Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
REALISTICALLY.....

Quote:When was the last time we averaged 20? I suspect that was the last time we were considered competitive

2010 - The Jags were in contention for the division title that year, but collapsed down the stretch.

Note: 20 per game = 320 per season. See the list below.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think the biggest thing leading to the improvement of the team's record is for Blake Bortles to completely step up his game.

If he can identify the sack situations and find the right check down then the sacks will decline substantially.

We all have seen glimpses of what Blake Bortles can do, now he just has to do it more consistently.

Center is definitely the most important position of the line. Pretty much everyone in my area is a Browns fan and so I saw the Browns a lot. They were a completely 180 shift from before and after the Mack injury. Before the injury, they had huge running holes, Hoyer had a lot of time to pass and the whole unit was very tough. After the injury, their were almost no running lanes, Hoyer had no time to pass and the whole line looked disfunctional. Even veteran, consistent pro-bowl LT Joe Thomas looked completely lost after the Mack injury. Like most, I don't think Bowanko did bad, but if I had to target one position, I would want either Hudson or Wisniewski to upgrade center more than Bulaga, Free or Franklin to boost RT.

I think if we could add a quality TE and a quality C, just those 2 signings, in my mind, would be enough to drastically improve the offense. I know most people's ideal offseason on offense means a veteran WR, veteran RT, veteran LT, veteran C, veteran TE and quality RB, but to me just add a TE and a high quality C and everything else should half [BAD WORD REMOVED] fall into place. I saw on bigcatcountry where they were showing how the blocking was a big reason why Gerhart struggled, plus injuries. I think improving the line means improving the running backs which means improving the quarterback.

I'd say if we do the following, we'll be pretty godo;

1. Bortles must develop, and be able to score touchdowns

2. O-line must protect Bortles

3. Run game must be more effective

4. Gotta stop the run.  We gave up 2000 rushing yards last year.  

5. Young receivers must develop.  Last year's excuse of inexperienced was fine.  Next year, it won't be.

6. Must make the most of every opportunity.  It's a cliche because it's true.

7.  Find a Free Safey in Free Agency.  

8. Draft a day 1 starter with our 1st pick

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I want a winning record. Now.
ikr? Me too man...

Quote:Center is definitely the most important position of the line. Pretty much everyone in my area is a Browns fan and so I saw the Browns a lot. They were a completely 180 shift from before and after the Mack injury. Before the injury, they had huge running holes, Hoyer had a lot of time to pass and the whole unit was very tough. After the injury, their were almost no running lanes, Hoyer had no time to pass and the whole line looked disfunctional. Even veteran, consistent pro-bowl LT Joe Thomas looked completely lost after the Mack injury. Like most, I don't think Bowanko did bad, but if I had to target one position, I would want either Hudson or Wisniewski to upgrade center more than Bulaga, Free or Franklin to boost RT.

I think if we could add a quality TE and a quality C, just those 2 signings, in my mind, would be enough to drastically improve the offense. I know most people's ideal offseason on offense means a veteran WR, veteran RT, veteran LT, veteran C, veteran TE and quality RB, but to me just add a TE and a high quality C and everything else should half [BAD WORD REMOVED] fall into place. I saw on bigcatcountry where they were showing how the blocking was a big reason why Gerhart struggled, plus injuries. I think improving the line means improving the running backs which means improving the quarterback.
damn good observation

thanks!

What realistically needs to happen for us to win a respectable amount of games next year? Easy. If Blake gets better, we'll get better.

Quote:What realistically needs to happen for us to win a respectable amount of games next year? Easy. If Blake gets better, we'll get better.

Yeah, but it isn't so easy. Blake just can't get better, not that simply. He needs help around him. We all agree the line was terrible. When the line fails to create holes, your running backs fail. When your running backs fail, it puts even more pressure on the quaterback. When the other team knows you can't run, they key on the QB that much more. Fix the line and the running improves meaning the passing improves.

Improve the o-line with a push for a strong RT and center. Olson will help Blake in his mechanics and reads, add some offensive weapons in FA, and draft well like last year.

Quote:We need Freddy T back in his prime.... or someone close to that.

Not that I disagree, I completely agree but HOF players (or near enough anyway) just aren't that easy to come by.  I'd settle for a healthy Denard Robinson for a whole year.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Good teams have a serviceable RB.... Great teams have an option.. a great power back and a scat back... Denard more closely resembles the scat back.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Not that I disagree, I completely agree but HOF players (or near enough anyway) just aren't that easy to come by. I'd settle for a healthy Denard Robinson for a whole year.
I would love it if we gave Denard a whole year. If he got blocking and could make it past the D line I think he could do quite well

Quote:Yeah, but it isn't so easy. Blake just can't get better, not that simply. He needs help around him. We all agree the line was terrible. When the line fails to create holes, your running backs fail. When your running backs fail, it puts even more pressure on the quaterback. When the other team knows you can't run, they key on the QB that much more. Fix the line and the running improves meaning the passing improves.
It actually is that easy.

Andrew Luck doesn't have elite talent around him... But because he is elite, they win 10+ games. 

Of the top 10 QB's (judged by QB rating), 8 made the playoffs. Only Drew Brees and Ryan Fitzpatrick missed the playoffs (Palmer is on the list but he had the Cards 9-1 before injury).

Obviously you need pieces around your QB to be successful but if Blake takes a huge leap, this team will be 4-5 games better.

Quote:It actually is that easy.

Andrew Luck doesn't have elite talent around him... But because he is elite, they win 10+ games. 

Of the top 10 QB's (judged by QB rating), 8 made the playoffs. Only Drew Brees and Ryan Fitzpatrick missed the playoffs (Palmer is on the list but he had the Cards 9-1 before injury).

Obviously you need pieces around your QB to be successful but if Blake takes a huge leap, this team will be 4-5 games better.

He has pretty good talent at receiver and tight end

Quote:He has pretty good talent at receiver and tight end

That was kind of what I was thinking. I mean he has 2 quality TES in Fleener and Allen as well as a great WR in Hilton and even Wayne, Moncrief and Nicks are still decent options. As much as I hate Luck and think he is seriously over-rated, he does do well for having no running game at all.

Quote:The offensive line must play better...I believe that is the biggest obstacle we are facing
Agreed. It has been said in a hundred ways over and over again; the offensive line is the heart of the offense.

The calls for an 8-8 (or better) season in 2015 is, while possible, not very realistic imho. A more realistic goal is 6-10, and that is no little feat considering our recent past records. I think it represents the minimum tangible progression in the development of this team for 2015. If it happens that we manage to pull out at least a 6-10 record this season, then 8-8 (or even better) becomes far more realistic in 2016. If after three full years into this rebuild the team can't achieve a modest 6-10 record... well, at that point things should be re-evaluated (aka-thechairisnowhot).

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:That was kind of what I was thinking. I mean he has 2 quality TES in Fleener and Allen as well as a great WR in Hilton and even Wayne, Moncrief and Nicks are still decent options. As much as I hate Luck and think he is seriously over-rated, he does do well for having no running game at all.
How would those guys be without Luck? He makes them look a lot better than they are. Wayne is nothing right now.... Hilton is very fast and Fleener has no hands at all. 

Luck is overrated? Ok.....

The talent on that team is minimal outside of Luck.

I say 8-8 is totally realistic.  This team isn't too far away and was in a lot of games last year.  We have a fantastic culture in place, most of the roster is ascending, a potential franchise QB, high draft position, and money to spend in FA.  The schedule should be more favorable than the last 2 seasons.

Quote:How would those guys be without Luck? He makes them look a lot better than they are. Wayne is nothing right now.... Hilton is very fast and Fleener has no hands at all. 

Luck is overrated? Ok.....

The talent on that team is minimal outside of Luck.

Of course Luck is able to succeed when he plays the Texans, Titans and I hate to say it, us 2 times per year each. I mean that is 2 games against the 15th, 21st and 22nd ranked passing defenses. The best opponent Luck was able to beat all year was Denver in the playoffs and the Ravens during the regular season. And both of those wins are jokes as Manning was completely ineffective due to his shoulder and the Ravens were still struggling when they played Indy. The true Luck is the one that handed the game to the Eagles, and got dominated by the Cowboys and Patriots and was also completely ineffective against the Browns until the Browns fell apart in all aspects in the 4th quarter.

If Luck didn't play in the 2nd worst division in the NFL where he gets 4 total games against the teams drafting 2nd and 3rd in the NFL draft, he would never even come close to the playoffs. If Luck had any sort of competition at all, he would be nothing. I really hope the Texans continue to improve and the Titans and us start to turn it around and Luck never wins the division again when the other teams are finally competitive.

Quote:Of course Luck is able to succeed when he plays the Texans, Titans and I hate to say it, us 2 times per year each. I mean that is 2 games against the 15th, 21st and 22nd ranked passing defenses. The best opponent Luck was able to beat all year was Denver in the playoffs and the Ravens during the regular season. And both of those wins are jokes as Manning was completely ineffective due to his shoulder and the Ravens were still struggling when they played Indy. The true Luck is the one that handed the game to the Eagles, and got dominated by the Cowboys and Patriots and was also completely ineffective against the Browns until the Browns fell apart in all aspects in the 4th quarter.

If Luck didn't play in the 2nd worst division in the NFL where he gets 4 total games against the teams drafting 2nd and 3rd in the NFL draft, he would never even come close to the playoffs. If Luck had any sort of competition at all, he would be nothing. I really hope the Texans continue to improve and the Titans and us start to turn it around and Luck never wins the division again when the other teams are finally competitive.
Yikes. You must not watch a lot of football if you think Luck would be "nothing" if he had competition.