Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interesting Changes in Chicago

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM by Bullseye.)

For as long as I can remember being a football fan (dating back to 1977), the Chicago Bears have always been a 4-3/46 based team.

I figured when they dumped Trestman and hired Fox, that would continue. 

Fox was a 4-3 guy in Carolina and in Denver.

Yet according to PFT, they are set to hire Vic Fangio to be their defensive coordinator.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ic-fangio/

Fangio has always been a 3-4 guy, dating back to his role as an assistant under Dom Capers.

Now it is entirely possible Fangio could do what Capers did when he came here, and bring his 3-4 background to help run a 4-3 scheme.

But it is entirely possible that, given the Bears paltry defensive rankings last year, the Bears could finally switch schemes.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For us ... I mean you ... old school guys, this would be really something. Chicago has always been very proud of their traditions and don't veer too far away from them. It'll be rather wild to watch a "non traditional" defense (for want of a better term) wearing the blue and orange.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:For us ... I mean you ... old school guys, this would be really something. Chicago has always been very proud of their traditions and don't veer too far away from them. It'll be rather wild to watch a "non traditional" defense (for want of a better term) wearing the blue and orange.
Unh unh unh (wagging finger)

No need for pronoun uncertainty here.  You had it right the first time when you said "us."

Del Rio's primarily been a 4-3 guy as well (aside from that half a season that he experimented with the 3-4), yet he's interviewing Eric Mangini, who's never coached anything but a 3-4 iirc. It'd be interesting to see a 3-4 in Oakland as well, and I wonder how much more dangerous Khalil Mack will be in a scheme more suited for his talents.

Quote:Del Rio's primarily been a 4-3 guy as well (aside from that half a season that he experimented with the 3-4), yet he's interviewing Eric Mangini, who's never coached anything but a 3-4 iirc. It'd be interesting to see a 3-4 in Oakland as well, and I wonder how much more dangerous Khalil Mack will be in a scheme more suited for his talents.
I thought Mike Smith was going to be the raiders DC?

Quote:Del Rio's primarily been a 4-3 guy as well (aside from that half a season that he experimented with the 3-4), yet he's interviewing Eric Mangini, who's never coached anything but a 3-4 iirc. It'd be interesting to see a 3-4 in Oakland as well, and I wonder how much more dangerous Khalil Mack will be in a scheme more suited for his talents.
Thing is, the Raiders have gone back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3 over the years.

The Raiders switching to that scheme does not provide the cognitive dissonance that the Bears switching to that scheme provides.

Quote:For as long as I can remember being a football fan (dating back to 1977), the Chicago Bears have always been a 4-3/46 based team.

I figured when they dumped Trestman and hired Fox, that would continue. 

Fox was a 4-3 guy in Carolina and in Denver.

Yet according to PFT, they are set to hire Vic Fangio to be their defensive coordinator.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ic-fangio/

Fangio has always been a 3-4 guy, dating back to his role as an assistant under Dom Capers.

Now it is entirely possible Fangio could do what Capers did when he came here, and bring his 3-4 background to help run a 4-3 scheme.

But it is entirely possible that, given the Bears paltry defensive rankings last year, the Bears could finally switch schemes.

I had very similar thoughts earlier today when hearing about Vic Fangio coming to Chicago.    I thought the Redskins were the most likely landing point for Fangio. 

Based on John Fox's background as a 4-3 base coach,  my guess is what you mentioned about Fangio's 3-4 background helping run a 4-3 scheme is what the plan will be.   

As a 3-4 OLB,  I can envision Khalil Mack being a younger version of Demarcus Ware.

Quote:I thought Mike Smith was going to be the Raiders DC?

Nobody even reported an interview with him. I only read about Eric Mangini.

Quote:I thought Mike Smith was going to be the raiders DC?

That's been a rumor as well.  

If Mike Smith doesn't become the Raiders DC,  it will be interesting to see if he lands a DC with another team.   There are still a number of openings.    Denver comes to mind as a possibility.  

Quote:As a 3-4 OLB,  I can envision Khalil Mack being a younger version of Demarcus Ware.

That would be scary. But DeMarcus Ware had been a Cowboy for years when Dallas switched to a 3-4 defense so he can play great either way.

Quote:  I had very similar thoughts earlier today when hearing about Vic Fangio coming to Chicago.    I thought the Redskins were the most likely landing point for Fangio. 

Based on John Fox's background as a 4-3 base coach,  my guess is what you mentioned about Fangio's 3-4 background helping run a 4-3 scheme is what the plan will be.   
To me, it seems plausible they draft an OLB in the first round. 

Quote:That would be scary. But DeMarcus Ware had been a Cowboy for years when Dallas switched to a 3-4 defense so he can play great either way.

I could be mistaken but I believe DeMarcus Ware was in a 3-4 base Defense until Monte Kiffin became their Defensive Coordinator in 2013.

Ware's skill set fits either scheme.  The same with Khalil Mack.  But ideally,  the 3-4 OLB position probably is the absolute best fit.

Quote:That's been a rumor as well.  

If Mike Smith doesn't become the Raiders DC, it will be interesting to see if he lands a DC with another team. There are still a number of openings. Denver comes to mind as a possibility.  

I think the only basis for the rumor is a previous connection to JDR, which is a natural assumption based on the Mike Tice and Bill Musgrave hires. Did anyone report JDR requested an interview?

Quote:I could be mistaken but I believe DeMarcus Ware was in a 3-4 base Defense until Monte Kiffin became their Defensive Coordinator in 2013.

Ware's skill set fits either scheme.  The same with Khalil Mack.  But ideally,  the 3-4 OLB position probably is the absolute best fit.
You are correct on all counts.

Dallas was running a 3-4 under Wade Phillips when Ware came into the league.

Ware is good enough to be an effective rusher from a two point or three point stance in a 3 or 4 man front.

Khalil Mack is a stud who could thrive in almost any scheme.  JDR should have fun with him.

Quote:To me, it seems plausible they draft an OLB in the first round. 

It definitely would make a great amount of sense if there's value at that position with pick # 7.    John Fox was in his first season in Denver when they drafted Von Miller with pick # 2.  Even though it's not likely an OLB of that caliber will be available this year at pick # 7,    that's the type of player that would very likely be at or near the top of the Bears need pecking order on the Defensive side of the ball.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015, 02:15 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:I could be mistaken but I believe DeMarcus Ware was in a 3-4 base Defense until Monte Kiffin became their Defensive Coordinator in 2013.

Ware's skill set fits either scheme. The same with Khalil Mack. But ideally, the 3-4 OLB position probably is the absolute best fit.

That probably is why Eric Mangini has been linked to the Raiders DC job. Even though JDR is a 4-3 guy, he knows some linebackers are better in a 3-4.

Quote:I think the only basis for the rumor is a previous connection to JDR, which is a natural assumption based on the Mike Tice and Bill Musgrave hires. Did anyone report JDR requested an interview?

I haven't seen any reports about an interview request.   But with Mike Smith being fired from the Falcons,   there shouldn't be any significant obstacles in JDR being able to talk to Smith.  

Quote:  It definitely would make a great amount of sense if there's value at that position with pick # 7.    John Fox was in his first season in Denver when they drafted Von Miller with pick # 2.  Even though it's not likely an OLB of that caliber will be available this year at pick # 7,    that's the type of player that would very likely be at or near the top of the Bears need pecking order on the Defensive side of the ball.
It seems like there would be value at 7, with Missouri's Ray, Randy Gregory, Vic Beasley, Fowler and Dupree possibly/likely on the board.

Quote:It definitely would make a great amount of sense if there's value at that position with pick #7. John Fox was in his first season in Denver when they drafted Von Miller with pick #2. Even though it's not likely an OLB of that caliber will be available this year at pick #7, that's the type of player that would very likely be at or near the top of the Bears need pecking order on the defensive side of the ball.

Isn't Dante Fowler supposed to be a top 10 pick? He is a hybrid DE/OLB. Put him with Khalil Mack and the Raiders can do both 3-4 and 4-3 in their defense.