Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: yes or no
yes
no
[Show Results]

will Caldwell stick to his words about..

Quote:Didn't Mario kinda suck after that? I am all about spending money, but don't spend it on crappy players.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/mariowilliams/2495982/careerstats'>http://www.nfl.com/player/mariowilliams/2495982/careerstats</a>

Far from kinda sucks. The dude has balled out in buffalo. Top elite players will go to highest bidder. Look at what revis is getting. He went to Tampa to get 20 million a year lol.

We have a ton of crappy players that's why we have the money to spend in the first place. Let's be happy we have a chance to land a Justin Houston or a Randall Cobb

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So y'all think the Williams and Revis signings were good deals?

To give any player, that isn't a franchise QB, 1/10 of your salary cap space is ridiculous.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

I vote for corn.
[Image: giphy.gif]

The Jags have a long and 'storied' history of over paying veterans who then generally only produce mediocre performance... at best. Beadles is the latest of the sub-par vets brought here. He wasn't good enough for the bronco's to want to keep to protect 'jughead'. So what happens? We bring him here and pay him a large salary to protect our rookie franchise quarterback... only to see that quarterback take an epic number of sacks!

I can only hope that the team can break away from the mistakes of the past of generally bringing 'second tier' vets here and paying them like they are stars! I've no problem with the team shucking out big bucks to a veteran player... but I want to see a free agent vet that is actually worth the money!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Be careful what you wish for.  FA is always a crapshoot.  Plus, a big signing can upset the balance in the locker room, especially if the new $50 million man acts like royalty or tanks it on the field.  Or both.  For every Poz the Jags have signed in FA, there have been 3 or 4 Jerry Porters.  Caldwell has done pretty well with lower-tier FAs like Marks and Miller, and also with more expensive FAs like Clemons and Red Bryant.  Beadles was probably not a great move, but at least he's on the field every offensive play and not on IR or the bench.

So, I wouldn't mind seeing DC pop for a big splash signing, as long as it's the right player, a core player.  The 10+ sacks a year guy, or the 5-year fixture on the OL, or the playmaking FS, or the TE who creates mismatches in the secondary.  If one of these is there and the character fit is good, pay the money and make the team better.  I also want Dave to keep looking at the fringe FAs like Marks, guys who maybe were a bad fit for their old team, not used correctly, or just didn't get a lot of playing time for whatever reason.  Those guys looking for a second chance and who will sign a 1-year contract to prove themselves worthy of a longer deal.  Or just a lower-tier guy who can provide stability and depth - good teams need quality role players.  Or like Del Rio and Coughlin used to do, bring in a Special Teams ace or two who can also back up at LB or WR or SS. 

Quote:....

So, I wouldn't mind seeing DC pop for a big splash signing, as long as it's the right player, a core player.  The 10+ sacks a year guy, or the 5-year fixture on the OL, or the playmaking FS, or the TE who creates mismatches in the secondary.  If one of these is there and the character fit is good, pay the money and make the team better.  I also want Dave to keep looking at the fringe FAs like Marks, guys who maybe were a bad fit for their old team, not used correctly, or just didn't get a lot of playing time for whatever reason.  Those guys looking for a second chance and who will sign a 1-year contract to prove themselves worthy of a longer deal.  Or just a lower-tier guy who can provide stability and depth - good teams need quality role players.  Or like Del Rio and Coughlin used to do, bring in a Special Teams ace or two who can also back up at LB or WR or SS. 

I keep on getting the feeling that they are going to make a run at Larry Fitzgerald. The numbers don't really work out but I feel like he is the kind of player that they really want on the roster, someone who has not only been there / done that, but has done it at a high level.

Every other player who will most likely be available - this is me suggesting that players such as Bryant, Suh, and Houston will not be - just seems to be a mid-tier caliber player.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I think the approach should be similar to last years, just on other position groups obviously.

If we could get solid starters at RT, TE, FS and/or SS, LB, and possibly another WR, even if we don't sign any major "splash" type players, I think that's the way to win.

One of the guys we drafted hopefully becomes a splash type player.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I'm usually not big on FA but we are in desperate need of talent. I still say the drat is the main way to build but we need to sign premium players. Not give huge contracts to the Lauraent Robinson's but if we have to give a big deal to Justin Houston I'm fine with that.

If you are not okay with this kind of thinking them I'm not sure what else to say. Even green bay spent money to get Charles Woodson back in the day. The Pats just spent to get Revis.

Let's start focusing on acquiring top players any way possible to prove this team.

Quote:This team needs a proven vet on the offensive line to lead our youth movement up front. I would love to have a guy like suh here but don't think his character will fit and he is going to want alot of money. Greg hardy would definitely be a good pick up and some help at safety

Suh has character issues, but go ahead, bring Greg Hardy in!  He doesn't have any!

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 01:17 PM by Caldrac.)

It's not so much as Caldwell keeping his word. I believe he will go after some key and vital players from this year's market. However, you have to consider the two below aspects.

1. Not every player wants to play for a big paycheck, don't get me wrong, a good amount do, that's normal of course, however, most of these guys are wanting to play on a team that wins and wins consistently.

2. Because of our poor overall records over the last few years you're more than likely going to have to overpay by a good amount of money to entice or bait one of those big name players to come here.

Again, it's not like we're not used to that from our history with players in the past. And, I do think Caldwell is pretty sharp when it comes to setting up these contracts. So we'll see how it shakes out. I still think Caldwell's philospohy is to build through the draft and add depth through the market. And I think he'll stick to that. This is it though. This is the make it or break it year for Caldwell and Bradley. Khan might give Caldwell a break and cut ties with Bradley if 2015 doesn't bode well but then you're really hurting this team overall no matter what you decide to do. New coaching staff in 2016 would now mean the third installment offensively for Bortles and a young offense as it already is that will more than likely continue to add younger guys through the draft. Tough situation man. This is going to be an interesting year for this franchise to say the least in 2015 and it all starts shortly with this free agency class.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 03:33 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:It's not so much as Caldwell keeping his word. I believe he will go after some key and vital players from this year's market. However, you have to consider the two below aspects.

1. Not every player wants to play for a big paycheck, don't get me wrong, a good amount do, that's normal of course, however, most of these guys are wanting to play on a team that wins and wins consistently.

2. Because of our poor overall records over the last few years you're more than likely going to have to overpay by a good amount of money to entice or bait one of those big name players to come here.

Again, it's not like we're not used to that from our history with players in the past. And, I do think Caldwell is pretty sharp when it comes to setting up these contracts. So we'll see how it shakes out. I still think Caldwell's philospohy is to build through the draft and add depth through the market. And I think he'll stick to that. This is it though. This is the make it or break it year for Caldwell and Bradley. Khan might give Caldwell a break and cut ties with Bradley if 2015 doesn't bode well but then you're really hurting this team overall no matter what you decide to do. New coaching staff in 2016 would now mean the third installment offensively for Bortles and a young offense as it already is that will more than likely continue to add younger guys through the draft. Tough situation man. This is going to be an interesting year for this franchise to say the least in 2015 and it all starts shortly with this free agency class.
I fully understand where you are coming from, I just feel some people gravely underestimate how much these guys would rather get paid than play for a contender. Revis was playing in Tampa Bay to make 20 million a year. He went to New England to make the same thing. Any free agent is going to get over paid period. That's just the way it works. Thats why guys want to get to free agency to make the most money they can. Now the older guy or the player, like Revis who has made so much money will go to the contender for less is a possibility but these instances are so far and few in between. Maybe the contender for a million less but if their is a 4 million dollar difference I don't see that happening. 

I trust Caldwells ability to identify the quality high priced player that will get over paid and produced. He's made way more good moves than bad moves. His worst move talent wise was Dakota Watson. If thats his worst personnel decision then i'll take it. As a jags fan the off-season is about the best thing we have to look forward to. If we buy the bar then I'm fine with it because at this point that is all i have to give me hope for the immediate future of the team. 

Now i'm not saying forget the draft. Use the draft but don't be afraid to add a couple of high priced free agents if you think they can improve the team. We went after Mack. I think we go after some others this year. 

Quote:Suh has character issues, but go ahead, bring Greg Hardy in!  He doesn't have any!
That's what I'm saying; that made no sense. I'd take both though.

Quote:That's what I'm saying; that made no sense. I'd take both though.
Suh has on the field issues (personal fouls).... Hardy has legit off the field issues. 2 totally different things.

Quote:Suh has on the field issues (personal fouls).... Hardy has legit off the field issues. 2 totally different things.

I'll take his on field issues over Hardy's off field issues.  But really, I wouldn't want either of them.

One of these years.............

Quote:I'll take his on field issues over Hardy's off field issues.  But really, I wouldn't want either of them.
Agreed.

Wouldn't touch Hardy with a ten foot pole though.

Just to bump this topic:

'

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/568818199363489793' title="12:03 PM - 20 Feb 2015">8m</a>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/568818199363489793' title="12:03 PM - 20 Feb 2015">8 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Dave on FA "we're not going to spend just to spend but we're going to be aggressive."

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">----------------------

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jaguars'>Jacksonville Jaguars ‏@Jaguars </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/568818300916006913' title="12:03 PM - 20 Feb 2015">9m</a>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/568818300916006913' title="12:03 PM - 20 Feb 2015">9 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">"If there's a player we want, we're going to do whatever we need to do to get him." - Caldwell on Free Agency.

To me the fans of Jacksonville have cried out for an edge pass rushing DE for as long as I can remember... many of failed draft picks, free agency signs, etc...

Chris Clemons had a good year and the team was in the top 5 for sacks this year... but what a great move to do if GM Dave Caldwell

brought in DE JPP from the NYG as the LEO!

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2015, 05:09 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:There is a salary cap and there is also a salary floor. The specifics of which follow a rolling average of multiple seasons. The bottom line is that the Jags must spend more of the cap money to avoid getting in trouble with the league, so the answer to the question is pretty self evident.

This.

And this:

https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status...9363489793

Dave on FA "we're not going to spend just to spend but we're going to be aggressive."

**EDIT**  Sorry, NYC4jags, didn't mean to steal your thunder.  I was posing a reply from a previous page and didn't realize you'd already posted that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The Jags have a long and 'storied' history of over paying veterans who then generally only produce mediocre performance... at best. Beadles is the latest of the sub-par vets brought here. He wasn't good enough for the bronco's to want to keep to protect 'jughead'. So what happens? We bring him here and pay him a large salary to protect our rookie franchise quarterback... only to see that quarterback take an epic number of sacks!

I can only hope that the team can break away from the mistakes of the past of generally bringing 'second tier' vets here and paying them like they are stars! I've no problem with the team shucking out big bucks to a veteran player... but I want to see a free agent vet that is actually worth the money!
It's not because acquiring free agents-even expensive ones-is in itself bad.

Good scouting teams can effectively scout college players and ascertain their value and fit on the team.

They also have to make those same considerations-age, injury history, scheme fit, talent, cost, etc.-in acquiring free agents.

Under Shack and Gene, too often this team was not good enough scouting college or pro players.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:It's not because acquiring free agents-even expensive ones-is in itself bad.

Good scouting teams can effectively scout college players and ascertain their value and fit on the team.

They also have to make those same considerations-age, injury history, scheme fit, talent, cost, etc.-in acquiring free agents.

Under Shack and Gene, too often this team was not good enough scouting college or pro players.

I don't know if it was a matter of not doing a good enough job of scouting players as it was a matter of not trusting the scouts in making decisions.  We've heard the stories about Coughlin completely ignoring his scouts when it came to drafting a guy like R. Jay Soward because he was hellbent on getting that ever elusive third receiver.

After Smith took over as GM, he told the story of supporting drafting Big Ben the year after selecting Leftwich, saying that he had recommended this and was shot down by Harris.

I'm sure there are some stories of how Gene was the smartest guy in the room as he ignored his scouting reports and drafted small school guys or reached for players who weren't worth it because he knew better.

I think the current front office has shown a more measured, thoughtful approach to building the roster.  We'll see this year how they handle being flush with cash in free agency.  I don't expect to see them spending for the sake of spending, and Caldwell's comments back that up.  They're going to spend, but I think they'll continue to use the same prudent approach.  There are guys they clearly are targeting, and it sounds like they'll spend what is necessary to land these players.  I expect to see them nabbing a couple of players in the first day or two of free agency, which is a departure for them.  Still, I think they'll make smarter moves in identifying guys who fit with what they are trying to accomplish here.  People expecting multiple huge ticket big named free agents are going to be disappointed.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]