Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Does it really matter?

Folks, this goes against the grain, with all the angst and watching for white smoke and all, but I will say it anyway.  

I don't think it's all that important who our OC is.   I think there are probably a dozen guys out there who could do a good job.   Everybody is acting like this is a question with only one right answer, but I don't think that's the case.  

I don't think there is a coach in the world who can make chicken salad out of chicken [BAD WORD REMOVED].  I think there are dozens of coaches who could make the playoffs if they had the roster of the Patriots, or the Packers, or the Seahawks. 

Look at Mike McCarthy.   In 2005, he was OC for the 49ers, and they finished dead last in points scored and yardage.   We he a bad coach?   The Packers hired him the very next year.   And apparently he's a real good coach as long as he has Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre and a nice set of players surrounding them. 

I think what will bring this team along in the win column is the continuing upgrade of the roster.   I think that process is far more important than getting the exact right guy to be OC.

Yeah, we want a good OC, but I think whoever they hire will succeed or fail based on the roster he is given to work with, and I think there are dozens of guys who will look good with a good roster and bad with a bad roster.  

To me, it's just not worth this level of anxiety and argumentation.    Some of you won't be happy unless we hire exactly the guy you want.   That is pointless.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On point there Marty.

While I don't agree with you on the idea that it doesn't really matter, I do agree that there are probably several guys who can do the job. And also that it's more important to give that guy - whomever he may turn out to be - as much talent to work with as is possible.

One thing that I do wonder though, is that will the new OC be given a hand in terms of talent acquisition? Is this a thing that Dave and Co. have considered or are even willing to entertain? If not, will that be a stumbling block for those guys that are a bit more experienced in terms of the League?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Defeatism - I think the KC Cheifs fans had it the year they finished last until they found out that HC Andy Ried was coming to town & watched that great year of winning...  a fantastic coach can change everything...

but ...

I agree that usually is the case at HC as an OC still has to take orders from the HC.

[Image: tKXqsMWfJ6qhW.gif]

After watching the Draft...

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

For a team with a Defensive HC, I think the OC hire is critical.

Now, if we had an offensive minded HC like Chip Kelley or McCarthy, then the OC hire is less critical.

Our situation is even more critical due to the youth on offense and the development of our QB.

Is it soup yet?

We've seen what happened with the guy who wasn't up to the task. Just get one who is.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This is obviously true. Just hope the dude we hire either has an offense or knows an offense that can fit around Bortles style.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

31st and 32nd in the league in red zone touchdowns under fish...

The oc matters... who we get is important, but yes there are multiple candidates that can get the job done.

We need good coaching on offense. It's important

Hey guys, been reading the message boards for years but just now made an account so here is my first post:

When it comes to finding the right OC should Jax be looking for someone who has an offense that fits Blake Bortles, or who has an overall offense that Bortles can play in. What I mean by that is this... Should all the eggs be placed in the Blake Bortles basket or should they be spread out amongst an entire offense. Yes the QB is the one who commands the offense, but should the OC design an offense around their talent alone or overall talent.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:For a team with a Defensive HC, I think the OC hire is critical.

Now, if we had an offensive minded HC like Chip Kelley or McCarthy, then the OC hire is less critical.

Our situation is even more critical due to the youth on offense and the development of our QB.

I guess my gripe with that is why are the Jaguars #26th overall this year in Defense (at the end of two full seasons with Defensive Guru HC especially with two of his Defensive coaches from Seattle on staff)?  {not to mention even players from the SeaHawks such as Big Red & Chris Clemons}  #27th the year prior they only went up by one even with Marks having a ProBowl (alternate) year?

good coaching is highly underrated

Quote:Hey guys, been reading the message boards for years but just now made an account so here is my first post:

When it comes to finding the right OC should Jax be looking for someone who has an offense that fits Blake Bortles, or who has an overall offense that Bortles can play in. What I mean by that is this... Should all the eggs be placed in the Blake Bortles basket or should they be spread out amongst an entire offense. Yes the QB is the one who commands the offense, but should the OC design an offense around their talent alone or overall talent.

Hope that makes sense.

Good question. 

From what I read,it looks like Gus is looking for someone who can get the running game going.   It doesn't look like he's looking for a QB guru as much as an overall OC.   If you look at Seattle, Russell Wilson is a good QB, but he succeeds because of a great defense and running game.   Seattle doesn't have their QB driving the whole team.  

I don't think we should set up a situation where the team rises and falls on one guy, Blake Bortles.  

Quote:good coaching is highly underrated

I think good coaching is critical.   I just think there are a lot of good coaches out there, and insisting on the Jags hiring the EXACT right guy to be the OC is pointless, because there are a lot of coaches who would do very well if we give them the players.  

Quote:I guess my gripe with that is why are the Jaguars #26th overall this year in Defense (at the end of two full seasons with Defensive Guru HC especially with two of his Defensive coaches from Seattle on staff)?  {not to mention even players from the SeaHawks such as Big Red & Chris Clemons}  #27th the year prior they only went up by one even with Marks having a ProBowl (alternate) year?

going 3 and out too much will hurt the defense.  this was obvious the first several games

Quote:I think good coaching is critical.   I just think there are a lot of good coaches out there, and insisting on the Jags hiring the EXACT right guy to be the OC is pointless, because there are a lot of coaches who would do very well if we give them the players.  

its highly underrated but also difficult to find.  it's not easy finding a guy that will take your team to the next level, and then its difficult to keep them around.

Quote:31st and 32nd in the league in red zone touchdowns under fish...

The oc matters... who we get is important, but yes there are multiple candidates that can get the job done.

We need good coaching on offense. It's important

Like I said, in 2005 the 49ers were last in the league in points scored and yardage under Mike McCarthy.   The very next year he was hired as head coach of the Packers.  

I don't think Fisch was fired because of the stat you cite.   I think he was fired because, from watching him up close, every day, every meeting, every practice, Bradley didn't like what he was doing.  

My point is that we don't know who is a good OC or not.   We can't tell by statistics.   The only people who know are the people who know these coaches and have worked with them.   It's like judging school teachers based on test results vs judging teachers by watching them teach.   We see the results.   But the results can be deceptive.  

Quote:For a team with a Defensive HC, I think the OC hire is critical.

But, the point remains the same.  There's more than just one guy who is capable of coming in and fixing this offense. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:going 3 and out too much will hurt the defense.  this was obvious the first several games

The defense against the Eagles the first half of the first game was stout, and the entire team looked good until the 2nd half...