Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Right Tackle

Lol Michael oher
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Definitely should sign a free agent AND draft one in later rounds.

Competition, competition, competition.

I totally agree, but if we do that there will be no competition between the veteran and rookie. And who would that veteran be if the Packers lock up Bulaga?

I think his biggest issues has been being injured.  He didn't start all of last season, then got injured when he did get in, but did play well.  Last year he was plagued with injuries as well. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:I think his biggest issues has been being injured.  He didn't start all of last season, then got injured when he did get in, but did play well.  Last year he was plagued with injuries as well. 

But even when healthy, he was not good enough to be a starter somewhere else. We need a player who would start for a playoff team. Just being the best guy we have is not good enough when you look at who his backups are.

If the Lions don't re-sign Corey Hillard and the season ending foot injury he suffered against the Giants is a thing of the past,  I think Hilliard would be a good stopgap option for the Jaguars.    Hilliard is the type of player who would be ideal to have with a drafted prospect that projects as the long term answer at the RT position.   Great intangibles and a track record of being a starter in games that the Lions ended up winning.

Quote:But even when healthy, he was not good enough to be a starter somewhere else. We need a player who would start for a playoff team. Just being the best guy we have is not good enough when you look at who his backups are.

Here's the thing though, who are you going to bring in that's going to be a long term solution? It would need to be a n all-pro caliber offensive lineman that's just entering his prime.  If Paztor develops this season and continues to improve, he could outplay whoever we bring in for the longterm anyway should they not be all-pro status (which I don't see any consistent all-pro lineman making it to FA), leaving us no return on FA investment if he ends up outplaying the person we bring in.

I would rather spend the big money on a WR that could take some of the focus off Robinson and Blackmon if he comes back, and a TE that can be a real threat in the end zone to catch a jump ball.  Getting a potential upgrade in the LB core and FS also if there is someone worth going after as well.

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Oher can not run block that's why he got released from the Ravens and now the Titans. He is not a top prospect.

If Oher is considered a top free agent, all that's saying to me is the free agent pool for OTs isn't very good. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Bulaga or bust

Doug Free would also be solid get

Remember the players that are going to be released because of cap problems. We really do not know who will be available.This is the one spot I think we get someone the first 2 days of FA.I don't think we need to do a complete overhaul of the line.Competition though is a must. Even at LT!

Quote:He has plenty of upside still. I'd still prefer a significant upgrade, aka Bulaga
this

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Here's the thing though, who are you going to bring in that's going to be a long term solution? It would need to be a n all-pro caliber offensive lineman that's just entering his prime.  If Paztor develops this season and continues to improve, he could outplay whoever we bring in for the longterm anyway should they not be all-pro status (which I don't see any consistent all-pro lineman making it to FA), leaving us no return on FA investment if he ends up outplaying the person we bring in.

I would rather spend the big money on a WR that could take some of the focus off Robinson and Blackmon if he comes back, and a TE that can be a real threat in the end zone to catch a jump ball.  Getting a potential upgrade in the LB core and FS also if there is someone worth going after as well.

What we need is a guy who can do the job now while a draft pick develops. You are talking about developing two young guys and having nobody who can be an instant upgrade. We already tried that last year and it was a total disaster.

Quote:If Oher is considered a top free agent, all that's saying to me is the free agent pool for OTs isn't very good. 

The top free agent is Bryan Bulaga. And that is if the Packers don't re-sign him.

Quote:The top free agent is Bryan Bulaga. And that is if the Packers don't re-sign him.

He's referring to the OPs list.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I don't get the Bulaga fascination. He's young and pretty good when healthy, but by my count he's started 40 games in 4 years including the playoffs, only 37 in just the regular season. That's 9-10 games a year. He's had two season-ending injuries and also missed several games in his rookie year. This was his first healthy year He's a massive injury risk. I'd rather get a good vet who can be relied on for 1-2 years while we draft his replacement, like a Doug Free or King Dunlap. Both of them missed a few games this year but nothing like Bulaga's history. 

Quote:I don't get the Bulaga fascination. He's young and pretty good when healthy, but by my count he's started 40 games in 4 years including the playoffs, only 37 in just the regular season. That's 9-10 games a year. He's had two season-ending injuries and also missed several games in his rookie year. This was his first healthy year He's a massive injury risk. I'd rather get a good vet who can be relied on for 1-2 years while we draft his replacement, like a Doug Free or King Dunlap. Both of them missed a few games this year but nothing like Bulaga's history. 

You do realize we are not talking about making him the long-term answer, right? This is just to have a productive veteran while a rookie develops. And Doug Free missed a lot of games last year.

Quote:I'd rather get a good vet who can be relied on for 1-2 years while we draft his replacement.

I'd rather get a good vet and not have to worry about drafting a replacement period. That is why I continuously push Orlando Franklin. He's basically the same age as Bulaga, has shown versatility so we could plug him anywhere should somebody get hurt and his talents are needed elsewhere, and he is a solid run and pass blocker while only missing 1 game in 4 seasons.

Everyone is ignoring Derek Newton. young and played very well for the texans last year.

Quote:Everyone is ignoring Derek Newton. young and played very well for the texans last year.

Yeah, because he has only had one good year and that was a contract year.

Per rotoworld:

Coach Bill O'Brien confirmed Derek Newton will be the Texans' starting right tackle.
Newton struggled to play above replacement level despite starting all 16 games last season, grading out as a bottom-five tackle by Pro Football Focus. He was a liability in pass protection, allowing 37 quarterback hurries. Newton could eventually face competition from second-year RT Brennan Williams. Fri, Jun 13, 2014 07:37:00 PM

That is for the 2013-14 schedule. This last year may have been a sign that he is starting to figure things out, or it is a sign that guys play better in contract years.