Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Billick on the Jags

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Jacksonville Jaguars

This one is simple. The Jaguars finished dead last in points and were second to last in passing offense and total offense. Despite those statistics being bad enough to get someone fired, I think the Jaguars will regret parting ways with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch. Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game, and to say he had his hands full with this offense would be the understatement of the year. The Jaguars were starting a rookie quarterback (Blake Bortles) who was handing off to a second-year running back who was a college quarterback (Denard Robinson) and throwing to a receiving corps that included three rookies. To blow up the entire offensive foundation in the biggest year for growth for all these players is a mistake. Now Jacksonville must start from scratch. Yes, the Jags will be a year more mature, but they'll also have to learn another new playbook.

And it's not like the defensive statistics were any better. The Jaguars finished 26th in scoring and total defense and ranked 27th against the run despite playing in a division (the AFC South) that also includes the Titans and Texans, two teams that were hardly offensive powerhouses.

Jacksonville is facing a steep uphill climb.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...eason-work

I do agree that Fisch was put into a no win situation

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can't disagree but I'm hopeful

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars

<div> 
This one is simple. The Jaguars finished dead last in points and were second to last in passing offense and total offense. Despite those statistics being bad enough to get someone fired, I think the Jaguars will regret parting ways with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch. Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game, and to say he had his hands full with this offense would be the understatement of the year. The Jaguars were starting a rookie quarterback (Blake Bortles) who was handing off to a second-year running back who was a college quarterback (Denard Robinson) and throwing to a receiving corps that included three rookies. To blow up the entire offensive foundation in the biggest year for growth for all these players is a mistake. Now Jacksonville must start from scratch. Yes, the Jags will be a year more mature, but they'll also have to learn another new playbook.

And it's not like the defensive statistics were any better. The Jaguars finished 26th in scoring and total defense and ranked 27th against the run despite playing in a division (the AFC South) that also includes the Titans and Texans, two teams that were hardly offensive powerhouses.

</div>

Ah who cares what he thinks?

on the surface - sure, that's what it looks like.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:on the surface - sure, that's what it looks like.
IN reality that what it is

Quote:Ah who cares what he thinks?
A superbown winning coach with a job at a major cable network who pays him for his opinion.

Quote:A superbown winning coach with a job at a major cable network who pays him for his opinion.

I'm sure he's watched TONS of Jags football.

Huh

It is what it is and we'll see what happens come August. 

I didn't like nor dislike Jedd. I didn't like what I saw on the field or how Bortles seemed to be hamstrung by Fisch's decisions. It seemed the more the season went on the more Bortles was deteriorating. Something tells me from what we've read about him that not knowing the playbook was not an issue for him. Dude is not lazy and doesn't ride on his ability. He works his butt off. 

Whether or not his receivers, running backs and tight ends do or not remains to be seen. If the whole team had Blake's work ethic they would explode the way we want them to. 

Regret firing someone who was belittling our rookie quarterback? Thanks for your wrong opinion Brian.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars

<div> 

</div>

agree that fisch wasnt in a good situation. disagree that he is one of the great young offensive minds. fisch must have got snatched up as an OC on another team right? or at least a Qb coach or..................oh right....

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Ah who cares what he thinks?

This. Like I said in the Sapp thread, I can't stand this guy. He's so biased and says the dumbest crap everytime he's in front of the camera.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

His honest perspective, but good oline play makes EVERYTHING better. Including the defense
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I do agree that fisch was given a crazy hard job and it cost him. I wasnt a fan of what he was able to do but I sitll understand it was a crazy task to begin with. Anyways I hope for the best.

Fisch had more than a few surprise plays in his lil book of horrors, but they were usually followed up with bottom end mediocrity...

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Fisch was in a no win situation.  That said, for some reason, I honestly believe this front office knows what they are doing.

Quote:A superbown winning coach with a job at a major cable network who pays him for his opinion.

A major cable network pays Tim Tebow for his opinion.

So... yeah.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

He also really liked Gabbert at one point too.... So ......

If Brian Bllick knew what it took to fix an offense, his Ravens wouldn't have routinely been at the bottom 1/3 every year.

He rode the coattails of a Vikings roster that included Warren Moon throwing up multiple 4,000+ yard seasons (in the early 90s), Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Randal Cunningham, and Robert Smith. All you had to do is tell them to go play ball, and they would've put up a top-10 offense. I don't really find anything about Billick's career impressive except that he picked teams with extremely talented rosters.

I think Billick was absolutely right about the state of the roster. It was irresponsibly inexperienced, and that falls on Caldwell (who acknowledged as much). However, the thing people aren't mentioning with regard to Fisch's firing is Bortles' performance as the year went on.

Remember when he had the highest completion percentage among rookies, and a high YPA. Completion percentage fell below 60 percent by the end of the year, with YPA falling to around 6. There's a huge drop off in quality of play, and that came AFTER the bye.

Quote:He also really liked Gabbert at one point too.... So ......
Yes lets not forget that. Fisch good offensive mind? Are you kidding me?

No wonder he could barely get 1 SB with one of the greatest defense of our time.