Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
People "shying away" from Jaguars OC position per John Clayton via BCC

Quote:I'm not really worried about who they hire, to be honest.

Yeah, who cares if they hire a dud like Fisch, it isn't like they don't have a reputation for that or something... :mellow:

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He'd be a great fit, the West Coast offense is a thing a beauty when ran correctly, it usually takes some time though. You saw a vast improvement in the Giants’ offense this year as the season went along; of course Odell Beckham certainly helped that cause.
He'd be a great fit based on what?  His past play calling?   His ability to craft an offense that will allow us to develop Bortles? 

I like Bennett as a position coach.  He's nowhere near ready to be the guy running an offense, IMO.  With a young offense that has some of the youngest skill players in the NFL, this team needs an OC who has the background to coach this unit into an effective group.  I don't see where Bennett has the seasoning to handle that responsibility. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Gotta love this board.  Media says something bad about Jaguars, everyone freaks out.

Been going on for years and years.  Media's been spot on everytime, to my dismay. 

Until the Jags show something different, i have no reason to bash this opinion.

Remember when idiot Vegas has the over/under at 5 games last season.  How dare they show the Jags such lack of respect.

I would think an inexperienced candidate would jump at the chance because opportunities dont always come around.  For someone more established though I can understand why someone would want to pass.  If this team doesnt have a good year, decent chance Bradley is gone.  Which means the OC would be gone.  Nobody wants to be fired.

Quote:He'd be a great fit based on what?  His past play calling?   His ability to craft an offense that will allow us to develop Bortles? 

I like Bennett as a position coach.  He's nowhere near ready to be the guy running an offense, IMO.  With a young offense that has some of the youngest skill players in the NFL, this team needs an OC who has the background to coach this unit into an effective group.  I don't see where Bennett has the seasoning to handle that responsibility. 

Mike McCarthy disagrees. 

Quote:He'd be a great fit based on what?  His past play calling?   His ability to craft an offense that will allow us to develop Bortles? 

which guys do you like for the OC position?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I understand the concern, but if you're looking for an experienced coordinator that has had success calling plays and
developing a young QB I believe you're going to be disappointed. There are not too many candidates available that can claim they've done such a thing, maybe a Bill Callahan or Rick Dennison?  Both of those guys are surely hot commodities so there's no guarantee they'd come here, Edgar Bennett has coached under one of the brightest offensive minds in football in Mike McCarthy, MM speaks highly of him. Ben Macadoo didn't call plays in GB and had a lot of success coordinating the New York Giants offense especially as the season went along, I understand he has a veteran QB in Eli Manning but you can't discredit the job he's done. Also, as I mentioned earlier the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers, it'd make sense to implement an offense that took advantage of Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson strengths, both guys were lauded for the YAC abilities, the West Coast offense emphasizes YAC. I believe the Jaguars OC target is currently coaching in the playoffs, when you start to narrow down the candidates Bennett makes as much sense as anyone else, just my opinion.

Quote:I understand the concern, but if you're looking for an experienced coordinator that has had success calling plays and
developing a young QB I believe you're going to be disappointed. There are not too many candidates available that can claim they've done such a thing, maybe a Bill Callahan or Rick Dennison?  Both of those guys are surely hot commodities so there's no guarantee they'd come here, Edgar Bennett has coached under one of the brightest offensive minds in football in Mike McCarthy, MM speaks highly of him. Ben Macadoo didn't call plays in GB and had a lot of success coordinating the New York Giants offense especially as the season went along, I understand he has a veteran QB in Eli Manning but you can't discredit the job he's done. Also, as I mentioned earlier the Jaguars have similar skill players to the Packers, it'd make sense to implement an offense that took advantage of Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson strengths, both guys were lauded for the YAC abilities, the West Coast offense emphasizes YAC. I believe the Jaguars OC target is currently coaching in the playoffs, when you start to narrow down the candidates Bennett makes as much sense as anyone else, just my opinion.

FBT seems to think Bennett has no role in the prep and game planning with the Packers. He'd be very wrong in that regard. Also great post. 

Quote:which guys do you like for the OC position?

Of the group they're looking at currently, or in general?

I'd be fine with Callahan.  I think he'd help the line significantly.

I think Trestman would be a good fit if the goal is to have a coordinator who has a track record working with young QBs.

I'm not averse to looking at position coaches like Linehan.  I know Schefter reported the other day the team had requested permission from Dallas to interview him.  I'm wondering if the subsequent request to talk to Callahan was possibly the result of Jerry Jones saying no to the Linehan request? 

A name that popped up earlier this week is Rick Dennison, the QB coach in Baltimore.  He's a guy that has been an effective OC getting more than 8,500 passing yards out of Jay Cutler in his first 2 years in Denver, then making Matt Schaub look like a legitimate starter in Houston with his 4,000 yard season.  He's got a background as an offensive line coach as well for several years.  The guy coached Flacco to his best season statistically for yardage and touchdowns.  I'm not sure if he would have any interest in parting ways with his coordinator, but with Kubiak pulling his name out of consideration in Chicago, it seems like he might need to in order to take that next step. 

I'd be okay with someone like Anthony Lynn if the expectation is that we'll keep Scelfo as the QB coach.  He's got a good background in developing the running game in NY despite their lackluster passing attack. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Of the group they're looking at currently, or in general?

I'd be fine with Callahan.  I think he'd help the line significantly.

I think Trestman would be a good fit if the goal is to have a coordinator who has a track record working with young QBs.

I'm not averse to looking at position coaches like Linehan.  I know Schefter reported the other day the team had requested permission from Dallas to interview him.  I'm wondering if the subsequent request to talk to Callahan was possibly the result of Jerry Jones saying no to the Linehan request? 

A name that popped up earlier this week is Rick Dennison, the QB coach in Baltimore.  He's a guy that has been an effective OC getting more than 8,500 passing yards out of Jay Cutler in his first 2 years in Denver, then making Matt Schaub look like a legitimate starter in Houston with his 4,000 yard season.  He's got a background as an offensive line coach as well for several years.  The guy coached Flacco to his best season statistically for yardage and touchdowns.  I'm not sure if he would have any interest in parting ways with his coordinator, but with Kubiak pulling his name out of consideration in Chicago, it seems like he might need to in order to take that next step. 

I'd be okay with someone like Anthony Lynn if the expectation is that we'll keep Scelfo as the QB coach.  He's got a good background in developing the running game in NY despite their lackluster passing attack. 
hahahahah Yea... Let's definitely get someone from the Jets offense. No to Bennett and yes to Lynn? Yikes.

Quote:I understand the concern, but if you're looking for an experienced coordinator that has had success calling plays and
Actually, there are quite a few candidates out there that the team could pursue who have both coordinator and head coaching background.  Both Callahan and Dennison would almost  have to be on the Jags radar, and we know that they're looking to interview one of them for sure. 

I don't really care how highly McCarthy speaks about Bennett.  He's still not at the point where I'd trust handing this offense to him, IMO. 

I'd discount Macadoo as well.  He works for Coughlin.  We know the drill for his offensive play calling.  Coordinators seem to go to work for Coughlin and no matter how creative they might be, their offense looks identical to what the guy they're replacing ran.  Coughlin calls the shots on offense even now in NY. 

Sorry, but this team is too young to go with a first time coordinator.  They need a guy who is ready to step into that role and turn things around quickly.  You're more likely to get there with a proven entity, and in year 3 of a rebuild, we don't need someone who is just trying to figure it out. 

Quote:hahahahah Yea... Let's definitely get someone from the Jets offense. No to Bennett and yes to Lynn? Yikes.

One has more coaching experience than the other.  Lynn has been the assistant head coach and the architect of one of the better rushing attacks in the league.  It's not about the program they're coming from, but the quality of coaching they have proven to be capable of.   One is more ready to be the play caller than the other. 

Quote:Actually, there are quite a few candidates out there that the team could pursue who have both coordinator and head coaching background.  Both Callahan and Dennison would almost  have to be on the Jags radar, and we know that they're looking to interview one of them for sure. 

I don't really care how highly McCarthy speaks about Bennett.  He's still not at the point where I'd trust handing this offense to him, IMO. 

I'd discount Macadoo as well.  He works for Coughlin.  We know the drill for his offensive play calling.  Coordinators seem to go to work for Coughlin and no matter how creative they might be, their offense looks identical to what the guy they're replacing ran.  Coughlin calls the shots on offense even now in NY. 

Sorry, but this team is too young to go with a first time coordinator.  They need a guy who is ready to step into that role and turn things around quickly.  You're more likely to get there with a proven entity, and in year 3 of a rebuild, we don't need someone who is just trying to figure it out. 

it's amazing that Gus didn't see that as a problem to begin with.

Also, why in the world is he even interviewing people that haven't had OC experience?  Boggles the mind.

I agree that we need an OC that has had experience ans success previously.  Anything else and you're setting yourself up for failure.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:FBT seems to think Bennett has no role in the prep and game planning with the Packers. He'd be very wrong in that regard. Also great post. 

Not true.  I just don't think he's the guy calling the plays on Sunday, or that his impact is as significant being a position coach on a team that has one of the best quarterbacks in the league as some here might think. 

Bennett is probably a fine position coach with the potential to eventually be a good OC. 

Sorry, but one of the big knocks on Fisch was his lack of experience in the NFL as a coordinator.  That was coming from the same cast of characters that now wants to plug a guy in there who has no play calling experience at all.  Funny how that works, isn't it?

Quote:it's amazing that Gus didn't see that as a problem to begin with.

Also, why in the world is he even interviewing people that haven't had OC experience?  Boggles the mind.

I agree that we need an OC that has had experience ans success previously.  Anything else and you're setting yourself up for failure.

He gets a mulligan on the Fisch hire because putting a staff together initially, especially for a first time head coach, can be challenging.  Most of the time new coaches are going to hire guys they've worked with before because of the familiarity.  That's exactly what Gus did there.

It doesn't hurt to interview these less experienced guys because they might be on the cusp of being ready to take that next step.  It gives you a pool of candidates to consider for other positions once that coordinator gig is filled. 

Still, with as young an offense as we have, particularly at skill positions and along the line, you need a guy who can be a teacher AND play caller.  That's why I really think talking to guys that don't have the track record is more or less due diligence, and the primary goal is to get a coordinator who can be plugged in and can get the offense off the ground quickly.  I don't want some guy who is just creating his play book as he's being hired. 

Quote:Actually, there are quite a few candidates out there that the team could pursue who have both coordinator and head coaching background.  Both Callahan and Dennison would almost  have to be on the Jags radar, and we know that they're looking to interview one of them for sure. 

So we should take your word over McCarthy's? I'll take an established coaches opinion over a message board admin. It's not like you haven't been proven wrong several times on this board. I do however respect your opinion. Whoever our OC is I hope Caldwell and Gus feel he is the best guy for the job

Quote:So we should take your word over McCarthy's? I'll take an established coaches opinion over a message board admin. It's not like you haven't been proven wrong several times on this board. I do however respect your opinion. Whoever our OC is I hope Caldwell and Gus feel he is the best guy for the job

You're more than welcome to fawn over him as you see fit.  I've never disputed he's a good position coach.  But, is he on the list of potential OC candidates for this team?  Not that I've heard.

Look at the names that are now starting to roll out that the team is looking at.  Most of the guys have a wealth of experience that Bennett still needs to gain. 

Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/14/7...c-position

Here's an excerpt from the article

"It was a very curious move for Gus Bradley to fire Jedd Fisch. They were such good friends and all that. Hey, you go to a rookie quarterback, and the expectations are you're only going to get 14-16 points a game. That's reality, particularly knowing they didn't have a running game. So, Rick Dennison can be a candidate, but I think a lot of people are shying away from the job because it's going to take some time for this team to build up."

I'm not saying that any coaches are staying away from the Jaguars O/C job.   But if there was a reason,   the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility that there's concern that if the Jaguars don't make enough tangible improvement in 2015,   Gus Bradley won't be back in 2016.   Hence,  using that line of thinking,  it's possible that one or more coaches are waiting to see what other opportunties are available once more HC situations are filled.    Of course,  that's a risky strategy on the part of a coach who is looking for an O/C position in 2015.  

Tried to tell that idiot FBT that nobody who will really change things will come here on a 16 game tryout and then be fired when we have another losing season. Whether it's Clayton's opinion or not I find it hard to believe he just pulled that out of his [BLEEP] just to give some Jaguars news up. The most irrelevant team in the league. Clayton is more connected to NFL people than some frustrated Jaguars message board fans that are mad someone is putting out less than stellar news about their team.

This is not a "plum" job or a challenge, it is a damn train wreck that is one season away from seeing the whole coaching staff being replaced. This is exactly why you do not bring in an inexperienced coach on a team that is trying an experiment that is rebuilding with all young players. Gus Bradley doesn't know what the hell he's doing and is trying to smile his way thru this disaster. Clayton doesn't have a track record of saying stuff that just doesn't make sense. Vic used to hold him in high regard so I tend to believe him on what I already knew.