Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Books

Quote:I've also read Game of Thrones, but I try not to talk about it because I get upset. The only book I've ever thrown across the room. I did it twice . . . and still finished the story. Plus I have to wait another 6 years probably to find out if "you know who" is really dead.

[BAD WORD REMOVED] [BAD WORD REMOVED] George [BAD WORD REMOVED] R.R. Martin

I recently started reading the story because I was liking the show.  I started the 4th book a couple of days ago.  I've heard this one wasn't as popular among the fans but I guess I'll find out.  Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I recently started reading the story because I was liking the show. I started the 4th book a couple of days ago. I've heard this one wasn't as popular among the fan butess I'll find out. Smile

I started reading Game of Thrones and was really enjoying it, but I couldn't open a magazine or Yahoo without some spoiler leaking out. I kept finding out events before I even knew some of the people who were involved in the event. I got frustrated and picked something else up. That being said, it was enjoyable
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I started reading Game of Thrones and was really enjoying it, but I couldn't open a magazine or Yahoo without some spoiler leaking out. I kept finding out events before I even knew some of the people who were involved in the event. I got frustrated and picked something else up. That being said, it was enjoyable

About midway through the first book, the story starts to diverge from the series in terms of details although the overall direction is still roughly the same.  Most spoilers are for the series so it's not to bad.  Now in the fourth book, I'm into territory that the HBO series hasn't covered yet so it's definitely keeping my attention.  The scope and detail of this story is pretty incredible and on a level shared by only a few others. "Lord of the Rings" or "Dune" come to mind.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I'm also one of those "all over the place" type of people when it comes to my books. I do tend towards Fantasy and Sci-Fi a little much but I will read most anything Malcolm Gladwell writes down, just to give you an idea of the disparity of my tastes.

A series that I'm reading now is called the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and it might be one of the best written stories I've ever come across. I am not throwing that around lightly either.
I am going to download that right now on your recommendation.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I've read the entire Dark Tower series by Steven King and loved it. If you're a king fan definitely worth a read. The first one he wrote in the 70's, the last one in the 00's. A lot of references to his other work and even characters from other stories make an appearance.

Quote:I've also read Game of Thrones, but I try not to talk about it because I get upset. The only book I've ever thrown across the room. I did it twice . . . and still finished the story. Plus I have to wait another 6 years probably to find out if "you know who" is really dead.

Yeah, I have a feeling, he's done with everything, just waiting 5 or so years inbetween releasing  books to increase his value, and relevancy.  

s
;

;

Well I didn't throw my Nook, but if it had been an actual book I would have thrown it, kicked it and then jumped on a couple of the books.  I anxiously await for the next one to come out so I can work on my anger issues when George kills off another of my favorite characters.

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I am going to download that right now on your recommendation.

You won't be disappointed.

Also, the first four books of King's Dark Tower series. Really good read.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:You won't be disappointed.

Also, the first four books of King's Dark Tower series. Really good read..
I loved the Dark Tower early in the series.  After awhile it seemed to me he lost his way and it took five pages to make a point.  I still use the term tuter fish.  

Quote:I loved the Dark Tower early in the series.  After awhile it seemed to me he lost his way and it took five pages to make a point.  I still use the term tuter fish.  

Yeah, you could definitely pick up the "break" in the story. It just got too surreal in the 5th, 6th, and 7th books.

I could still read Roland's "adventure" in Tull over and over and over again. Just incredible.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Im reading my grandfathers autobiography. It's kind of hard to follow some of the translations don't make sense but it's cool to hear his story.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

About 1/3 of the way through the 1st book and so far I love it!  Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem.

I'm glad someone made this thread. I want to check out The Way of Kings based on TBGH's recommendation.

Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus

Might read Killing Patton.

Huge fan or crime stories and adventure books.

Sports biographies are always a treat.

Just started a book Killer Elite. Got it for 3$ at books a million and it is on the history of the Navy Seals. Pretty interesting.

Quote:Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus

Might read Killing Patton.

Huge fan or crime stories and adventure books.

Sports biographies are always a treat.

Just started a book Killer Elite. Got it for 3$ at books a million and it is on the history of the Navy Seals. Pretty interesting.
Ever read Devil in the White City?

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015, 06:10 PM by trunt87.)

Quote:Ever read Devil in the White City?
Naw. How is it? About to look into it right now.

I saw a documentary on H. H. Holmes on netflix. Dude was sick. I might make this purchase though. Love these types of books.

Quote:Naw. How is it? About to look into it right now.

I saw a documentary on H. H. Holmes on netflix. Dude was sick. I might make this purchase though. Love these types of books.

Great book. If you like crime stories, it's for you.

Quote:About 1/3 of the way through the 1st book and so far I love it! Thanks for the recommendation.

The second book is my favourite but the 1st is a close second

How disappointing that the entire series is not available for my e-reader (in english that is).  I know it is only a matter of time but I was ready to storm through the series.  Great book.  Thank you again for the recommendation.

Quote:How disappointing that the entire series is not available for my e-reader (in english that is).  I know it is only a matter of time but I was ready to storm through the series.  Great book.  Thank you again for the recommendation.

As far as I know, only two books out of three have been published. I'm going to want to go back through those two before I dig into #3, I can already tell.