Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars to Interview Raiders OC Greg Olsen

Via Ian Rappaport on Twitter for OC position.

I guess they liked what he did with Carr..
Shock the world

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 02:33 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Via Ian Rappaport on Twitter for OC position.

I guess they liked what he did with Carr..

From the handful of Raiders games I watched I did too.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Olsen is one of those guys who is either misfortunate or just not a good coach. He has been QB coach or offensive coordinator for a lot of terrible teams. The Raiders this past year were the dinkingest, dunkingest team in recent memory.

;

;

Quote:Olsen is one of those guys who is either misfortunate or just not a good coach. He has been QB coach or offensive coordinator for a lot of terrible teams. The Raiders this past year were the dinkingest, dunkingest team in recent memory.
Really hard to say.  The talent they had there at WR has been atrocious.  Not to mention the time it took to get away from MJD/DMC and finally go with Murray negated any sort of run game they could have had.

Quote:Olsen is one of those guys who is either misfortunate or just not a good coach. He has been QB coach or offensive coordinator for a lot of terrible teams. The Raiders this past year were the dinkingest, dunkingest team in recent memory.

There are a couple of reasons for that, Derek Carr has a propensity to dink and dunk, and Andre Holmes, James Jones, and Mychal Rivera aren't exactly Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, and Julius Thomas.

If Greg Olson gets the Jaguars O/C job,  he would clearly have more to work with than he did in 2012 when he was the team's QB coach..  

Going back to 2004 and 2005 when Olson was on the Lions coaching staff,  I thought he did a good job overall in the games that he has the opportunity to call plays.   In less than ideal conditions.

Quote:There are a couple of reasons for that, Derek Carr has a propensity to dink and dunk, and Andre Holmes, James Jones, and Mychal Rivera aren't exactly Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, and Julius Thomas.[/size]

I agree. Carr was/is more comfortable with dinking and dunking like he did in college. I like that Olsen put Carr in a position to be successful in his rookie season. I watched a few Raiders games this past season and even with all the dinking and dunking Carr did take plenty of shots down the field.

Olsen is worth the interview for sure.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Gross

I won't be a fan if this guys our OC, just gotta hope they are interviewing everyone

I either want Dennison or Marrone tbh

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

It's like a reunion tour.

Didn't he call Gabbert "Blame Gabbert" when he left Jax? 

Quote:Didn't he call Gabbert "Blame Gabbert" when he left Jax? 
That nickname originated long before Olsen left, IIRC.

Quote:If Greg Olson gets the Jaguars O/C job,  he would clearly have more to work with than he did in 2012 when he was the team's QB coach..  

Going back to 2004 and 2005 when Olson was on the Lions coaching staff,  I thought he did a good job overall in the games that he has the opportunity to call plays.   In less than ideal conditions.

i probably wont watch next year if he does

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:i probably wont watch next year if he does

One thing that jumps out regarding Greg Olson is his coaching stops in the last decade plus have not been even close to amongst the best situations.   That's an understatement.   

Quote:Didn't he call Gabbert "Blame Gabbert" when he left Jax?

He said it. He didn't coin it though. I think that originated on this very board.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:  One thing that jumps out regarding Greg Olson is his coaching stops in the last decade plus have not been even close to amongst the best situations.   That's an understatement.   

i agree with that but there has to be a reason this guy consistently winds up in gigs like that.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:i agree with that but there has to be a reason this guy consistently winds up in gigs like that.

It's a fair point.  

It would be interesting to see what would happen for instance if Scott Linehan left Dallas and Greg Olson took over Linehan's role with that highly talented and experienced unit.  

Ugh, no thank you.

That whole "Blame Gabbert" comment makes me never want him here. Did Gabbert suck during his tenure here? Yes, but it wasn't like he was always partying or not taking being a QB seriously, he was just bad. Calling out a single player for the reason you were let go is shifting blame solely to the player and it strikes someone too arrogant to see they actually played a role in our miserable 2012 season and that player's failure.

Would Olsen do the same thing and call out Blake if he doesn't progress to where we'd like him to? I'd rather not find out.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 03:47 PM by Achilles.)

Quote:It's a fair point.  

It would be interesting to see what would happen for instance if Scott Linehan left Dallas and Greg Olson took over Linehan's role with that highly talented and experienced unit.  

it would be nice if linehan wound up in jacksonville here. his record and experience would be a great addition.

jdr getting the raiders job is actually a good thing for that possibility.