Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
if Bortles has a bad season next year

Quote:hahahah Cardale Jones?! Seriously???

The dude has only made 3 starts and he's got Urban Meyer as his coach. Meyer does wonders with below average QBs like Tebow, Leak and Alex Smith.

Three amazing starts. He sure looked like a prototypical pocket passer in the championship game, with great size and accuracy. Just because Meyer coached him doesn't make him another Tebow.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Three amazing starts. He sure looked like a prototypical pocket passer in the championship game, with great size and accuracy. Just because Meyer coached him doesn't make him another Tebow.
3 starts man.... 3.

You want to take someone who won't even be the starter next year at Ohio State in the first round?

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 11:49 AM by muddylips.)

If fairness means anything to the franchise, then they almost have to give him at least one more year!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Preemptive complaining. Nice.
it's a real time saver!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:If Bortles has a bad year, the decision on what to do with him will be the next coaching staff's problem.
Not necessarily...

What if Bortles has a bad year but we win 6-7 games anyway?

This staff and Bortles will stay. The staff will try to improve a young QB in year 3.

And Caldwell will probably look to insert a back-up plan at QB. A vet or mid-round draft pick.

I think he'll be cut after the 3rd preseason game in 2016...it is the way of the Jaguars. 

Quote:I think he'll be cut after the 3rd preseason game in 2016...it is the way of the Jaguars. 
Right after Gus says "He's our guy"?

Good QBs have bad years. Bad QBs have good years. I don't know if I'm ready to judge Bortles on a good or bad year. 

However, there are somethings you just can't fix. If he's looking at the pass rush instead of his routes... might as well let him go now. If he's scared... let him go. If he's reluctant to throw the ball deep... if his receivers have to be wide as open before he'll pull the trigger, let him go. 

I don't care about interceptions as long as my WRs are scoring TDs & their yards per catch is 14+ yards. I want my TEs between 9 & 12 yards. 

If TEs & RBs are getting more targets than my WRs... I'm moving on. 

To me, it's all about the decisions he makes when the ball is in his hands.

ImATexan

Quote:Good QBs have bad years. Bad QBs have good years. I don't know if I'm ready to judge Bortles on a good or bad year. 

However, there are somethings you just can't fix. If he's looking at the pass rush instead of his routes... might as well let him go now. If he's scared... let him go. If he's reluctant to throw the ball deep... if his receivers have to be wide as open before he'll pull the trigger, let him go. 

I don't care about interceptions as long as my WRs are scoring TDs & their yards per catch is 14+ yards. I want my TEs between 9 & 12 yards. 

If TEs & RBs are getting more targets than my WRs... I'm moving on. 

To me, it's all about the decisions he makes when the ball is in his hands.
I don't recall a single game as a rookie where he looked scared.

Sometimes he'd stare down his guy.

Sometimes he'd make a bad throw.

I never saw him run from ghosts or cower and self sack.

Occasionally he'd check it down a little early. But the Oline was turrible at times and worse at others.

I think even more so than anything Bortles improvement hinges on the Oline getting at least slightly better. If they are as bad next season as this past one, I don't think we'll see a lot of improvement from the offense.

I suspect they won't be that bad. And we should see Bortles clean up his game a bit.

I don't think a bad year in his second season would doom him though. Hell... Geno Smith could start for the Jets next year. Bortles at times looked better than a year 2 Geno.

Quote:Draft either Jameis or Mariotta then let them compete... besides, this ain't gonna be a playoff team anyway

Bortles reminded me more of a right handed tebow the last 7 games.  he stunk !!!
We've got another newb idiot.  At least this one has an awesome name!

Quote:We've got another newb idiot.  At least this one has an awesome name!

Calm down brother. You shouldn't personally attack the guy over a statistical fact and his opinion on who we should draft. Lets be civil.

Bortles did stink.  That is reality. He was statistically the worst starter in the NFL. Also, We also aren't going to draft either Winston or Mariota. That would be suicide.

Quote:Calm down brother. You shouldn't personally attack the guy over a statistical fact and his opinion on who we should draft. Lets be civil.

Bortles did stink.  That is reality. He was statistically the worst starter in the NFL. Also, We also aren't going to draft either Winston or Mariota. That would be suicide.
Yes i should.

Quote:Calm down brother. You shouldn't personally attack the guy over a statistical fact and his opinion on who we should draft. Lets be civil.

Rookie + oline issues + rookies WRs + no running game = did not stink.

Huh

Quote:Rookie + oline issues + rookies WRs + no running game = did not stink.
Agreed.  I'd call it more - impossible situation.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:Rookie + oline issues + rookies WRs + no running game = did not stink.

Spin it how you want, the reality wont change. He played like a rookie. His mechanics were bad, causing multiple bad throws. He made bad decisions. Sure his line, receivers, and running backs didn't help, but that doesn't change the fact he looked pretty bad quite a few times last season.

Quote:Spin it how you want, the reality wont change. He played like a rookie. His mechanics were bad, causing multiple bad throws. He made bad decisions. Sure his line, receivers, and running backs didn't help, but that doesn't change the fact he looked pretty bad quite a few times last season.
You mean he played like a rookie who needed time to develop?  Shocked!

Pretty sure pointing that out is not spin.  It's fact. Bortles was set up to struggle this year based on a multitude of factors including the line, youth on that side of the ball, and the play calling.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Spin it how you want, the reality wont change. He played like a rookie. His mechanics were bad, causing multiple bad throws. He made bad decisions. Sure his line, receivers, and running backs didn't help, but that doesn't change the fact he looked pretty bad quite a few times last season.
You just quoted him calling Bortles a rookie.  How is he spinning anything?

Who are you comparing him to exactly?

He is a rookie, hence he played like one.

He really shouldn't have been starting, but he had to, and we got to see what a raw rookie looks like.

I'm still not seeing any spin...but I am old and extremely near-sighted...

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015, 08:51 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

He played like a rookie, which means he didn't play good. Rookies can play good. Derek Carr played like a good rookie. Is it really that difficult of a concept to understand?

I have a hard time arguing with the "he didn't play well" arguments and understand the cynicism. I do know that even in his worst starts, Bortles never had the "Even I know it's hopeless" look about him that Gabbert did.

I went to the Jags-Bengals game last yearand had a much different take on his performance that what I read here. He looked like he was a competitive quarterback with strengths that could be improved. I listened to the Bengals fans around me for their reaction (when they weren't calling Dalton a "&%$#$ Ginger", that is...) and they didn't call him out for being a no-hoper like road fans used to do with with Gabbert either. I came away feeling he played pretty well until I got back to Indy and logged in on this board.

My general sense is that there's still room for hope. I never had that with our last #1 pick.