Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville is one of 35 US cities which is a contender to represent the US bid for the 2024 Olympics

The bottom line here is that Jacksonville and 30+ other cities have been invited to try their luck in landing an Olympics. 

It's almost completely unlikely the city will pursue this for a variety of reasons, the most obvious being the sheer cost involved, and the fact that cities who invest heavily to host events like this or the Super Bowl generally wind up losing money on the venture. 

Jacksonville doesn't need the Olympics.  It serves no purpose in helping this community beyond lining the pockets of the IOC.  They're truly the only ones who benefit. 

Fortunately, I think there's still enough common sense among those who would make a decision like this to steer clear. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just to put into perspective just how big 3 billion would be. The Better Jacksonville Plan is a half cent till I believe 2030. And that was only raising 2.25 Billion.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->;

;

In my opinion, and I think this is becoming the line of thinking for many city leaders around the world, unless a city is already currently prepared with proper facilities and resources then they don't want any part of the Olympics. Even then, I think most still want to stay away from it. Until the powers that be with the Olympic Committee change their model I think it will stay that way for a long time. To much money sunk in and to little made off of it, and a lot of times just loss of money.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

$3 billion divided by 1 million residents is only $3,000 per person.  I'd be more than willing to pay $12,000 for our family of 4 to get The Landing some good worldwide exposure.  People would be flocking to our food court and arcade on the 2nd level.  We may need to expand the airport.

Quote:$3 billion divided by 1 million residents is only $3,000 per person. I'd be more than willing to pay $12,000 for our family of 4 to get The Landing some good worldwide exposure. People would be flocking to our food court and arcade on the 2nd level. We may need to expand the airport.

Haha, arcade has been gone for over a decade. I miss it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:$3 billion divided by 1 million residents is only $3,000 per person.  I'd be more than willing to pay $12,000 for our family of 4 to get The Landing some good worldwide exposure.  People would be flocking to our food court and arcade on the 2nd level.  We may need to expand the airport.
lol i love coming in and flying out of our airport... Its so simple compared to, well, everywhere else... But yeah thats not a great thing for the giant group of people that would be coming in if we won the bid....which i highly doubt or want to happen.

Wouldn't care if it was $10 bucks.. Still, hell no.. Way too many people for my liking.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]