Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Greg Jones to retire a Jaguar

One of my favorite players of all time. 

He could have been a great running back, but sustained at least 3 torn ACLs. 

Glad he is retiring a Jag. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I still think that is one of the greatest hits I've ever seen in football. Generally when you see someone get laid out, its a defensive player tattooing a WR in the open field who is looking to catch a pass. Which yea can be a great hit, but to lay somebody out when they arent looking isnt exactly that impressive. Hell I could just start walking around the Town Center and start laying out unsuspecting patrons as they walk by.

But when you see a mano a mano hit like Greg Jones delivered, it's pretty awesome.

The thing is, he was looking to deliver the punishment. He literally slowed down, lined him up, and launched into him with everything he had. That's something you rarely see from an offensive player.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:That was in college

[Image: greg_jones.jpg]

This is in the NFL:

[Image: 38-greg-jones-jaguars-fittest-bodies-in-sports1.jpg]

Beast.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He wasn't "born to late". He had the misfortune of having two torn ACL's. In 2005, it looked like he could be a good NFL tailback. He tore an ACL in 2006 and lost the speed he had.

I remember wondering why we picked MJD in the second round when there were already enough running backs on the roster because Greg Jones played halfback a lot the previous season. When Jones tore his ACL in 2006 I was glad we had a rookie running back.

Quote:You put him in the Rocky Bleier (Steelers) or Robert Newhouse / Moose Johnson (Cowboys) role, the dude would have torn it up in this league.

By the time he came around the FB position was being phased out in favor of the wide open offenses and single back formation.
I agree with this completely and go one step further.

Back in the 70s, the FB was often the main ball carrier in many offenses.  Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, and Franco Harris were fullbacks.

He would have fit in well in that era, too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

One of many good 2nd Round picks by the Jaguars in the Shack/ JDR era.   

While there were some people that were critical of Greg Jones being drafted by the Jaguars in the 2nd Round,  his versatility and longevity contributed greatly in the draft decision being a good one.  

Great player.  One of the best FBs in the most recent past.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:One of many good 2nd Round picks by the Jaguars in the Shack/ JDR era.   

While there were some people that were critical of Greg Jones being drafted by the Jaguars in the 2nd Round,  his versatility and longevity contributed greatly in the draft decision being a good one.  

After we let him go in free agency, at least one board member said losing him was a reason our running game sucks.

Quote:After we let him go in free agency, at least one board member said losing him was a reason our running game sucks.

Losing a high quality FB and not getting that the capable of play Greg Jones provided for many, many years certainly contributed to the Jaguars running game not being as good as it used to be.   Yet,  there are many other reasons that also contributed.    Starting with the Offensive Line and not having the type of QB play that would help open up the running game more often.    It's all part of the team bottoming out and now in the process of making strides forward.

Beastmode before beastmode was beastmode.

Quote:This video of Sean Taylor trying to tackle Jones in the open field.

[Image: e6hr6.gif]
Mother of God

One of my all time favorites.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

It's really a shame Greg Jones never made a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team. For about a five year stretch, I was confident we had the best fullback in the game.

Quote:It's really a shame Greg Jones never made a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team. For about a five year stretch, I was confident we had the best fullback in the game.

#becausejaguars

Why retire? We still need a FB

Quote:Mother of God

Best part of that video is that is not some scrub who is never going to play football at a high level. That is a safety who was a top ten pick and was an All Pro.

Imagine this dude cutting you off in the passing lane and in an instant of high emotion giving him the finger.  I better think twice about my actions from now on ..... I'm thinking he'd be able to kick my [BLEEP] if we ever squared off on the side of the road.

Quote:lol

let's break out the FSU highlight vs UNC
Because there are no Jaguar highlights?

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Greg Jones! All time favorite fb!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2015, 02:34 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Signing Contract today to Retire a Jag. Live Presser at 2:30

http://www.jaguars.com/live/