Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Critical Question

Everyone is assuming that we will be able to pull in a stud RT in free agency, leaving us to draft Williams or Gregory at three. This situation would be great for us as it gives us experience and talent in one needy unit, and youth and talent in another.

But what if we can't bring in the RT? Everything changes. I don't think we could go into next season without an answer there. So we'd be obligated to do something in the draft, whether that's taking Scherff at 3 or somebody else later.

In any case, I think the acquisition of a talented FA RT is the single most influential pickup this off-season, at least as far as next year is concerned.

Do you agree with that statement? And, if we were unable to bring in such a free agent, what would you propose to do?
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't think "everyone" is assuming that.  I know I'm not and I'm not convinced it's necessary to go that route yet.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We're not taking Scherff at 3.

We can get a RT in round 2 or 3 if we can't get a solid RT in free agency.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I was thinking we might not get our fix for RT in FA but maybe in the 3rd round or so. Only time will tell.

I think this whole "free agent right tackle" business is just a very clever way around the profanity filter.  

I also think they will find an upgrade there in free agency.  

Besides - if Pasztor could heal up and return to his 2013 form - we'd be better off than anything we saw last season.  I'm not sure why that's constantly dismissed as an impossibility. 

I don't see this as so "critical."  Blake Bortles getting better is critical. Joeckel getting better is critical.  They'd have to screw pretty up bad NOT to improve at RT. 

Quote:I think this whole "free agent right tackle" business is just a very clever way around the profanity filter.

Are you serious? Everyone knows a free agent is better than a draft pick if we can get one from Green Bay.

If we don't upgrade both tackles bortles is going to continue to get eaten alive

Quote:Are you serious? Everyone knows a free agent is better than a draft pick if we can get one from Green Bay.

I was making a joke about this line in the OP:

Quote: 

In any case, I think the acquisition of a talented FA RT

is the single most influential pickup this off-season

really the whole o-line needs an upgrade aside from linder

Quote:really the whole o-line needs an upgrade aside from linder

lol, If you really think that then you might as well stop watching football because you'll never be happy. RT is about the only position that absolutely requires extreme measures. Joeckel will improve, Beadles is about as decent as any FA you can get this year (Thus draft a LG), Mclendon will improve, and Linder is already there.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:lol, If you really think that then you might as well stop watching football because you'll never be happy. RT is about the only position that absolutely requires extreme measures. Joeckel will improve, Beadles is about as decent as any FA you can get this year (Thus draft a LG), Mclendon will improve, and Linder is already there.

McClendon?  :blink:  :blink:  :wacko:

No. 

Quote:lol, If you really think that then you might as well stop watching football because you'll never be happy. RT is about the only position that absolutely requires extreme measures. Joeckel will improve, Beadles is about as decent as any FA you can get this year (Thus draft a LG), Mclendon will improve, and Linder is already there.
I said upgrade, not extreme measure for the entire line. Joeckel is abysmal and bowanko did okay later but jury is still out on him. I forgot all about beadles I don't know why lol but yeah he was good. Both tackles need new starters and our center remains to be seen.

Quote:Everyone is assuming that we will be able to pull in a stud RT in free agency, leaving us to draft Williams or Gregory at three. This situation would be great for us as it gives us experience and talent in one needy unit, and youth and talent in another.

But what if we can't bring in the RT? Everything changes. I don't think we could go into next season without an answer there. So we'd be obligated to do something in the draft, whether that's taking Scherff at 3 or somebody else later.

In any case, I think the acquisition of a talented FA RT is the single most influential pickup this off-season, at least as far as next year is concerned.

Do you agree with that statement? And, if we were unable to bring in such a free agent, what would you propose to do?

I think upgrading RT is critical, probably the most important thing we could do this offseason.  

But if it doesn't happen, I don't think we are sunk as a team.   I found the Super Bowl instructive in terms of how to defeat a pass rush by getting the ball out quickly.  Also, Derek Carr said the reason he only got sacked 24 times last year was because Greg Olson taught him how to avoid getting sacked, how to read the defense and tell where the free rusher is going to come from, and how to set the protections to counter that. 

I think we'll have at least 12-15 new players on our 53 man roster next year.  Maybe a lot more than that.  It's hard to imagine we can't find someone who would upgrade the RT position.  One thing we can do is get a solid backup there if we have to go with Pasztor. 

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM by ATLjag.)

A FA RT would be welcome to relieve some of the pressure that Bortles has been feeling. 

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 09:17 AM by Stigma.)

RT's grow on trees. No team in their right mind would draft a RT with a Top 10 pick. If the Jags need to draft a RT, they should be able to draft one in either Rd 2 or most likely Rd 3.

In Rd 2, I like Donovan Smith of Penn State. Pick 36 is a little high for him and it is possible that he falls to Rd 3 - Pick 67.

In Rd 3, I like Daryl Williams of Oklahoma and Cedric Ogbuehi. I might consider Ty Sambaillo in Rd 3, but he is still a project that needs to get a lot stronger and be coached up better.

ORT is not what made the Jags Oline so bad. What made the Jags Oline so bad, was inferior coaching, too many rookies on the line with too little experience, injuries at ORT and a QB that was learning on the job. In the end the perception that the Oline is bad is based on the 71 sacks of which many if not most could have been avoided if Blake had been properly coached to identify the free sacker in the defensive alignment. Derek Carr of Oakland was coached up to see the free man and accordingly only suffered from 24 sacks versus the 71 that Bortles suffered from

Sometimes, things are not what the simplest answer suggests they are and such is the case with the Jags Oline play.

A FA RT isn't something you can really plan for. It usually just happens and sometimes you get to be pleasantly surprised.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM by Stigma.)

Regarding potential Free Agent Olineman, who is the biggest name on every teams list?

Most people in the know would say, that player is Brian Bulaga of the Green Bay Packers and he is an ORT.

Yet he is not the only ORT available.

Many people would say that the No. 2 Free Agent ORT is Doug Free but I totally disagree.

I think the No. 2 ORT is listed as an OLG and his name is Orlando Franklin, who played the ORT for the Broncos for 3 years.

One thing about ORT's and that is if that is the only position that the player can play he is less valuable than an ORT that can play either of the OG positions.

Doug Free is an ORT and that is the only position he can play, so that puts him behind a player like Orlando Franklin who has demonstrated he can play the OG position and do so as the No. 1 OG in this Free Agent Market.

I have my doubts that Brian Bulaga will be available in Free Agency, but I feel reasonably certain that Orlando Franklin will hit the Free Agent market and if Dave Caldwell wants him, then the Jags will sign him.

Quote:A FA RT would be welcome to relieve some of the pressure that Bortles has been feeling. 
I agree... but another free agent right tackle that isn't very good would stink!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

McClendon????? Bruh....

If we end up drafting a tackle I'd prefer him not to start at RT. I would hope he'd compete with Luke at LT and the lose swings out.

That being said I think FA is the way to go with Paztor isn't healthy.