Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
if Bortles has a bad season next year

Quote:He played like a rookie, which means he didn't play good. Rookies can play good. Derek Carr played like a good rookie. Is it really that difficult of a concept to understand?
Is it that difficult to understand that no one's disagreeing with you?  Read the darn thread!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Spin it how you want, the reality wont change. He played like a rookie. His mechanics were bad, causing multiple bad throws. He made bad decisions. Sure his line, receivers, and running backs didn't help, but that doesn't change the fact he looked pretty bad quite a few times last season.

Playing like a rookie is really unacceptable for a 10 year vet like Bortles.  Wait, never mind.  Here's something.  He threw for 300 yards less than Derek Carr, the top rookie QB who had 124 more attempts.  Hmmm.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Playing like a rookie is really unacceptable for a 10 year vet like Bortles.  Wait, never mind.  Here's something.  He threw for 300 yards less than Derek Carr, the top rookie QB who had 124 more attempts.  Hmmm.

He also had 31 more sacks than Carr.  Carr wouldn't have survived the season behind our line.  He missed one or two games without near as many hits as Bortles.

Quote:He also had 31 more sacks than Carr.  Carr wouldn't have survived the season behind our line.  He missed one or two games without near as many hits as Bortles.

Agreed.  Bortles improvement this year will be lock-step with the improvement on the line.

So the problem is that he played like a rookie, but he played as the worst of the rookies. Teddie Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Zach Mettenberger all out-performed Bortles in their rookie years in terms of quaterback rating and QBR (though I hate those stats.)

Quote:So the problem is that he played like a rookie, but he played as the worst of the rookies. Teddie Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Zach Mettenberger all out-performed Bortles in their rookie years in terms of quaterback rating and QBR (though I hate those stats.)

He also had arguably the weakest line, and definitely had the youngest starting lineup to work with of the rookies you're comparing him to, but let's not put things into proper context. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He also had arguably the weakest line, and definitely had the youngest starting lineup to work with of the rookies you're comparing him to, but let's not put things into proper context. 
Teddy didn't really have anything to work with..... I do think Bortles will be very good but I think Teddy had one advantage and that was Norv Turner. Teddy's weapons and line were on par with Blakes.

Quote:So the problem is that he played like a rookie, but he played as the worst of the rookies. Teddie Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Zach Mettenberger all out-performed Bortles in their rookie years in terms of quaterback rating and QBR (though I hate those stats.)

You can cherry pick a couple of stats, probably QBR is the worst of the lot in terms of being misleading.  I think of the rookies, he was arguably as promising as Bridgewater.  People have said Carr did well, I didn't see him much so perhaps he's on the list as well but Bortles played pretty well when accounting for his inexperience, the sacks and the early interceptions.  You'll notice he cleaned those up later in the year.  Hey, Caldwell said he wasn't ready yet.

Quote:Teddy didn't really have anything to work with..... I do think Bortles will be very good but I think Teddy had one advantage and that was Norv Turner. Teddy's weapons and line were on par with Blakes.
So if Teddy and Norv were here this year you think the Jags would have been 7-9 like the Vikings?  No way.

Quote:Teddy didn't really have anything to work with..... I do think Bortles will be very good but I think Teddy had one advantage and that was Norv Turner. Teddy's weapons and line were on par with Blakes.
The Vikes had a run game that didn't require 30% of it to come from their rookie QB. (and 59 catches from Greg Jennings)

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM by leopold332002.)

Are you kidding me!!!! Teddy have a way better team than blake and its not even close. Greg Jennings right now is better than any receiver on our roster although our receivers have the most upside. In addition, patterson is a talent receiver, kyle rudolph, matt kalil, chad greenway, phil loadholt, john sullivan are all been probowler in the last 2 years in addition to having one of the best offensive coordinators in the history of the game in Norv Turner so if you think teddy didn't have anything to work with then i need to say happy hour is over for you. Blake Bortles would kill to have that kind of talent around him. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:You can cherry pick a couple of stats, probably QBR is the worst of the lot in terms of being misleading.  I think of the rookies, he was arguably as promising as Bridgewater.  People have said Carr did well, I didn't see him much so perhaps he's on the list as well but Bortles played pretty well when accounting for his inexperience, the sacks and the early interceptions.  You'll notice he cleaned those up later in the year.  Hey, Caldwell said he wasn't ready yet.

I laugh when anybody uses QBR. It's just some number invented by ESPN. It is not a stat. It means nothing. It is just a way for ESPN to try and get its way into the conversation.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 04:46 AM by kyzer sosay.)

>> That is the DUMBEST thing ive ever heard, not even close!

Bortles is a Right-Handed Tebow.... Wow Just... WOW!? <<

How many games did he take multiple sacks plus throw for less than

200 yards and below 50% completion percentage.

And like tebow, he'd play like crap all game long, then somehow pull something out

at the end of the game, only to fall short.

Face it, he proved absolutely nothing... but he had kittle or nothing but WR to work with.

i felt everything i saw from bortles was understandable

i felt he was thrown in before he was ready, i don't believe it was the right call long term and i lost respect for bradley because of it but it brought excitement to the team and especially to the fanbase which was needed after the kick to the nads experience of the first few games

i saw him do things on regular occassion i've not seen from a jags qb for a long time, extend the play, pull something out of his [BLEEP] and keep the team moving down the field but with that came the sacks (holding onto the ball too long and not taking the easy checkdown) and especially the pick 6's.

You can't have that and I don't think they had any choice but to reign him in which people seem to consider as regression or a sign that bortles is a bust.

Perhaps it's because gabbert had few of these qualities but I think in his first season he showed that he had all the things that aren't teachable, physical ability, work ethic, courage in the pocket  not to mention durability and maturity as a leader and a face of a franchise.

What he needs to improve on, footwork, decision making can all be taught  and improved with proper coaching.

I think he will benefit from a full offseason and going into camp as the starter not to mention a better rapport with the majority of his receiving core. I also hope that olson will build a scheme around bortles playing to his strengths.

I would not be suprised if bortles started badly and got better as the season went on and even if he has an awful season I would still be an advocate of giving him a third year to develop 

Quote:Are you kidding me!!!! Teddy have a way better team than blake and its not even close. Greg Jennings right now is better than any receiver on our roster although our receivers have the most upside. In addition, patterson is a talent receiver, kyle rudolph, matt kalil, chad greenway, phil loadholt, john sullivan are all been probowler in the last 2 years in addition to having one of the best offensive coordinators in the history of the game in Norv Turner so if you think teddy didn't have anything to work with then i need to say happy hour is over for you. Blake Bortles would kill to have that kind of talent around him. 
Hahaha oh young padawon.

Patterson was TERRIBLE... look at his stats. Rudolph was banged up all year... look at his stats. Their Oline is actually one of the worst and being a pro bowl player means nothing. Its voted on by the fans.... Andy Dalton was a pro bowler this year.... he sucks.

Jennings is so old... I'll take ARob over him any day of the week right now. 

I already said I loved Norv and hes a huge reason why Teddy did well. But if you think their talent is superior to ours, you are very wrong. I mean look at this hot garbage!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name...ta-vikings

Quote:Hahaha oh young padawon.

Patterson was TERRIBLE... look at his stats. Rudolph was banged up all year... look at his stats. Their Oline is actually one of the worst and being a pro bowl player means nothing. Its voted on by the fans.... Andy Dalton was a pro bowler this year.... he sucks.

Jennings is so old... I'll take ARob over him any day of the week right now. 

I already said I loved Norv and hes a huge reason why Teddy did well. But if you think their talent is superior to ours, you are very wrong. I mean look at this hot garbage!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name...ta-vikings

While I don't think the talent difference in the two teams is that disparate, the Vikings players at least had experience. 

Huh

Quote:While I don't think the talent difference in the two teams is that disparate, the Vikings players at least had experience. 
Ruben Randle has more experience than Odell but who's better?

I wish people would just let him play and give him time. Take a player like Drew Brees that took longer than most people would allow a player to develop .http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats Drew played for the Chargers for five years. And then played an extra two years before he hit what most people consider elite stats for two more years. And then had to play 3 more years before he could win the Super Bowl by playing a monster season. That ten years he played and has more at least 6 years ago. If Bortles put up those type of stats would people allow him to do it? Or regret letting him go like people are ready to do and end up like the chargers? Never able to get a guy to go win it for you. 

Let's just let him play and really just sit back and watch it happen. 

It's a tough situation.

Year One - Cleaned House - Free Pass

Year Two - Drafted Franchise QB - Youngest team in the NFL with most Rookie starts

Pending - But reasonable expectations in my book.

Year Three - Still have the draft and free agency but the offensive staff was overhauled - Should expect this team to flirt with .500 or just finish around 6 - 10 or 7 - 9 - If this happens - Year Four is fine with Bradley going forward

Year Four - Play-offs are they're all gone - Caldwell, Bradley, potentially Bortles pending his play on the field and maturity as a QB

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:It's a tough situation.

Year One - Cleaned House - Free Pass

Year Two - Drafted Franchise QB - Youngest team in the NFL with most Rookie starts

Pending - But reasonable expectations in my book.

Year Three - Still have the draft and free agency but the offensive staff was overhauled - Should expect this team to flirt with .500 or just finish around 6 - 10 or 7 - 9 - If this happens - Year Four is fine with Bradley going forward

Year Four - Play-offs are they're all gone - Caldwell, Bradley, potentially Bortles pending his play on the field and maturity as a QB

I think year four is completely reasonable to expect to get a playoff spot although I will give them a pass if there is some highly unusual circumstances.  Year three I expect them to push for .500.  I said this before year 2 as well but had no idea they were going to go as young as they did on offense.