Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Billick on the Jags

I agree that Fisch wasn't put into the best of situations. However, he wasn't exactly part of the solution either.

No pain, no gain.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds like Brian just rambled off a bunch of stats. Doubt he even watched a game because the defense was definitely better then the stats portray.

Quote:Sounds like Brian just rambled off a bunch of stats. Doubt he even watched a game because the defense was definitely better then the stats portray.
That would be the standard operating procedure for pretty much every national talking head covering the NFL.  Few are actually covering this team.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Sounds like Brian just rambled off a bunch of stats. Doubt he even watched a game because the defense was definitely better then the stats portray.

I'm willing to bet that you are right.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Can't say I agree with his opinion on Fisch. Guy went from being an OC in the NFL to a positions coach in college. He can't be that brilliant.

Billick

/thread

To me it seemed like Fisch was in over his head. Possibly one day the learn from his mistakes experience working with NFL rookies will pay off. It was getting frustrating.

I think Fisch had to be let go to make sure it wasn't the players failing. A variable had to be replaced.

Quote:I'm not trying to defend Jedd Fisch, because I didn't watch enough of your games last season to have a fair opinion on him, but this could also be on opponent DCs having more game-tape of Bortles and starting to expose his weaknesses more as the season went on. Were the teams starting to blitz more against him in the latter part of the season? I think I've read something about that in an article comparing rookie QBs a month or two ago. Blitzing usually works well against inexperienced quarterbacks. It happened to rookie (or other young) QBs before that they were looking good in their first few starts and then they started to slow down. Of course it's the progress a QB make between his rookie and 2nd year that mostly determine which way his career would go in the future. I still think Bortles has everything to be a good or potentially great QB. Now it's up to your new offensive coaching staff to develop Bortles and other young players around him. 
This.

Compared to his first start against SD and his last start of the season vs Houston, the tape dosent lie. Defenses took a whole different way to disguising their blitzes by the end of the season. 

The conservative play calling was warranted on most occasions. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

This kind of statement is a headscratcher.  We won 3 games.  How were we better than the stats told?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Billick

/thread

To me it seemed like Fisch was in over his head. Possibly one day the learn from his mistakes experience working with NFL rookies will pay off. It was getting frustrating.

I think Fisch had to be let go to make sure it wasn't the players failing. A variable had to be replaced.
If this is the case why is Bradley off the hook.  AFter all he did hire the guy

He started with a veteran QB. So he had no excuse there. If you know your line can't block long then don't hold it long. He just had bad play calls. He wasn't aggressive and with a young group you need to be and let that momentum carry. Nothing about the game changes from tikes to pros. You call a play, run the play, you score points. You play D, score more points than the other team. Conservative play calling is what got him fired. I can tell you this that most will agree. No more points than we scored during the games we didn't know that offense very well.  

Quote:If this is the case why is Bradley off the hook.  AFter all he did hire the guy

The same reason Tom Brady wasn't drafted #1 overall.

There is no way to 100% know success, or failure beforehand.

Quote:The same reason Tom Brady wasn't drafted #1 overall.

There is no way to 100% know success, or failure beforehand.
It was still his judgement. 

Quote:It was still his judgement. 

I would accept his judgement being correct 75% of the time.

I also wouldn't be shocked if that were 10% more often than Belichick.

Quote:I would accept his judgement being correct 75% of the time.

What possible basis do you have for saying Bradley's judgment has been correct 75% of the time?

Quote:What possible basis do you have for saying Bradley's judgment has been correct 75% of the time?

Did I say that?

Quote:Did I say that?

Well it was certainly implied. Do you not believe that? 

Quote:Well it was certainly implied. Do you not believe that? 

I sure wasn't meaning to imply that, so it threw me off when you implied that I did.

Quote:I would accept his judgement being correct 75% of the time.

His judgement has been correct 75% of the time?  Have you not watched the games.  Horrible challenges, players not prepared, wasted timeouts, poor halftime adjustments, etc.  I'm along the lines of 25% of the time.

So it's mainly poor decisions ?   Lord knows no other coaches make those !!                         Pete Carroll says hi, btw....

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

I was on here posting the same thing when they fired Fisch.  Billick is right on.