Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars will interview ex Bills CO Nathaniel Hackett for OC opening

Quote:Some were direct from Bills players.
I think Fred Jackson mentioned it. I love Freddy, but he's always saying the politically correct thing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think Fred Jackson mentioned it. I love Freddy, but he's always saying the politically correct thing.

The politically correct thing would have been to say nothing at all.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

<a class="" href='https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/broncos?source=feed_text'>#‎Broncos‬</a> are scheduled to interview former Bills HC Doug Marrone on Saturday and Ravens OC Gary Kubiak on Sunday, per source.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM by BillsFan1970.)

Quote:The politically correct thing would have been to say nothing at all.
Fred's always putting the positive spin on things. Marrone very well could have handcuffed Hackett. We'll never know what really happened. 

IMO, the Jags would be foolish to hire someone as wet behind the ears as Hackett. Last year, Hackett was supposedly in charge of developing EJ and running the offense. He failed at that, so they brought in a QB coach so that he could spend more time concentrating on offense. The result was of that was we regressed.

When it comes to the NFL, Hackett is in over his head.

I dont know anything about this one... Hopefully our guys know what they are doing tho...

Apparently it's official now that we requested to interview Gase

@AdamSchefter: Falcons, Rams, Jaguars have requested permission to interview Broncos OC Adam Gase

Quote:Yeah really...who are these bums they are interviewing??  They literally have been speaking with failed OC's!  If they are going to do that, they might as well kept Fisch for continuity purposes.
They've literally been speaking to failed OCs? 

Let's think about that for a moment, shall we?

If they're successful OCs, and they're being courted for new gigs, the assumption is they're looking at head coaching gigs. 

That leaves position coaches and "failed OCs" in the available job pool in your eyes.

Gase isn't a "failed OC", yet the team has requested to interview him.

The reality is, every coach or coordinator who is available right now to interview for the Jaguars opening would be considered "failed" at some point in their career. 

That doesn't make Fisch the best option, even if we are talking about continuity.  Clearly, they looked at what he had to offer, and felt that keeping the status quo simply wasn't an option.  That's why he's in Michigan now. 

Just because you don't like the names, that doesn't mean the team should have kept what they had.  If there's an opportunity to upgrade, you do it, and the team must have felt they could do so or Jedd would still have a job.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Fred's always putting the positive spin on things. Marrone very well could have handcuffed Hackett. We'll never know what realy happened. 

IMO, the Jags would be foolish to hire someone as wet behind the ears as Hackett. Last year, Hackett was supposedly in charge of developing EJ and running the offense. He failed at that, so they brought in a QB coach so that he could spend more time concentrating on offense. We regressed.

When it comes to the NFL, Hackett is in over his head.
I think you'll find out pretty quickly if Hackett goes somewhere else and has success. 

I agree with your view that we should steer clear of greener candidates.  This team is too young to be fiddling around with a guy who is still trying to learn his way.  We need a guy who has the track record to help develop this offense into something better than we've seen in recent years.  Those candidates are still out there.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:This team is too young to be fiddling around with a guy who is still trying to learn his way.  We need a guy who has the track record to help develop this offense into something better than we've seen in recent years.  Those candidates are still out there.
The names being thrown out recently suggest that the team feels the same way. That includes guys like Kirby Wilson and Anthony Lynn, who don't have track records as a coordinator, but have been well-regarded position coaches for a long time.

Quote:I think you'll find out pretty quickly if Hackett goes somewhere else and has success. 

I agree with your view that we should steer clear of greener candidates.  This team is too young to be fiddling around with a guy who is still trying to learn his way.  We need a guy who has the track record to help develop this offense into something better than we've seen in recent years.  Those candidates are still out there.
I think Hackett is a smart guy and might be a good OC in the NFL after a decade of experience. At this point in his career, he really hasn't paid his dues like other OCs.

Keep in mind, he probably at least 10 years younger than other OCs in the NFL. A lot of Bills fans, think his rapid rise through the coaching ranks is because he rode the coattails of his father Paul Hackett who was a respected coach. 

Quote:The names being thrown out recently suggest that the team feels the same way. That includes guys like Kirby Wilson and Anthony Lynn, who don't have track records as a coordinator, but have been well-regarded position coaches for a long time.

Understood.  Ideally, I'd like to see them land a guy who has extensive experience not only as a position coach, but also some sort of experience calling plays.  There are candidates on their radar that fulfill that as well. 

Watching interviews with Hackett, it's easy to see he's a Gus guy. He's like a Gus mini me.

Quote:Watching interviews with Hackett, it's easy to see he's a Gus guy. He's like a Gus mini me.

lol, well that could be good, or that could be...................................................something else.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Sup guys. I'm a Bills fan but I would like to see the Jags become relevant again. I was wondering about the OC hire so I came here to give a little information on Nate Hackett.

He is definitely a Gus type of guy. All the players loved Hackett and he was a very highly spirited coach.

However, he was incredibly ultra-conservative and some of the worst play calling I have seen at Buffalo. Your play calling 80% of all drives will be; Run up the middle, run up the middle, get to 3rd and 4 and throw. If it's incomplete, punt. Repeat. The fast pace offense? Yeah that pretty much means they run up to snap the ball quick but do the exact same non-creative, vanilla plays.

There's a running joke here that his play calling came from the old techmo bowl game. Lol.

The only silver lining is that many players and even Marrone himself will say that he micromanaged Hackett and maybe that's what came out of the play calling. There was a reason we were 26th on offense, and even with a terrible offensive line, the surrounding weapons should've gotten us to mediocre at worst.

As for Fred Jackson, he is our ambassador at Buffalo, but he is a "yes man," and will defend any coach. When there was flack about marrone, he defended him. But once marrone opted out, Jackson said how it really was. So just be weary of his defense of Hackett. It definitely could've been 100% accurate and that Hackett never really had his hands on the wheel in our offense, or he does deserve the blame but Freddy cared about him and is coming to his defense.

Either way, I hope you guys get the right guy. Stay away from St. Doug, he's a cancer to any team. As for Hackett, even if you are interested in seeing what he can do without being handcuffed, I wouldn't have him high on your list just because of the unknown he comes with.

Go Bills and Go Jags! Do work this year boys.

Quote:Sup guys. I'm a Bills fan but I would like to see the Jags become relevant again. I was wondering about the OC hire so I came here to give a little information on Nate Hackett.

He is definitely a Gus type of guy. All the players loved Hackett and he was a very highly spirited coach.

However, he was incredibly ultra-conservative and some of the worst play calling I have seen at Buffalo. Your play calling 80% of all drives will be; Run up the middle, run up the middle, get to 3rd and 4 and throw. If it's incomplete, punt. Repeat. The fast pace offense? Yeah that pretty much means they run up to snap the ball quick but do the exact same non-creative, vanilla plays.

There's a running joke here that his play calling came from the old techmo bowl game. Lol.

So he went to the Bratkowski school of offense?  Run, Run, Pass, Punt. 

Except in our case it was "Run up the middle, run up the middle, get to 3rd and 8th and throw.  If it's incomplete, punt.  If it's complete, 4th and 6, so punt anyway" 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Sup guys. I'm a Bills fan but I would like to see the Jags become relevant again. I was wondering about the OC hire so I came here to give a little information on Nate Hackett.

The only silver lining is that many players and even Marrone himself will say that he micromanaged Hackett and maybe that's what came out of the play calling. There was a reason we were 26th on offense, and even with a terrible offensive line, the surrounding weapons should've gotten us to mediocre at worst.

As for Fred Jackson, he is our ambassador at Buffalo, but he is a "yes man," and will defend any coach. When there was flack about marrone, he defended him. But once marrone opted out, Jackson said how it really was. So just be weary of his defense of Hackett. It definitely could've been 100% accurate and that Hackett never really had his hands on the wheel in our offense, or he does deserve the blame but Freddy cared about him and is coming to his defense.

Either way, I hope you guys get the right guy. Stay away from St. Doug, he's a cancer to any team. As for Hackett, even if you are interested in seeing what he can do without being handcuffed, I wouldn't have him high on your list just because of the unknown he comes with.

Go Bills and Go Jags! Do work this year boys.
I think a lot of the players like Hacket because:

1. He's young, so it's easier for them to relate to him.

2. He isn't Marrone who is very unlikable.  

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM by jobclarke.)

Quote:Nobody can accuse them of leaving any stones unturned. 
Starting to look like that "creating a staff" talk I was referring to a while back now doesn't it. Thinking even more now that it's what they're doing and now looking for positional coaches with experience. Think this guy is just to get perspective on Marrone. Thoughts?