Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Books

Quote:How disappointing that the entire series is not available for my e-reader (in english that is).  I know it is only a matter of time but I was ready to storm through the series.  Great book.  Thank you again for the recommendation.

I like King but I think the last book in that series really went off the deep end.  I read an article once where he said he felt like he needed to get it done while he was still alive because he felt like their were forces trying to prevent him from finishing the series.  Just goes to prove that in every writer there lives a little insanity.  But in any case, I think the last book felt like a little bit of a rush which didn't do it any service.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I like King but I think the last book in that series really went off the deep end.  I read an article once where he said he felt like he needed to get it done while he was still alive because he felt like their were forces trying to prevent him from finishing the series.  Just goes to prove that in every writer their lives a little insanity.  But in any case, I think the last book felt like a little bit of a rush which didn't do it any service.

I have nothing to add here, I just wanted you to know that I agreed with you.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I have nothing to add here, I just wanted you to know that I agreed with you.

I've read Eyes of the Dragon which reads like a really strange alternate-universe, alternate-genre origin story of the Gunslinger.  You may have read it already, but if you haven't, it's interesting on several levels. 

Quote:I've read Eyes of the Dragon which reads like a really strange alternate-universe, alternate-genre origin story of the Gunslinger.  You may have read it already, but if you haven't, it's interesting on several levels. 

I read it a long time back, and I enjoyed how Flagg reappeared in the Dark Tower.

I keep hoping that they are going to do this monstrous big screen adaptation of the story, but I worry that it's just too big for Hollywood to let it come to fruition.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I read it a long time back, and I enjoyed how Flagg reappeared in the Dark Tower.

I keep hoping that they are going to do this monstrous big screen adaptation of the story, but I worry that it's just too big for Hollywood to let it come to fruition.

I think if they did it, they'd have to do it in either a spare-no-expense HBO series like the Ice and Fire story or something like the Peter Jackson/LOTR trilogy.

Quote:I read it a long time back, and I enjoyed how Flagg reappeared in the Dark Tower.

I'm thinking the only way the Dark Tower is going to be done right is if HBO does it like they did with Game of Thrones. I don't think the fullness of the story can be told through a series of movies IMO.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:I think if they did it, they'd have to do it in either a spare-no-expense HBO series like the Ice and Fire story or something like the Peter Jackson/LOTR trilogy.
You freaking beat me to it!
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:I think if they did it, they'd have to do it in either a spare-no-expense HBO series like the Ice and Fire story or something like the Peter Jackson/LOTR trilogy.

Quote:I'm thinking the only way the Dark Tower is going to be done right is if HBO does it like they did with Game of Thrones. I don't think the fullness of the story can be told through a series of movies IMO.

There is talk out there that Ron Howard is in love with the story and he wants it to get to the big screen. The templates that I have heard discussed is that it would be four Motion Pictures, with three mini-series airing on a channel such as HBO in between the Motion Pictures.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than we already have with Film talk, so maybe we can pull a J dub and start another thread.

Quote:Late to the thread here so I'm going to end up echoing a lot of others. As opposed to what some others have said on here, I probably spend too much time reading.

Rothfuss is incredible. Kingkiller is not just compelling, but beautifully written and features one of the deepest fictional worlds I've ever come across.

Dune is another of my favorites. I need to give the prequels a try, but never seem to have the time.

Also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson. He does big epic fantasy with incredibly rich ecologies, cultures, magic in the background. Highly recommended for any Tolkien lovers. If not for Rothfuss, The Way of Kings series would be my favorite book in the past 20 years.

Recently, I got a lot of pulpy stuff for Christmas which was fun. A couple of Gotrek and Felix novels from my brother (good slasher fun I found in college), the Pathfinder series by Orson Scott Card was interesting sci-fi from my parents, if anticlimactic because the protagonists were a little overpowered, and next up is Revival by Stephen King from my sister and a book on medieval warfare and siegecraft from my parents. Before Christmas was "A Complete History of Japan" which for only about 300 pages had a lot of good stuff and was really interesting.

Will have to add the new Hawking book to my list because I've enjoyed all the stuff I've read from him.
Just wanted to thank you for the recommendation of The Way of Kings <span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">series.  It was difficult to get through the first part of the first book but well worth the effort.  Thank you!
</span>

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I've been on a roll reading trail hiking books. I really want to hike the Appalachian Trail but I don't see it happening any time soon due to the cost of equipment and I'd have to do it alone as my husband wouldn't be able to take 6 months off to do it with me. I wouldn't mind doing it alone but he wouldn't want me to.

Recently finished The Beach by Alex Garland. Not great literature, but very good and engaging. I liked it a lot.

Just picked up 'Consider the Lobster and other essays' by David Foster Wallace. Good stuff
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I've been on a roll reading trail hiking books. I really want to hike the Appalachian Trail but I don't see it happening any time soon due to the cost of equipment and I'd have to do it alone as my husband wouldn't be able to take 6 months off to do it with me. I wouldn't mind doing it alone but he wouldn't want me to.

Fiction or non fiction trail hiking books?
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

i went through a stage where i enjoyed Dan Brown books... The Inferno was a pretty fun read... i read it around the time i was taking a sociology class and we were discussing Malthusians theory so it really grabbed my attention.

a non fiction book i really enjoyed was Empire of the Summer Moon... that book will give you a new perspective on the plains native Americans and the real horrors that both sides(the Army and the Natives) inflicted on each other during the western frontier timeline... there is no doubt that Native Americans experienced near genocide from settlers on the eastern front, but holy cow, the Comanche tribe was absolutely ruthless in some of there methods... something i didnt really realize before reading this was that alot of the terrible acts were exclusive to settlers and Native Americans battling each other... infact alot of bloodshed came between the tribes and really ramped up with the introduction of horses by the Spaniards.... the most insteresting portion of the book,IMO,  was learning about the connection the Natives had with their land and their understanding of the environment in which they lived, how thier nomadic style actually allowed them to coexist with their land without destroying the places they lived.

Whenever I run across these kind of posts, I always recommend American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I definitely feel like this was the best new book I've read in the last decade. Other recommendations are: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams, Death by Black Home by Neil deGrasse Tyson (my current man-crush) and I'm going old school with Inferno by Dante because the classics need to be repped.

I'm intrigued by the commentary on The Way of Kings series and will be checking that out. I read the Silmarillion every 2-3 years out of habit so I love me some Tolkien and would probably really get into this.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:Fiction or non fiction trail hiking books?
Stories by folks who have done the PCT mainly. There's one I wanted to read from a guy who did the AT but it/he got a little weird. I bought a book, Backpacking in North Carolina to see where local trails are. If I can't do a big one then at least I can do 2-3 day ones within the state.

I've been reading a lot more, but I can't really post some titles here because of the CoC.  I can say that they are non-fiction and mostly politically related.  A couple of history related books that I read fairly recently are "Under the Loving Care of Fatherly Leader" which is about North Korea, and another titled "American Sniper" which is the autobiography of a U.S. Navy SEAL.  For leisure I prefer to read about history and politics.  For professional reading it leans more towards subjects that would really bore most people (electronics and programming).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've never been a book reader and I honestly think I have a learning disability when it comes to reading. It's not that I don't like reading, I actually have trouble doing it. Fortunately I've been able to self-teach myself the programming/software skills that I need to make a pretty comfortable living.

(I guess that wasn't really a book)
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I'm sort of a sports book junkie. I just finished The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman about the 1986 Mets. Good stuff.

I just finished reading The Man From St Petersburg by Ken Follett.  

It's a real page-turner, less than 400 pages long.  

It's fiction set in 1914, when the British were trying to make a military alliance with Russia because they knew that without the Russians, they could not hope to stop the Germans in the upcoming war.  (World War One)   An anarchist from Russia trails the Russian diplomat to London, in order to assassinate him, because he knows that an alliance with the British will mean millions of Russian peasants will die in the upcoming war if Russia gets involved.  

I've been on a bit of a mini-Cormac McCarthy binge. I read The Road last month. As a post-apocalyptic saga, it has no peer imo.

Just finished The Crossing, and just starting Cities of the Plain, which will complete McCarthy's Border Trilogy. His prose takes a little getting used to, and I think I miss something since I don't speak/read Spanish, of which there are many stretches of conversation. But what stories he tells of the southwest. Mesmerizing. McCarthy may be our best living novelist.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]