Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville is one of 35 US cities which is a contender to represent the US bid for the 2024 Olympics

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Jacksonvill...d/18999026

Is there anyone living in Jacksonville or Northeast Florida who likes the idea of Jacksonville hosting the Olympics, or any other major international sporting events? The biggest challenge facing the city would be infrastructure development and the huge costs involved. USOC admitted that the host city would have to spend a minimum of $3 billion dollars in order to support the event.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

3 billion?   no thanks

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

Let's figure out how to fund the city's pension fund first
;

;

Unfortunately, At this rate, We will all be underground by the time (if ever) Jacksonville has the infrastructure/money/prestige to host the olympics. I say this with all seriousness.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:Unfortunately, At this rate, We will all be underground by the time (if ever) Jacksonville has the infrastructure/money/prestige to host the olympics. I say this with all seriousness.
If you look at the growth of Jacksonville from the period of the late 1800's to about the 1980's-90's, the rate of growth has been explosive. Nowhere near as much as some other cities like DC and San Francisco, but just enough where Jacksonville is now recognized as a major North American city. With the rapid pace of technology and urban expansion, anything is possible in the next 20-30 years.

Quote:If you look at the growth of Jacksonville from the period of the late 1800's to about the 1980's-90's, the rate of growth has been explosive. Nowhere near as much as some other cities like DC and San Francisco, but just enough where Jacksonville is now recognized as a major North American city. With the rapid pace of technology and urban expansion, anything is possible in the next 20-30 years.
"Major North American city" and "able to afford $3 billion" are not the same thing though. 

For that price tag, no way. And a reason why many cities now do not want the Olympics.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I'm an Olympic junkie so first of all YES YES YES!

Now as for the price tag, I'm interested in seeing the revenue generated both for private businesses and for the city itself typically for summer games. And it's not just during the games. Whatever city is chosen gets a spike in tourism the years before and after the Olympics.

How much of the TV revenue does the city get?

Finally, this is all a pipe dream. After the USOC got egg on its face with Chicago losing to Rio for 2016 even after bringing in the president to speak for them, they'll want a less risky nominee than Jax.

Quote:I'm an Olympic junkie so first of all YES YES YES!

Now as for the price tag, I'm interested in seeing the revenue generated both for private businesses and for the city itself typically for summer games. And it's not just during the games. Whatever city is chosen gets a spike in tourism the years before and after the Olympics.

How much of the TV revenue does the city get?

Finally, this is all a pipe dream. After the USOC got egg on its face with Chicago losing to Rio for 2016 even after bringing in the president to speak for them, they'll want a less risky nominee than Jax.
Tourism revenue, TV revenue, business revenue are nowhere near as big as some people claim. If Jacksonville hosts the Olympics it could very well bankrupt the city.

Whoa... That is a LOT of money.... It is a few years off but can the city of Jacksonville find the money needed?

Quote:Tourism revenue, TV revenue, business revenue are nowhere near as big as some people claim. If Jacksonville hosts the Olympics it could very well bankrupt the city.
Coming from a Dutchmen of course.

Quote:Tourism revenue, TV revenue, business revenue are nowhere near as big as some people claim. If Jacksonville hosts the Olympics it could very well bankrupt the city.
Exactly.  All you need to do is look at some of the most recent host cities and where their economies are following the Olympics.  It's not a pretty picture.  No thanks.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Whoa... That is a LOT of money.... It is a few years off but can the city of Jacksonville find the money needed?
No.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

No No no no no no no no no, breath, no no no no no no no, deep breath no no no no...............

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:No No no no no no no no no, breath, no no no no no no no, deep breath no no no no...............

Eric? Eric? Eric!

Eric, you need to calm down you are hyperventilating.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

At least it's the Summer Games.  I was concerned we were getting in too deep by bidding on the Winter Games.

Quote:3 billion?   no thanks

this

then again I usually don't watch the Olympics at all

Quote:Eric? Eric? Eric!

Eric, you need to calm down you are hyperventilating.

sorry just the thought of ALL those people around me, sent me into a little of a panic.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Whoa... That is a LOT of money.... It is a few years off but can the city of Jacksonville find the money needed?

Jax can barely fix a pothole, let alone find 3 billion dollars.

Quote:Jax can barely fix a pothole.
You hopeless optimist.