Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pot Roast at it again

Quote:I mean, he flashed at times, but I don't see how anyone can say his play was at a high level. He's a space eater and average run stopper in my mind. Weight problems or none, players that play at a high level don't typically get 1 year 4 million dollar contracts.

It's time to admit Caldwell was right on letting both Knighton and Cox walk, even though a ton of people disagreed with it.
I agree with your take. He flashed fairly often but just as often wore down late in games. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:How's that true?  If he keeps putting on more and more weight its going to effect his play and health.  The heavier he gets, the higher risk of injury.

Lets all act like he didn't gas during games and have to be pulled because he was too tired.

I like Pot Roast, but lets not act like his weight isn't holding him back from being a better player.
He came into camp overweight in 2010 and ended up arguably having his best season as a pro. That was the year he was playing inside in our terrible 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense, where he was probably one of the lone bright spots there.  No one's arguing that it's not a bad thing, but it's not something that's new and he's proven he can still play while overweight, and there's a ton of guys that have come and gone in the NFL that have been able to do so.

Lets not act like he still didn't come in and still play at a pretty high level for us, regardless of whether he could've been better if he could control his weight.

Quote:I mean, he flashed at times, but I don't see how anyone can say his play was at a high level. He's a space eater and average run stopper in my mind. Weight problems or none, players that play at a high level don't typically get 1 year 4 million dollar contracts.

It's time to admit Caldwell was right on letting both Knighton and Cox walk, even though a ton of people disagreed with it.
Maybe it was time to move on from them. Regardless of talent, sometimes there's just a "right time" and it was right for both of them.

Knighton's job was to pretty much eat space and he did that very well. There was a year where he was putting up a ridiculous stat in the run game up to week 15, something along the lines of having a 100% win rate when the ball is ran to his side, and considering he's a guy who started and played the DT/NT spot that's insane.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

The Redskins got a great player for that amount of money.

Quote:The Redskins got a great player for that amount of money.

It will be interesting to see if they envision Pot Roast as a 3-4 NT.  Until 2015,  he played his entire NFL career in base 4-3 Defenses.

I think 4 million was his highest offer. Not sure he cares about the scheme they run. If he shows up out of weight or under performs this year, it could be his last shot at a decent pay day.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015, 11:21 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Sorry to bring it back up, but I had a rough day at work and needed a good laugh.

UCF Knight said Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

"If he could stay around 325 or under I think he could be one of the best defensive tackles in the league (he may already be)."

Yikes.

Quote:I think 4 million was his highest offer. Not sure he cares about the scheme they run. If he shows up out of weight or under performs this year, it could be his last shot at a decent pay day.

Quote:If he doesn't get paid well, but keeps playing at a high level, then we'll know the worry wasn't necessarily justified.

I understand why folks would be worried about the weight, but at the same time I feel his level of play has been worth the risk so far.  The real risk is how that will affect him as he ages.  As Manuwai proved, you can drop off a cliff in a hurry if you can't manage it later in your career.

If he plays as well as he did last year, they worry wasn't justified, and they got a steal.

He's a very good player who could contribute to about any team.  The only worry, IMO, is age... not necessarily weight.  Like Wilfork, it's the question larger than weight alone.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

If he plays at a high level he will have been worth it, sure. I just think it's silly to have high expectations for someone who is on his 3rd team in 4 years; who has never been able to control his weight, and is making a change to the 3-4.

That's not a stud player.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015, 05:01 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

Reminds me of guys like Keith Traylor, Grady Jackson, Norman Hand and Ted Washington. Always considered good defensive tackles but bounced around alot.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Man Grady Jackson was a monster at times. He had one really good year here that I can remember. Terrance Knighton is a favorable comparison.

I don't think Knighton is near as good as Ted Washington was.

Guys like Sam Adams, Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Siragusa, hell; John Henderson AND Marcus Stroud.

Those are big guys that stuck with their teams because they kept their weight under control and went HAM on the field. There's a bunch of other examples I'm sure.

Knighton is on his 3rd team in 4 years. Alot of those guys never played for 3 teams in their career.

I like pot roast, but I think he may be done if he blows it in 2015.

Oh and I love how J dub won't defend pot roast now that he's not a bronco.

Quote:If he plays at a high level he will have been worth it, sure. I just think it's silly to have high expectations for someone who is on his 3rd team in 4 years; who has never been able to control his weight, and is making a change to the 3-4.

That's not a stud player.

He's playing pretty much the same position, NT, whether 3-4 or 4-3 (the way many 4-3s are played today.)

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Man Grady Jackson was a monster at times. He had one really good year here that I can remember. Terrance Knighton is a favorable comparison.

I don't think Knighton is near as good as Ted Washington was.

Guys like Sam Adams, Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Siragusa, hell; John Henderson AND Marcus Stroud.

Those are big guys that stuck with their teams because they kept their weight under control and went HAM on the field. There's a bunch of other examples I'm sure.

Knighton is on his 3rd team in 4 years. Alot of those guys never played for 3 teams in their career.

I like pot roast, but I think he may be done if he blows it in 2015.

Oh and I love how J dub won't defend pot roast now that he's not a bronco.

But between 1999 and 2007, Sam Adams played for six different teams.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015, 06:31 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:But between 1999 and 2007, Sam Adams played for six different teams.
Ok, that's one guy. Look at the long list of big DTs that only played with one or two teams during their prime. Teams don't cut big nasties that dominate, they never have; They might trade them for whatever reason (contract, age, whatever), they might lose them in free agency, but they don't just drop them like the Broncos and Jaguars dropped Knighton. They obviously didn't think he was worth the money either. Everyone said JDR was going to break the bank on him before FA. JDR didn't think he was worth the money, either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but while some players use one year deals as an investment for a better contract later if they perform well, I think Knighton is more or less running out of options.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015, 12:42 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:Lol he's top 10 Dt in the league

Oof.

My take is if Pot Roast played at or near his potential consistently,  he would still be with the Jaguars.  When a player with this amount of talent bounces around the league as often as Pot Roast has and can't command a sizable multi-year contract,  issues beyond talent certainly have to be part of the equation in the minds of NFL decision makers.    With the dysfunction of the Redskins organization,  I have doubts that he's going to increase his value when it comes time for the next contract.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015, 05:43 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:My take is if Pot Roast played at or near his potential consistently, he would still be with the Jaguars. When a player with this amount of talent bounces around the league as often as Pot Roast has and can't command a sizable multi-year contract, issues beyond talent certainly have to be part of the equation in the minds of NFL decision makers. With the dysfunction of the Redskins organization, I have doubts that he's going to increase his value when it comes time for the next contract.
Absolutely, I agree 100% with your take. I think a lot of people give him more credit than he deserves for his play in Denver also. No doubt he had a solid year his first year there in 2013. After that he made a brief stink about wanting to be extended and paid better. The Broncos waited for him to have a monster contract year, just as the Jags did, and he showed up overweight and wore out as the season went on, just like he did with the Jags. That's a pretty bad pattern.

I think it's funny that the people who initially were adamant that he is a dominant player before FA are nowhere to be found now. As Knighton enters a contract year for the 3rd time in 4 years, it makes little sense to expect him to do it any different then he has in the past.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:If he plays as well as he did last year, they worry wasn't justified, and they got a steal.

He's a very good player who could contribute to about any team. The only worry, IMO, is age... not necessarily weight. Like Wilfork, it's the question larger than weight alone.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Vince Wilfork Is 33 and Spent 11 seasons with one team. Pot Roast just turned 28 and is on his 3rd team in 4 years; his work ethic isn't in the same stratosphere as Vince Wilfork.

He's a player who had immense talent but never brought it all together. If he had, then I would agree with you that he's a very good player. He's not; he plays well in spots when his body and conditioning will allow him to do so. A classic underachiever.