Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dave Caldwell - "I believe we can win a Super Bowl with Blake"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...e-bortles/

I think it's pretty safe to assume we're gonna pick up that 5th year option.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well at least we wont have to wait long for the next rebuild

Caldwell needs to stop, he is embarrassing himself... But I guess that's his job... That's what he is suppose to say... I mean think of the chaos,if he said " I don't think Bortles could ever win a Superbowl".. Smh..

Echo echo echo...yep chamber still intact. Doubling down on that "I sat down and evaluated every other QB in the league and they were making the same mistakes" line...

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2017, 12:38 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Well at least we wont have to wait long for the next rebuild

Anybody who paid any attention to us in 2015 knows Blake Bortles is fixable. He will do whatever it takes to get back to that.

Unless that person does not know anything about Blake Bortles, of course.

The more he speaks the more clueless/nervous he sounds
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The more he speaks the more clueless/nervous he sounds

Where did you get that idea from? He knows Blake Bortles better than all of us combined.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/26/dave-caldwell-believes-jaguars-can-win-a-super-bowl-with-blake-bortles/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/26/dave-caldwell-believes-jaguars-can-win-a-super-bowl-with-blake-bortles/</a>

I think it's pretty safe to assume we're gonna pick up that 5th year option.

Definitely not. Better off to franchise him.

Quote:Where did you get that idea from? He knows Blake Bortles better than all of us combined.

You're wasting your breath trying to argue with irrational people and couch GM
[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Definitely not. Better off to franchise him.
Yep, no point in picking up the 5th year option...which means we will. 

Quote:Yep, no point in picking up the 5th year option...which means we will.

I'm banking on Coughlin somehow pulling us through this mess through sheer stubborn will.

I can see why Caldwell might want to pick up the 5th year option as he probably won't get enough time to groom another QB if/when we move on from Bortles.  It's an all in move.  Hopefully Coughlin doesn't feel the same pressure that Caldwell might and the cooler head will prevail and opt not to pick up the 5th year option.

Letting Blake play for a contract this year and franchising him if needed is the safer option for the franchise than guaranteeing a 5th year $18+ million dollar salary before year 4 is played especially based on his body of work up to this point.

Quote:I can see why Caldwell might want to pick up the 5th year option as he probably won't get enough time to groom another QB if/when we move on from Bortles. It's an all in move. Hopefully Coughlin doesn't feel the same pressure that Caldwell might and the cooler head will prevail and opt not to pick up the 5th year option.

Letting Blake play for a contract this year and franchising him if needed is the safer option for the franchise than guaranteeing a 5th year $18+ million dollar salary before year 4 is played especially based on his body of work up to this point.

Safer how? Money wise?

The Jags can piss money away if need be, that isn't a problem.

Quote:Safer how? Money wise?

The Jags can [BAD WORD REMOVED] money away if need be, that isn't a problem.

They can afford it, but it doesn't mean you commit to flushing $18 million down the toilet based on what we've seen so far.  The safer option is to let him play for the contract.  If he plays lights out, consider going ahead and locking him up.  If he plays mediocre, franchise him.  If it's a repeat of 2016, walk away or at most offer a very team friendly (essentially a 1 year deal) and much lower per year salary while we search for our next QB.

Wont happen. Cause blake might not start.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:They can afford it, but it doesn't mean you commit to flushing $18 million down the toilet based on what we've seen so far.  The safer option is to let him play for the contract.  If he plays lights out, consider going ahead and locking him up.  If he plays mediocre, franchise him.  If it's a repeat of 2016, walk away or at most offer a very team friendly (essentially a 1 year deal) and much lower per year salary while we search for our next QB.

That is wasting a lot of time trying to save 1 player. 

Quote:That is wasting a lot of time trying to save 1 player.

He's under contract for at least the 2017 season and his salary is fully guaranteed already. The option I'm advocating leaves the door open for us to cut bait in 2018 if Bortles keeps Bortling.

Smokescreen

Quote:Smokescreen

The thought crossed my mind as well. I just don't remember him being a smokescreen kinda guy in the past. He plays his cards close to the vest at times, as he should, but I don't specifically remember any misdirection on his part.

I don't see the big deal.  The word "can" isn't "will".  If he didn't think Blake could win a Super Bowl he wouldn't be here.  He doesn't see 2016 as the final product, just like how 2015 wasn't the final product.  He "can" win a Super Bowl with Blake, just like how he "can" win a Super Bowl with whoever he may have to replace him with.