Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Golf Talk

Any golfers on here?   Let's start a little golf talk. 

What's the weakest part of your game?   Mine is putting.   I am missing lots of short putts.   I could take 5 or 10 strokes per round off my score with some improvement in my chipping and putting. 

I'm also having trouble reading greens.   Last round, I had a 20 foot putt and wound up 8 feet left of the hole.   Somehow, I missed a huge slope to the left.    I don't know why I can't see the slopes on the greens. 

Next time I go the the range, I am just going to practice putting from 10 feet in.   I don't know why I have neglected this part of the game for so long.  

Anyway, what is the weakest part of your game?   How do you plan to improve it?  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I love golf.  Both watching and playing. 

Weakest part of my game?  I would say it depends what day it is. 

Some days I go out there and hit a perfect 7 iron, the next day my 7 iron will slice and almost kill someone, or I will take a divot the size of Massachusetts and the ball will go about 25 yrds. 

The dreaded chunk is what I call it. 

Putting is a pain too, all though I have gotten drastically better in the past yr then what I used to be. 

Bunker play is always pretty comical when I am on the course, along with pitching and chipping. 

To sum it up, I would say every aspect of my game with the exception of driving is pretty below avg.  Somehow I still manage to hit below 95, give or take a mulligans. 

I gotta work on my windmill hole shot.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015, 09:12 AM by RicoTx.)

Good around and on the green.

Generally good off of the tee.

Everything in between is a mystery.

I could break 90 or be over 105 depending on the day. It's a crapshoot.

For some reason I really like to put myself through it and will continue to do so.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Decent iron player, wedges are hit and miss, decent touch around the green, putting I struggle reading greens and speed, terrible off the tee. My driver has to be the weakest club in my bag and this has only started this year. I used to crush it off the tee. I got a new driver to try out so maybe that will make a difference (mentally at least).

Love to play. I'm just horribly inconsistent at all aspects.  I have outings when I'll be good with the wedges or the putter, but I've never had any formal training -  and I could use some help sorting out grip and an outside-in swing tendency with the longer clubs. 

I very rarely play more than 9 or 10 times a years with a half-dozen trips to the range mixed in, so….  kinda hard to pull it together.

My lowest score is a 91.  

Hoping that all changes when I move to FL in a few months.  :thumbsup:

Not living in an area where you can play year round definitely makes it more difficult.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM by Jerrad.)

I am a mega-slicer. The longer the club, the bigger the slice so I am horrible off the tee. One day for the heck of it, I decided to play the slice and aim far left of my target and I hit the purest, straightest shot in my entire life straight into the woods. I almost threw my clubs into the lake!

I'm pretty good at chipping and putting, and approach shots, but getting close enough to do any of that is my problem. I am glad I took up golf last year. It is very humbling.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Love to play. I'm just horribly inconsistent at all aspects.  I have outings when I'll be good with the wedges or the putter, but I've never had any formal training -  and I could use some help sorting out grip and an outside-in swing tendency with the longer clubs. 

I very rarely play more than 9 or 10 times a years with a half-dozen trips to the range mixed in, so….  kinda hard to pull it together.

My lowest score is a 91.  

Hoping that all changes when I move to FL in a few months.  :thumbsup:

If you move to the Jacksonville area, you will be in a golf mecca.   There are more golf courses per square foot here than anyplace else in the world, and greens fees can be pretty cheap, depending on where you play, of course.  

Yesterday I played Slammer and Squire at the World Golf Village.   A friend had a friend who had a coupon so we got to play really cheap.  It was a really fun day. 

It's what I would call a resort course, not hard at all, with wide open fairways so you can pound the ball off the tee.   I think they set it up to make sure people enjoy the experience.  After all, it's the World Golf Village so they want to make sure the guy from out of state enjoys himself. 

I played pretty well (for me) on the front nine, but on the back nine, my short game let me down as usual.  The closer I get to the hole, the worse I get.  Next time I go to the practice range, I am going to spend an hour working on short putting, 6 feet or less, and I'm going to keep working on that until I master it, because I am wasting all kinds of strokes missing short putts.  

Quote:Yesterday I played Slammer and Squire at the World Golf Village.   A friend had a friend who had a coupon so we got to play really cheap.  It was a really fun day. 

It's what I would call a resort course, not hard at all, with wide open fairways so you can pound the ball off the tee.   I think they set it up to make sure people enjoy the experience.  After all, it's the World Golf Village so they want to make sure the guy from out of state enjoys himself. 

I played pretty well (for me) on the front nine, but on the back nine, my short game let me down as usual.  The closer I get to the hole, the worse I get.  Next time I go to the practice range, I am going to spend an hour working on short putting, 6 feet or less, and I'm going to keep working on that until I master it, because I am wasting all kinds of strokes missing short putts.  
I like that course. The King&Bear has a few more "teeth" than Slammer/Squire.  Great facility there. 

In regards to your prior post, I lived in Jax for the first 26 years of my life, so I'm aware of the golf opportunities and really look forward to taking advantage of them. 

I've got the itch to play this week something fierce and there's snow on the ground.  Sigh….  I don't really have the time anyway. I'll be in Jax in mid-March for a few days.  Will definitely squeeze in a round then.

Quote:I like that course. The King&Bear has a few more "teeth" than Slammer/Squire. Great facility there.

In regards to your prior post, I lived in Jax for the first 26 years of my life, so I'm aware of the golf opportunities and really look forward to taking advantage of them.

I've got the itch to play this week something fierce and there's snow on the ground. Sigh…. I don't really have the time anyway. I'll be in Jax in mid-March for a few days. Will definitely squeeze in a round then.

Let me know when you're in again. I'll hook us up somewhere good again.

So I was out at the course practicing yesterday, and I met a guy who told me he was a former touring pro, mostly on the mini-tours, but occasionally he made a PGA Tour event.   He looked like he was about 45 or 50.   It was amazing the way he could hit the ball with such a nice, easy swing.  He said the key is tempo.   Boy, did he have tempo.   Every shot was long and high and straight with a slight draw on it.   I was wondering why he and I seemed to be putting the same amount of effort into our shots, but he could hit the ball so much farther.   We were the same size.   Then I noticed that his downswing started at his left knee, then waist, then shoulders.  He uncoiled like a spring, from the ground up.  By the time the club head hit the ball, he had generated a lot of club head speed with seemingly little effort. 

He told me the most difficult thing for him to practice is to slow down his swing to a nice, easy tempo.   He said the secret to success is a nice, easy tempo. 

Quote:So I was out at the course practicing yesterday, and I met a guy who told me he was a former touring pro, mostly on the mini-tours, but occasionally he made a PGA Tour event.   He looked like he was about 45 or 50.   It was amazing the way he could hit the ball with such a nice, easy swing.  He said the key is tempo.   Boy, did he have tempo.   Every shot was long and high and straight with a slight draw on it.   I was wondering why he and I seemed to be putting the same amount of effort into our shots, but he could hit the ball so much farther.   We were the same size.   Then I noticed that his downswing started at his left knee, then waist, then shoulders.  He uncoiled like a spring, from the ground up.  By the time the club head hit the ball, he had generated a lot of club head speed with seemingly little effort. 

He told me the most difficult thing for him to practice is to slow down his swing to a nice, easy tempo.   He said the secret to success is a nice, easy tempo. 

Let's face it.  The secret to success is having enough $$ to continuously practice and obtain lessons from the Pros.  Otherwise, just drink a few beers, hack away, and enjoy the day.

yes it should 5 or more puts are allow to basically very good.

Quote:Let's face it.  The secret to success is having enough $$ to continuously practice and obtain lessons from the Pros.  Otherwise, just drink a few beers, hack away, and enjoy the day.

I think you can have a fair degree of success with a little study and practice.   There are thousands of instructional videos on youtube.   Combine that with a few buckets of balls at a driving range, and you can see a lot of improvement.   Golf isn't easy.  But the great thing about it is, you can play it your entire life.   I have met a couple of 90 year olds who still go out and try to hit it around.  

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 07:27 AM by RicoTx.)

Quote:I think you can have a fair degree of success with a little study and practice.   There are thousands of instructional videos on youtube.   Combine that with a few buckets of balls at a driving range, and you can see a lot of improvement.   Golf isn't easy.  But the great thing about it is, you can play it your entire life.   I have met a couple of 90 year olds who still go out and try to hit it around.  

Precisely.  For somebody that's played sport his entire life, it gives me something to still compete at.  Even if it's with myself.  

My daughters call my golf and bowling my 'old man sports' as they grew up watching my play all of the other real sports.

Actually playing tomorrow at Julington Creek.  I would have chosen somewhere else, but I let my friend make the tee time.  Whatever, I'll be playing golf.

Quote:Any golfers on here?   Let's start a little golf talk. 

What's the weakest part of your game?   Mine is putting.   I am missing lots of short putts.   I could take 5 or 10 strokes per round off my score with some improvement in my chipping and putting. 

I'm also having trouble reading greens.   Last round, I had a 20 foot putt and wound up 8 feet left of the hole.   Somehow, I missed a huge slope to the left.    I don't know why I can't see the slopes on the greens. 

Next time I go the the range, I am just going to practice putting from 10 feet in.   I don't know why I have neglected this part of the game for so long.  

Anyway, what is the weakest part of your game?   How do you plan to improve it?  
Honestly practicing 10 footers is a complete waste of time. Work on 3 to 6 feet, and then 20 to 35. The former is to work on putting a more pure stroke on your putts, and the latter is to work on your speed control. Look up putting drills using tees, towels, alignment sticks, etc. otherwise you are also wasting your time. If you are not doing a drill or working on something while you practice you're just exercising and not improving your game.

Quote:So I was out at the course practicing yesterday, and I met a guy who told me he was a former touring pro, mostly on the mini-tours, but occasionally he made a PGA Tour event.   He looked like he was about 45 or 50.   It was amazing the way he could hit the ball with such a nice, easy swing.  He said the key is tempo.   Boy, did he have tempo.   Every shot was long and high and straight with a slight draw on it.   I was wondering why he and I seemed to be putting the same amount of effort into our shots, but he could hit the ball so much farther.   We were the same size.   Then I noticed that his downswing started at his left knee, then waist, then shoulders.  He uncoiled like a spring, from the ground up.  By the time the club head hit the ball, he had generated a lot of club head speed with seemingly little effort. 

I also play professionally and know quite a few of the local mini tour/tour players. Did you catch his name per chance? 

To me the real difference between pros and ams is that professionals have a swing they can easily repeat and are money around the greens and never 3 putt.

When you have a repeatable swing your confidence is high which allows you to go at more pins but also play fearlessly because you know you can get up and down if you miss your mark.