Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Marrone a better head coach than Gus?

At this point, maybe.

Let's see what Gus does next year.  Also just because Marrone might be better, doesn't necessarily mean he should be head coach either.  I mean Del Rio is better than Mularkey, but we wouldn't really want either of them.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Gus Bradley shouldn't even be a head coach.

Does it seem the stupid threads started earlier this off season?

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

Quote:As a HC, Marrone is probably not even in the middle of the pack. The Bills won last year strictly because of our defense that Jim Schwartz won. Fred Jackson mentioned the Bills' success versus the NFC North teams last season was because of Schwartz who knew their tendencies. 

If you want a HC, I'd rather get Schwartz.
If Marrone isn't even middle of the pack, then what is Gus?

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015, 10:07 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:How about cleveland then?

The team the Jaguars beat 24-6 in which Bradley completely outcoached Pettine?

Yes!

Quote:And what exactly does that mean?

Coughlin didn't land anywhere either right after Jacksonville.
It means that, with a possibility of HC positions opening this year, he landed as an assistant head coach with a perennial bottom dwelling team in an over-all weak division! Not exactly a 'bell ringer' on the resume. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:More wins in one season than Gus has had in...
... but the team Gus has been handed to work with has at times played like rejects from the lingerie league! It's not a very objective comparison to use what Gus has had as a HC and what Marrone had. 

To judge how good a coach Gus is by wins and losses is a bit biased. Ask yourself this, How many NFL coaches could have kept a team playing as hard as the JAgs played the last two season. Not many. Gus is a good HC his job is to get the players ready to play every week. Now does he lack some experience in game planning and adjustments? yes and he got better this year then he was last year and will probably get better next year Hiring Marrone to help him take the next step shows he is smart enough to know what he needs help with and fixing it. I can see him being a great HC for the forseeble future.

Quote:It means that, with a possibility of HC positions opening this year, he landed as an assistant head coach with a perennial bottom dwelling team in an over-all weak division! Not exactly a 'bell ringer' on the resume. 

or it means that he is waiting a year for the right head coaching opportunity to open up.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:To judge how good a coach Gus is by wins and losses is a bit biased. Ask yourself this, How many NFL coaches could have kept a team playing as hard as the JAgs played the last two season. Not many. Gus is a good HC his job is to get the players ready to play every week. Now does he lack some experience in game planning and adjustments? yes and he got better this year then he was last year and will probably get better next year Hiring Marrone to help him take the next step shows he is smart enough to know what he needs help with and fixing it. I can see him being a great HC for the forseeble future.

Yawn...playing hard?  That the best we can come up with?

Everyone plays hard.  If not, they're out of this league.  When the only thing you can come up with is something that's completely subjective, you know there's not much positive to talk about.

Gus has kept the morale high, and that's about it.  I think he's managed to keep it high because our roster is made up by a bunch of rookies and young players, as well as 2nd tier veterans that got a 2nd chance in Jacksonville.

We will see if Gus has the opportunity to coach ultimate competitors and divas and we'll see if the post game ice cream parties continue to work.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:or it means that he is waiting a year for the right head coaching opportunity to open up.
... yeah, that too.

Ask any Bills fan; hell naw!

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Bills fans can say that he is one of their most successful head coaches in recent memory.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015, 12:52 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:To judge how good a coach Gus is by wins and losses is a bit biased. Ask yourself this, How many NFL coaches could have kept a team playing as hard as the JAgs played the last two season. Not many. Gus is a good HC his job is to get the players ready to play every week. Now does he lack some experience in game planning and adjustments? yes and he got better this year then he was last year and will probably get better next year Hiring Marrone to help him take the next step shows he is smart enough to know what he needs help with and fixing it. I can see him being a great HC for the forseeble future.
So HOW do we judge a coach? Should we have the players take a survey if they like their coach or not?

Whether some people like it or not, every coach is judged by their wins and losses. If you continue to lose even though your players "play hard" you won't last long in this league.

You can cut Gus some slack these past 2 seasons but the man has to start winning games. Its not biased at all to judge coaches on wins and losses. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

Quote:Yawn...playing hard?  That the best we can come up with?

Everyone plays hard.  If not, they're out of this league.  When the only thing you can come up with is something that's completely subjective, you know there's not much positive to talk about.

Gus has kept the morale high, and that's about it.  I think he's managed to keep it high because our roster is made up by a bunch of rookies and young players, as well as 2nd tier veterans that got a 2nd chance in Jacksonville.

We will see if Gus has the opportunity to coach ultimate competitors and divas and we'll see if the post game ice cream parties continue to work.
I have to go with you on this. 'Playing hard' is the norm, not the exception for professionals. These guys are paid big bucks to 'play hard' and if they don't they need to work doing something else. 

I don't discount the value of high morale; but, it only matters if it produces winning results, and so far it hasn't. Want real high morale? Winning produces genuine high morale, not psycho-babble double talk. High morale for the team and the fans that tends to feed one off the other... now that's high morale!

Quote:Bills fans can say that he is one of their most successful head coaches in recent memory.
That's kind of like being the tallest midget...

Quote:I know Doug is the assistant HC but would you rank Marrone as the superior coach based on his resume?

As the Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills Doug Marrone went 6-10 in his first year & 9-7 in his last year to finish with 15-17, .469 winning %

As the Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars Gus Bradley went 4-12 in his first year & 3-13 this season to finish with 7-25, .219 winning %

For that round (wins) Doug Marrone is twice as good as Gus Bradley.

Doug Marrone is 50 while Gus is 48 (similar age), Gus served four years as the Defensive Coordinator for Seattle SeaHawks while Doug Marrone was a HC of Syracuse during that same time frame.  Prior to that Marrone was the Offensive Coordinator for the Saints for three years while Gus was the LB coach of the Bucs during that same time frame. 

Marrone did see the Saints go to the NFC Championship game in his first year but the following two the team struggled, during that time Gus was learning under Jon Gruden and he coached Derrick Brooks (LB) to a probowl that season.

One coach is an offensive mind (Marrone) and the other is defensive (Bradley) so grading them is a bit harder based on team's coaching position rankings.

My gut feeling is Gus Bradley is the better positions  coach, but is struggling as a Head Coach.  I would still go with Bradley as the better coach though despite the record.

I know everyone wants to fixate on the records and they're using that to indicate that Gus is "struggling as a Head Coach", but I see it very differently.  You can't really compare what Marrone inherited in Buffalo to what Gus was handed here.  This team was fully expected to be bad over the past couple of seasons based on where it was when they stepped in, and what they needed to do to begin the process of turning things around.  I don't think Gus is struggling as a coach as much as he's simply playing the hand he's been dealt.  If the team continues to languish in the 4-5 win range in 2015, then he's obviously in over his head, but I don't think that's going to be the case. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I know everyone wants to fixate on the records and they're using that to indicate that Gus is "struggling as a Head Coach", but I see it very differently.  You can't really compare what Marrone inherited in Buffalo to what Gus was handed here.  This team was fully expected to be bad over the past couple of seasons based on where it was when they stepped in, and what they needed to do to begin the process of turning things around.  I don't think Gus is struggling as a coach as much as he's simply playing the hand he's been dealt.  If the team continues to languish in the 4-5 win range in 2015, then he's obviously in over his head, but I don't think that's going to be the case. 
this...