Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Books

I figured that it would be nice and civil to have a discussion about what everyone's favorite books are, what everyone's favorite genres are, who everyone's favorite authors are, and what everyone is reading right now.

I'm currently reading: Lord of the Flies, and Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku. I generally prefer reading books about science fiction, the military, science, politics, business, economics, history, and anything that is educational and can offer professional help. I'm not particularly into fantasy or mystery novels, but I do enjoy reading the classics like Shakespeare, Dante, and Homer. 

I can enjoy reading pretty much anything by George Orwell and any of the science fiction greats like H.G. Wells. I also really liked Dune by Frank Herbert, as well as Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I figured that it would be nice and civil to have a discussion about what everyone's favorite books are, what everyone's favorite genres are, who everyone's favorite authors are, and what everyone is reading right now.

I'm currently reading: Lord of the Flies, and Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku. I generally prefer reading books about science fiction, the military, science, politics, business, economics, history, and anything that is educational and can offer professional help. I'm not particularly into fantasy or mystery novels, but I do enjoy reading the classics like Shakespeare, Dante, and Homer.

I can enjoy reading pretty much anything by George Orwell and any of the science fiction greats like H.G. Wells. I also really liked Dune by Frank Herbert, as well as Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

That series is the bomb! I really enjoyed the subtle political and religious sub plots in the book.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I am a huge Vonnegut fan (even have some of his art). I like that Vonnegut has apt things to say, but doesn't dress them up with too much irrelevant info.  That being said, I like to read challenging books and then get into something easy.

Some tough books I have read recently:  Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and Ulysses by James Joyce.  I then read some easier stuff like 7 Years in Tibet and The Alchemist.

I recently read some of Melville's short stories (Bartleby and others) and  am currently reading White Noise by Don Delillo.  I am really enjoying it.

I am also reading the Harry Potter series with my daughter.  We read every night before bed and are currently on the 3rd book.  I am really enjoying it.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I read whatever pics my interest at the time. I finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand about Louie Zamperini a few weeks ago and am now on an autobiography/biography kick so I'm now reading American Sniper by Chris Kyle. I wish someone would write a book about Clint Eastwood. Preferably Clint himself. I find him to be a fascinating man.

John Sandford is my favorite author. I've been reading him for about 15 years now. I also like Michael Connelly. I used to like Patricia Cornwell but she got freaking weird over the last 6-8 years or so, so I don't even bother with her anymore. I used to read Tom Clancy and Stephen King but they somehow got even wordier than they used to be and I can't read a book that takes 10 pages to describe a guy opening a door. I know another guy has been writing for Clancy for some time but he's not any better.

I'm all over the map in my reading.  The more I travel - the more I read.  If I have a long flight and want to simply pass the time - I'll read a crime or spy novel. If I have time to kill while on the road that isn't sitting on a plane - then I'll go for more substance. 

If I'm looking for substance I just look up a list of "classics" and choose one I haven't read yet.   Lately Joyce and Hesse stuff. I usually buy used copies from amazon.  Sometimes I'll download and use the kindle app on my mobile or laptop. 

I'm also fond of military/historical non-fiction. These are incredibly interesting to me and are also great for insomnia - as you'll never go more than 20 pages without running into some long-winded minutiae on strategy and/or geographical details of a particular skirmish or battle.  They can happily induce the "nod-off." 

The Rick Atkinson trilogy on WWII is an amazingly informative and moving read with just the right amount of "nod-offs." 

Quote:I'm all over the map in my reading.  The more I travel - the more I read.  If I have a long flight and want to simply pass the time - I'll read a crime or spy novel. If I have time to kill while on the road that isn't sitting on a plane - then I'll go for more substance. 

If I'm looking for substance I just look up a list of "classics" and choose one I haven't read yet.   Lately Joyce and Hess stuff. I usually buy used copies from amazon.  Sometimes I'll download and use the kindle app on my mobile or laptop. 

I'm also fond of military/historical non-fiction. These are incredibly interesting to me and are also great for insomnia - as you'll never go more than 20 pages without running into some long-winded minutiae on strategy and/or geographical details of a particular skirmish or battle. 

The Rick Atkinson trilogy on WWII is an amazingly informative and moving read. 
Do you mean Herman Hesse or Joan Hess?  If Hesse, I liked Siddartha.  Have yet to check out Steppenwolf.  As for Joyce.  I really like Portrait of the Artist and appreciated Ulysses as literature, but didn't really enjoy the book.  

― Albert Camus

Quote:Do you mean Herman Hesse or Joan Hess?  If Hesse, I liked Siddartha.  Have yet to check out Steppenwolf.  As for Joyce.  I really like Portrait of the Artist and appreciated Ulysses as literature, but didn't really enjoy the book.  

Yes, Hesse.  Apologies for the misspelling. 

I re-read Siddartha and also read  The Journey to the East.  Both of which have a few parallels with The Alchemist that you mentioned earlier. 

My favorite Joyce to date is <i>Dubliners. </i> Lighter - and it paints a picture of a place in time.  

Quote:Yes, Hesse.  Apologies for the misspelling. 

I re-read Siddartha and also read  The Journey to the East.  Both of with have a few parallels with The Alchemist that you mentioned earlier. 

My favorite Joyce to date is <i>Dubliners. </i> Lighter - and it paints a picture of a place in time.  
I have never heard of Joan Hess.  I Googled the name to see if I was missing something.  :woot:

― Albert Camus

I've noticed a strong correlation thus far with the users on here saying that they read books to typically be very insightful, and highly intelligent users. Anybody who says that reading books is dumb, it's a waste of time, and that it doesn't help critical thinking and writing ability is fooling themselves. Being a voracious reader could mean the difference between flipping burgers at a restaurant, or being the CEO of a company.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but this is just something that irritates me about people in general these days.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 12:16 AM by snaxdelrio.)

I read mostly science fiction. I'm currently reading "A Hole in Space" by Larry Niven. Niven is probably my favorite author or maybe Ray Bradbury. My Favorite book is "Battle Circle" by Piers Anthony.

Quote:I'm all over the map in my reading.  The more I travel - the more I read.  If I have a long flight and want to simply pass the time - I'll read a crime or spy novel. If I have time to kill while on the road that isn't sitting on a plane - then I'll go for more substance. 

If I'm looking for substance I just look up a list of "classics" and choose one I haven't read yet.   Lately Joyce and Hesse stuff. I usually buy used copies from amazon.  Sometimes I'll download and use the kindle app on my mobile or laptop. 

I'm also fond of military/historical non-fiction. These are incredibly interesting to me and are also great for insomnia - as you'll never go more than 20 pages without running into some long-winded minutiae on strategy and/or geographical details of a particular skirmish or battle.  They can happily induce the "nod-off." 

The Rick Atkinson trilogy on WWII is an amazingly informative and moving read with just the right amount of "nod-offs." 

Excellent piece of work.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I read mostly science fiction. I'm currently reading "A Hole in Space" by Larry Niven. Niven is probably my favorite author or maybe Ray Bradbury. My Favorite book is "Battle Circle" by Piers Anthony.

I used to read Piers Anthony back in the 90's. I loved the Incarnations of Immortality series.

Band of Brothers and Generation Kill are two of my faves. Completely different generations and wars but both so interesting in their own way.

Even though I'm not a fan of Elvis Presley I got caught up in several books about him many years ago. I got on a 'people who are dead' kick and read about John Kennedy and Jackie, Marilyn Monroe, Jim Morrison and a few others.

A previous thread on this topic lead me to Vince Flynn (thanks, FBT) and I've been reading his books ever since.

I need to make it a goal to read more.  I don't spend nearly enough time reading, great thread.

I'm currently almost done reading "Manhunt, the 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer", very interesting. I have always enjoyed history going back to jr. high/HS days. I got "Boys in the Boat" for Christmas, looking forward to reading that. About the U.S. row team in 1936 in the Olympics.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM by Deacon.)

I'm also one of those "all over the place" type of people when it comes to my books. I do tend towards Fantasy and Sci-Fi a little much but I will read most anything Malcolm Gladwell writes down, just to give you an idea of the disparity of my tastes.

A series that I'm reading now is called the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and it might be one of the best written stories I've ever come across. I am not throwing that around lightly either.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I read mostly science fiction. I'm currently reading "A Hole in Space" by Larry Niven. Niven is probably my favorite author or maybe Ray Bradbury. My Favorite book is "Battle Circle" by Piers Anthony.
Anthony is one of my favorite Author's for scifi/fantasy. Just got done reading Incarnations of Immortality for like the 7th time Smile 

Quote:I figured that it would be nice and civil to have a discussion about what everyone's favorite books are, what everyone's favorite genres are, who everyone's favorite authors are, and what everyone is reading right now.

Just got done reading The Grand Design by Hawking. Relatively short read but I thought it was a fantastic read on a physicists view of what reality is. 

Quote:A previous thread on this topic lead me to Vince Flynn (thanks, FBT) and I've been reading his books ever since.

I need to make it a goal to read more.  I don't spend nearly enough time reading, great thread.
This is the first time that anyone has ever complimented me for posting a thread before. +1 to you Sir.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 04:39 PM by UCF Knight.)

I'm mostly interested in history books or books that involve crime in nature.

When it comes to fiction like Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and probably too many Tom Clancy books.

I've recently gotten into some World War II books.  Pretty interesting time on how Churchill, Patton, and the like handled things.

Edit:  I read a lot more when I was younger ( as in like 7 to 10) and I think that really helped with school.  I hope my son picks it up...I think it helps with schoolwork across the board.