Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
People "shying away" from Jaguars OC position per John Clayton via BCC

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM by Spartan6.)

Quote:From what Oesher said in his O-Zone today, he doesn't think Trestman, Lynch or Wilson are going to be the OC. He thinks they haven't interviewed their OC yet and they will name one at the Senior Bowl.

I'm really holding out hope for Dennison.

Quote:They may have their eye on someone on the staff of the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs...  

The scary thing about that is that it could be Knapp or Carl Smith. I don't see how either of those would even be upgrades to what we had. 

Dennison would be a decent add. He's not only had success at OC in total points/ passing offense but also developing QB. He's also presided over an offense that had a ZBS that actually worked well in both passing and the running game. However, Denver firing Fox could actually ruin that for us. Kubiak is rumored to be on Denver's "short list" and if he winds up head coach there, Dennison would likely just stay in Baltimore and become OC there. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If someone doesnt want to the "challenge" of building an offense with some promising young guys, then i dont want him anywau
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

This is just Clayton's opinion and that's all it is... an opinion, not proven fact. Nevertheless, if Clayton is correct about coaches 'shying away from here' then fine; this team doesn't need someone who's 'fragile' here. We need an OC with some intestinal fortitude to exercise the testicular imperative and get this offense out of the laughing stock category. If a coach is 'afraid' to come here, we didn't need or want him anyway!

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

John Clayton once again using HIS OPINION and passing it as something newsworthy. Nobody is shying away from the OC position. The Jaguars are just doing due diligence not only for big names but some very good up and coming coaches. My guess is the Jaguars have their eyes set on someone on the staffs of the remaining teams in the playoffs. 

The OC job in Jax is a plum job. A candidate can come in here, build a great offense over 3-4 years, and become a prime candidate for a head coaching job. Great resume builder........no one has been able to build an offense here for years. If he does it, he can write his own ticket.

On the other end, imagine going to New England as the new OC.......there's only one way to go, and that's down. If you maintain the status quo, you get little or no credit.

If John Clayton says it, then it must be true.

We're doomed.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 12:18 PM by Stigma.)

My GUESS is that Gus is seeking a RUN MORE type OC and in today's NFL that is a rarity.

Most Offenses are SLING IT around 50 times per game.

The Jags ran the ball close to 36% of the time this past season.

I think Gus wants an Offense that runs the ball about as often as it throws it, or as it used to be said, "have a balanced offense".

This is what Callahan would bring to the table and so would Dennison.

When you are interviewing a RB Coach, it becomes obvious to me that Gus wants to RUN THE BALL MORE.

What is MORE?

MORE is MORE than 36% of the time.

Philosophical Differences = RUN MORE, Not so much Dink and Dunk down the field.

Well, that is how I see it.

Your Thoughts?

Maybe he's waiting for Josh Mcdaniels.  I would love for him to be here.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

we should be finding out in less than 2 weeks either way.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:we should be finding out in less than 2 weeks either way.
I hope so, and I hope it's someone who can actually turn this team around. Not some unknown journeyman.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I hope so, and I hope it's someone who can actually turn this team around. Not some unknown journeyman.

im starting to think its going to be a lesser known guy. maybe bennett from the packers.....

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:im starting to think its going to be a lesser known guy. maybe bennett from the packers.....

This wouldn't surprise me, the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers (Allen Robinson/Jordy Nelson/Marqise Lee/Randall Cobb), both Lee and Robinson are dynamic after the catch, it'd make sense to implement a West Coast offense to take advantage of those skillsets, I believe the Packers run a ZBS as well. I'd be ecstatic if we hired Bennett.

I'm not really worried about who they hire, to be honest.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM by FJohnson.)

There is a preference order where available talent will go - where can I advance, is the talent there to leverage are just some of the things people look at when making this kind of job decision. Unfortunately the Jags don't have the franchise history or upside to be attractive at this point. One of the reasons I think we'll make a hire after the coaching staffs settle a bit, and why I think it will be a college OC.

Quote:This wouldn't surprise me, the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers (Allen Robinson/Jordy Nelson/Marqise Lee/Randall Cobb), both Lee and Robinson are dynamic after the catch, it'd make sense to implement a West Coast offense to take advantage of those skillsets, I believe the Packers run a ZBS as well. I'd be ecstatic if we hired Bennett.[/size]

Nelson and Robinson from the same ilk? I highly doubt that.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:So in essence he really has no idea considering this is only his opinion and this blurb is the equivalent of throwing poo on the wall hoping it sticks.

Whoever the new OC is needs to find a way to maximize Marqise Lee's talent, if used properly I believe he can be one of the more dynamic playmakers in the league. That's why I like the idea of E. Bennett because the Packers have a similar weapon in Randall Cobb (btw Lee is a more explosive athlete than Cobb). You'll see RC lined up outside, in the slot, and in the backfield when the Packers are in shotgun, it creates matchup nightmares for defenses, a lot of times they have to declare their coverage pre-snap (when Cobb is in the backfield). If the defense decides to bring down a smaller defender to defend Lee (out of the backfield) run the ball right at him, if they decide to play zone run the ball right at them, and if they foolishly leave a linebacker to man-up on Lee we’ll win that matchup all day long. The Jaguars (potentially) have a budding-elite offense, that's why it's so important to find an OC that can put players in a position to succeed, the ceiling here is immense.

Quote:This wouldn't surprise me, the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers (Allen Robinson/Jordy Nelson/Marqise Lee/Randall Cobb), both Lee and Robinson are dynamic after the catch, it'd make sense to implement a West Coast offense to take advantage of those skillsets, I believe the Packers run a ZBS as well. I'd be ecstatic if we hired Bennett.

I've been saying for 2 weeks now I think its Bennett. He would be a great fit here. 

Quote:Nelson and Robinson from the same ilk? I highly doubt that.

Nelson and Robinson have similar size and are athletic marvels, they're both freaks. They're dynamic after the catch; I'm not sure how anyone can't see the comparison.

Quote:I've been saying for 2 weeks now I think its Bennett. He would be a great fit here. 

He'd be a great fit, the West Coast offense is a thing a beauty when ran correctly, it usually takes some time though. You saw a vast improvement in the Giants’ offense this year as the season went along; of course Odell Beckham certainly helped that cause.