a Suh or any of the top wideouts on the market this year. You also need to be able to lure a guy to Jax. If guys are willing to take a little less money to play for a playoff team then there is nothing Caldwell can do.

Seeing Mario Williams sign with the Bills a few years back reminded me that money talks. If we are paying they will come.

Quote:Seeing Mario Williams sign with the Bills a few years back reminded me that money talks. If we are paying they will come.

Didn't Mario kinda suck after that?  I am all about spending money, but don't spend it on crappy players.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

There is a salary cap and there is also a salary floor. The specifics of which follow a rolling average of multiple seasons. The bottom line is that the Jags must spend more of the cap money to avoid getting in trouble with the league, so the answer to the question is pretty self evident.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Anybody find it weird you can get punished for not spending money? Probably not.

Quote:Anybody find it weird you can get punished for not spending money? Probably not.
My wife does it to me all the time. It's pretty normal.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

This team needs a proven vet on the offensive line to lead our youth movement up front. I would love to have a guy like suh here but don't think his character will fit and he is going to want alot of money. Greg hardy would definitely be a good pick up and some help at saftey

This team has no reason not to spend big money.  This team has way too much youth.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:This team has no reason not to spend big money.  This team has way too much youth.

Agreed.  I am perfectly willing to sign for big bucks at any position.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

It also is not a coincidence that most of the good teams have older players with experience.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The salary floor is based upon a team spending 89% of the PROJECTED salary cap average for the four years 2013 through 2016. It is also the actual cash payout and NOT the salary cap calculations for prorated contracts and signing bonuses. Also, a team doesn't have to spend to the limit of the floor in new signings, it can spend it on players currently under contract, in fact that is what they must do if they don't reach the floor. 

Suppose the Jags are $10 million short of the floor at the end of Free Agency. They will have to pay it in equal quantities to each member of the team over the 2013 and 2014 seasons. 

Regards.................the Chiefjag

The Jags will spend.  I can't imagine any reason to doubt this.  There are bound to be at least one or two players they are willing to overpay that hit the open market. 

They will  likely go after a couple of A-list free agents - but there's obviously no guarantee they land their target(s).