Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Billick on the Jags

Quote:Yes lets not forget that. Fisch good offensive mind? Are you kidding me?

No wonder he could barely get 1 SB with one of the greatest defense of our time.

Prisco kept saying the same thing. Just because a guy is young for his position doesn't make him good at it. He may have been ahead of the curve at one point, but whatever he was doing clearly wasn't working here. Would it have been better with more vets? Almost certainly. But Bortles clearly took a step back as the year went on with no real change in personnel. That suggests something else was up.

There's a downside to being a "young offensive mind" too: you've never had to develop a qb from scatch before. Maybe Billick ignored this fact because he was never able to do it himself either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't either dislike or like Billick.  I will say he knows more about football than any of us on this board.   Many posters here see things with teal goggles so any negative comments said about the team will be met with insulting said source.

So far we have won 7 games in the last two years while finishing close to last in offense/defense for those years.  The critics have been right so far about how stink worthy the jags have been.  The only thing that will change perspective for most non hardcore Jags fans is the team has to start winning.  Winning is the reason why they play the game and the only real measure of how good a team is.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I don't either dislike or like Billick.  I will say he knows more about football than any of us on this board.   Many posters here see things with teal goggles so any negative comments said about the team will be met with insulting said source.

So far we have won 7 games in the last two years while finishing close to last in offense/defense for those years.  The critics have been right so far about how stink worthy the jags have been.  The only thing that will change perspective for most non hardcore Jags fans is the team has to start winning.  Winning is the reason why they play the game and the only real measure of how good a team is.

No doubt, but he's also one of those guys who acts like they invented the game. There's a reason he hasn't worked for a team since Baltimore.

Quote:I do agree that Fisch was put into a no win situation

I agree that Fisch was put into a very difficult position.  I said before that he may very well be a bad coordinator, but there is just no way to know for certain due to the youth on offense.  I suspect our new OC's success or failure will be less dependent on his own skill set and more dependent on the progression of the young guys.  In other words, we're still in for some more pain on offense next year although I do expect some general progress which hopefully should translate into more wins.  And certain posters on this board will still be screaming to fire everyone no matter what happens.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Bottom of the league in offense 2 years, the best solution is to stay the course. 

Time will tell if he's right about Fisch (I kind of doubt it), but he's completely misrepresenting our defense.

Outside of the first 4 games of the season (the first 3 in which Winson Guy was starting), our defense was above average.

Taking out offensive/special teams points given up, our defense allowed teams to score:  10, 16, 6, 13, 31, 31, 23, 24, 27, 13, 13, and 21 points the rest of the season for 19 PPG (which would have been the 7th best PPG in league).  That's what, 2 or 3 games you could argue they didn't play good enough?  Even with the offensive/special teams points, we still only gave up 21.67 PPG (would have been good for 13th).

I realize the totality of the season rankings doesn't look good, but those first four games were a nightmare.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015, 12:40 AM by clfcrn777.)

Quote:Bottom of the league in offense 2 years, the best solution is to stay the course. 

However, he has had radically different personnel each of those two years, including 3 different starting quarterbacks, and a revolving door at WR and RB. Totally new offensive line this year. Essentially had to teach his offense to two entirely different groups.... nobody had time to get comfortable (except chad of course, who was still horrible anyway).

Situational playcalling was a concern though. And given the young state of the roster, Gus clearly thought Fisch was overloading them. Not only were they learning a new playbook, all of the rookies were learning how to adjust to playing in the league against much better defenses. You could blame both Caldwell and Fisch for the offensive issues. 

Fisch's offense was making the players worse

"Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game"

Based on what?  He doesn't give any reason to support his opinion.

Quote:"Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game"

If he was, then why wasn't he picked up by a team looking for a "great young offensive mind"?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Fisch's offense was making the players worse

I don't see anything specifically that would prove you wrong, but I didn't see anything to prove you right either.  You could definitely make the argument about the offense being terrible but any offense is going to be terrible with the way the OL played for a rookie QB.  No coach would have changed that.

My prediction is that the offense will improve organically as the players gain more experience (and as Caldwell hopefully continues to improve the talent level) and when it turns the corner, the OC will get all the credit, no matter who it is.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:"Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game"

i dont think he meant to. lol.

I think Fisch will coach 1 year at South Dakota Valley State Tech A&M South International. And then return to coach FAU.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We saw deteriorating play across the offense.  By the end of the season you should see something you can build for the next year.  We saw none of that.  How many times did Gus say that we need to find plays that work and build on them.  Did we see that?

Onward and upward.  Honestly even if we see year one to year two improvement, the offense will be a big challenge.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:i dont think he meant to. lol.

I think Fisch will coach 1 year at South Dakota Valley State Tech A&M South International. And then return to coach FAU.

I know you're trying to be cute, but the guy was actually hired by Harbaugh at Michigan. Not exactly a terrible recovery.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I think Billick was absolutely right about the state of the roster. It was irresponsibly inexperienced, and that falls on Caldwell (who acknowledged as much). However, the thing people aren't mentioning with regard to Fisch's firing is Bortles' performance as the year went on.

Remember when he had the highest completion percentage among rookies, and a high YPA. Completion percentage fell below 60 percent by the end of the year, with YPA falling to around 6. There's a huge drop off in quality of play, and that came AFTER the bye.

I'm not trying to defend Jedd Fisch, because I didn't watch enough of your games last season to have a fair opinion on him, but this could also be on opponent DCs having more game-tape of Bortles and starting to expose his weaknesses more as the season went on. Were the teams starting to blitz more against him in the latter part of the season? I think I've read something about that in an article comparing rookie QBs a month or two ago. Blitzing usually works well against inexperienced quarterbacks. It happened to rookie (or other young) QBs before that they were looking good in their first few starts and then they started to slow down. Of course it's the progress a QB make between his rookie and 2nd year that mostly determine which way his career would go in the future. I still think Bortles has everything to be a good or potentially great QB. Now it's up to your new offensive coaching staff to develop Bortles and other young players around him. 

Lets not forget that Billick has not been named rumored or even suggested as taking a HC job or OC job by any NFL team in the last two years. The dude is a tool and really is just spouting information with out any knowledge of doing reserch.

Quote:I'm not trying to defend Jedd Fisch, because I didn't watch enough of your games last season to have a fair opinion on him, but this could also be on opponent DCs having more game-tape of Bortles and starting to expose his weaknesses more as the season went on. Were the teams starting to blitz more against him in the latter part of the season? I think I've read something about that in an article comparing rookie QBs a month or two ago. Blitzing usually works well against inexperienced quarterbacks. It happened to rookie (or other young) QBs before that they were looking good in their first few starts and then they started to slow down. Of course it's the progress a QB make between his rookie and 2nd year that mostly determine which way his career would go in the future. I still think Bortles has everything to be a good or potentially great QB. Now it's up to your new offensive coaching staff to develop Bortles and other young players around him. 

You bring up some good points in this comment.  One of the things that gets lost when evaluating an OC is that during practice time that coach gets to see what works and more importantly what doesn't work.  Particularly when your starting QB is a rookie.  I know Fisch got a bad reputation for his conservative playbook, but maybe that was the best his offensive team could do.  Every OC would love to be super aggressive, picking up 20-30 yards on every pass and averaging 5+ yds/carry.  But during the practice week if your rookie QB is averaging two interceptions & 4 dropped passes for every one completed downfield pass, that certainly won't be your gameplan for the upcoming game.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015, 01:06 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars

<div> 
This one is simple. The Jaguars finished dead last in points and were second to last in passing offense and total offense. Despite those statistics being bad enough to get someone fired, I think the Jaguars will regret parting ways with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch. Fisch is one of the great young offensive minds in this game, and to say he had his hands full with this offense would be the understatement of the year. The Jaguars were starting a rookie quarterback (Blake Bortles) who was handing off to a second-year running back who was a college quarterback (Denard Robinson) and throwing to a receiving corps that included three rookies. To blow up the entire offensive foundation in the biggest year for growth for all these players is a mistake. Now Jacksonville must start from scratch. Yes, the Jags will be a year more mature, but they'll also have to learn another new playbook.

And it's not like the defensive statistics were any better. The Jaguars finished 26th in scoring and total defense and ranked 27th against the run despite playing in a division (the AFC South) that also includes the Titans and Texans, two teams that were hardly offensive powerhouses.

Jacksonville is facing a steep uphill climb.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...eason-work

I do agree that Fisch was put into a no win situation

</div>
I view the situation with Fisch as a 'fumble' by the HC and GM. With a fully gutted team and building from the bottom up, I have a hard time seeing the wisdom in bringing a rookie NFL OC here. It's one thing to have a high percentage of rookies on your roster, but to also have a rookie HC and OC at the same time? That was asking for trouble from the get go!

Secondly, getting rid of Fisch did not (imho) make good football sense because now your second year players are back at 'square one' and having to learn a new play book all over again. I have to think that there was more to Fisch getting sacked than we've been told. The bottom line is that there is little reason to expect our offense to perform substantially better than they did last season (albeit they have one year of experience now) since they're now having to learn a new play book... again. They were already challenged by their inexperience, so why double up on that and also make them have to start over with a new OC?

I'm not particularly a fan of Billick, but I have to agree with him on most of what he said.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I don't think Jedd could have taken the offense to the enxt level so it doesn't matter what kind of position he was put in. Even Michigan didn't make him a full OC.

Quote:I don't think Jedd could have taken the offense to the enxt level so it doesn't matter what kind of position he was put in. Even Michigan didn't make him a full OC.
Then that begs the question... Why in (bad word removed) was he brought here then??? 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...