Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
if Bortles has a bad season next year

Quote:Rookie year comparisons, 2,214 12td 11int 65.4 rat, that's gabbert 2819 14td 16int 73 rat that's lefty and 2903 11td 17 ints and 69.5 rating that's bottles and he had the fewest wins. Facts are stubborn things.

Wins are a QB Stat?  That's new.  

Let's not forget that Lefwtich had Jimmy Smith, Fred Taylor, and a defense that gave up the 6th fewest yards his rookie season.

Let's not forget that Gabbert had MJD, a defense that was almost Top 10 in both points allowed AND yards.  

while Bortles had Denard Robinson, some rookies, and a defense that was 7th worst in the league.

Let's also not forget that Bortles was sacked 55 times.  15 times more than Gabbert in his rookie season, and 36 more times than Leftwich.

Facts really are stubborn things.  But apparently it's easy to ignore them, and only put forward the ones that fit our argument.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's good to proactively begin worrying about Bortles having a bad season before OTAs even start.

It saves time.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

My argument is simply this, Blake showed a lot to like his first year. So much so that after the preseason and his first few games I dared to dream that we might be set for a decade or so. That can still be the case. At the same time, as defenses adjusted we didn't counter and there is still a lot of polish that blame needs before he is truly a franchise guy. All I am illustrating is that promise doesn't guarantee that he'll get there even though he could and I think he will.

Bless my soul cardale jones

Quote:My argument is simply this, Blake showed a lot to like his first year. So much so that after the preseason and his first few games I dared to dream that we might be set for a decade or so. That can still be the case. At the same time, as defenses adjusted we didn't counter and there is still a lot of polish that blame needs before he is truly a franchise guy. All I am illustrating is that promise doesn't guarantee that he'll get there even though he could and I think he will.
Ok so lets look at it this way.

Who has the best potential to be a franchise QB? Winston, Mariota, Bortles or any one of the FA QBs (Fitzpatrick, Locker, Hoyer....) Gus took Bortles last year because this years crop (FA and Rookies) look really bad. Some are saying the weakest in NFL history.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2015, 04:00 AM by theguy77.)

Guys Blake can do a lot of NFL things. Just cause he was very rough in a couple of areas (mostly footwork and anticipation) doesn't mean he can't pull it all together with his first real offseason. He went to California and trained for a couple weeks with Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees as well as some Jags receivers, he's studying the hell out of film and that playbook right now, and he'll be at the practice facility at 6 AM for OTAs and training camp just like he did last summer. He'll be fine.

I'm glad we drafted a great athlete, a hard worker, a fierce competitor who doesn't quit, a tough big guy who plays through pain and more hits than any other QB in the NFL last year, and a mature 22 year old. I believe things will fall into place and he will be humble and proactive about working on whatever flaws he has. Blaine Gabbert had "footwork and anticipation" and had one of the best pro day workouts we've seen the last 5 years, but he had nothing that I listed about Bortles in this paragraph.