Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PFF grades. How many times do you watch each play by each player?

Below is the link to the explanation of how PFF grades.  It is waaaaaay to long to try to cut and paste.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

What I will cut and paste is a key piece.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><b>How We Grade</b>

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">There are two main processes that are used to come up with the grades: player participation and the actual grading process. Player participation is more black and white as it consists of which players are on the field, where and general information about the actions they performed (rush the passer, drop into coverage, stay in to pass block, etc).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">This process is performed by two separate analysts on two separate spreadsheets. Each spreadsheet is then compared and any discrepancies are reviewed by a third analyst in order to ensure near-100 percent accuracy. We’ve found that both blind runs are generally at least 99.7% accurate and once the games are checked, we’re confident that our work is very close to 100% by mid-week (actually stands at 99.98%).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">As for the grading process, it starts as soon as a game is completed. Each play consists of two basic sections, one for the grading and one for stat collection, which would include detail such as (but by no means limited to) which gap the run goes through or which route was thrown on a pass.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">The grading for each game passes through three individuals (two who grade every player on every play) to ensure that the grading and stat collection is thoroughly checked and critiqued. This ensures that both our procedures and the interpretation of each play is rigorously checked and consistently applied.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">Using All-22

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">While we feel strongly about our ability to grade games based on the broadcast footage, the All-22 has been an invaluable addition to our processes. The original analyst is instructed to flag any plays from the broadcast footage that need more information or a better view from the coach’s film. The second and third analysts are then able to pinpoint these plays along with others to get a clearer, more decisive look at every play. The use of All-22 has also allowed us to expand our analysis of special teams plays into greater depth and breadth than is possible from broadcast footage.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"> 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't understand why you posted this.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I don't understand why you posted this.

Very fair question.  I certainly don't intend to pimp for PFF.  My reason is frustration with the unfair and inaccurate criticism the offensive line has been getting as individuals.  As a unit I thought it looked really bad but after reading Alfie's article on BCC tonight even that presumption on my part was pretty much wrong.  Several of us have been using PFF stats (or metrics if you want a sexier name) to try to point out that.  In each article or posting that looks at these kinds of issues there are a bunch of posts that say the numbers are "suspect" or made up etc.   So I thought I would post how they get their numbers so maybe their analysis could get a little more credibility on the MB.  Every team in the NFL buys a much more sophisticated version of this stuff from PFF than what we can get as individuals.

I got into PFF because I wanted some answers as to why we had to endure another rotten, heartbreaking season after having already endured so many.  I was also ready to sign up with the pitchforks and torches crew, I just wanted to go after the right culprits.

We discarded Reggie Nelson who is 21st of 88 safeties while Josh Evans is 85th of 88.  We discarded Justin Forsett who is now 6th of 57 running backs.  Both sure could have helped this year.  We certainly need to fix some things with this team with the record they put up but I think the young players need the chance to prove their worth or lack thereof before we off their heads.  We also need to focus for the draft and free agency on real needs instead of imagined ones.

Quote:Very fair question.  I certainly don't intend to pimp for PFF.  My reason is frustration with the unfair and inaccurate criticism the offensive line has been getting as individuals.  As a unit I thought it looked really bad but after reading Alfie's article on BCC tonight even that presumption on my part was pretty much wrong.  Several of us have been using PFF stats (or metrics if you want a sexier name) to try to point out that.  In each article or posting that looks at these kinds of issues there are a bunch of posts that say the numbers are "suspect" or made up etc.   So I thought I would post how they get their numbers so maybe their analysis could get a little more credibility on the MB.  Every team in the NFL buys a much more sophisticated version of this stuff from PFF than what we can get as individuals.

I got into PFF because I wanted some answers as to why we had to endure another rotten, heartbreaking season after having already endured so many.  I was also ready to sign up with the pitchforks and torches crew, I just wanted to go after the right culprits.

We discarded Reggie Nelson who is 21st of 88 safeties while Josh Evans is 85th of 88.  We discarded Justin Forsett who is now 6th of 57 running backs.  Both sure could have helped this year.  We certainly need to fix some things with this team with the record they put up but I think the young players need the chance to prove their worth or lack thereof before we off their heads.  We also need to focus for the draft and free agency on real needs instead of imagined ones.

Reggie Nelson and Justin Forsett wouldn't have ever achieved those results here in Jax due to scheme and other problems.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Good response, Newbie.  That's another amusing trait of our Jags and dear fans.  As opposite to amazing as we have been the past decade, we turn our nose up on players faster than you can say modis.  Residual conceit from days of glory long gone.

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Reggie Nelson and Justin Forsett wouldn't have ever achieved those results here in Jax due to scheme and other problems.

In fact Justin Forsett was not even supposed to be a starter. He was pressed into service when the Ravens cut Ray Rice. Gary Kubiak was his head coach in Houston, so it is no surprise he plays so well in Baltimore.

Many former Jaguars are playing better now than they did in Jacksonville. That does not mean we should get them back. It means they were not good fits with our coaches and playbooks.

Quote:In fact Justin Forsett was not even supposed to be a starter. He was pressed into service when the Ravens cut Ray Rice. Gary Kubiak was his head coach in Houston, so it is no surprise he plays so well in Baltimore.

Many former Jaguars are playing better now than they did in Jacksonville. That does not mean we should get them back. It means they were not good fits with our coaches and playbooks.
Nah it just means our coaches can't coach worth a crap.

Quote:Nah it just means our coaches can't coach worth a crap.

It is not just the coaches. Scheme and teammates are important too.

Byron Leftwich, Superbowl Champion

Tom Coughlin, Multiple Superbowl Champion

Daryl Smith, In race for championship title

Eugene Monroe, In race for championship title

Jeremy Mincey, In race for championship title

Terrance Knighton, In race for championship title

Justin Forsett (though not home grown), In race for championship title

Mike Smith, Turned Falcons around into championship caliber till the gray hairs surfaced

Rashean Mathis, just got ousted in race for championship last week, says he'll continue playing

Reggie freaking Nelson, just got ousted in race for championship last week (cornerstone of top AFC D)

Will Rackley, In race for championship title (Backup, but hey, he's in the team and contributes)

Jack Del Rio, In continuous race for championship titles to add to his existing ring (I know, credit Jughead, but...)

These are right off the top of my head.  Certainly, the list can be expounded upon

What do they all have in common?  They got ran out of Jacksonville.  Look at them now.

But, but, but, we have no talent

Curiously, once you head out of da Ville, your talents begin to resurface, both for coaches and players

But, we are not the problem.  It's the water from that peaceful St. Johns River

Quote:Byron Leftwich, Superbowl Champion

Tom Coughlin, Multiple Superbowl Champion

Daryl Smith, In race for championship title

Eugene Monroe, In race for championship title

Jeremy Mincey, In race for championship title

Terrance Knighton, In race for championship title

Justin Forsett (though not home grown), In race for championship title

Mike Smith, Turned Falcons around into championship caliber till the gray hairs surfaced

Rashean Mathis, just got ousted in race for championship last week, says he'll continue playing

Reggie freaking Nelson, just got ousted in race for championship last week (cornerstone of top AFC D)

Will Rackley, In race for championship title (Backup, but hey, he's in the team and contributes)

Jack Del Rio, In continuous race for championship titles to add to his existing ring (I know, credit Jughead, but...)

These are right off the top of my head.  Certainly, the list can be expounded upon

What do they all have in common?  They got ran out of Jacksonville.  Look at them now.

But, but, but, we have no talent

Curiously, once you head out of da Ville, your talents begin to resurface, both for coaches and players

But, we are not the problem.  It's the water from that peaceful St. Johns River

Byron Leftwich was a backup player on a Super Bowl Champion.  

Jeremy Mincey couldn't get to meetings on time here.  What were the Jags supposed to do? 

Eugene Monroe was demanding a huge contract.  We weren't going to pay him what he was demanding.  I've heard that he's underplayed his contract in Baltimore. 

Mike Smith was not run out of here.  He was offered a head coaching job in Atlanta. 

Rashean Mathis was so old, the Jags correctly figured he would not last until the time we became a contender and would have to be replaced anyway. 

Why do you count Justin Forsett as "run out of Jacksonville?"  He was also run out of Seattle, wasn't he?

And besides, this happens to EVERY team.  Every successful free agent pickup, starter or backup, on every team in the NFL,  came from somewhere else.  What is your point here? 

Am I missing your point?  Because it sounds like you are saying we are unique in running successful players out of town. 

Quote:Byron Leftwich was a backup player on a Super Bowl Champion.  

Jeremy Mincey couldn't get to meetings on time here.  What were the Jags supposed to do? 

Eugene Monroe was demanding a huge contract.  We weren't going to pay him what he was demanding.  I've heard that he's underplayed his contract in Baltimore. 

Mike Smith was not run out of here.  He was offered a head coaching job in Atlanta. 

Rashean Mathis was so old, the Jags correctly figured he would not last until the time we became a contender and would have to be replaced anyway. 

Why do you count Justin Forsett as "run out of Jacksonville?"  He was also run out of Seattle, wasn't he?

And besides, this happens to EVERY team.  Every successful free agent pickup, starter or backup, on every team in the NFL,  came from somewhere else.  What is your point here? 

Am I missing your point?  Because it sounds like you are saying we are unique in running successful players out of town. 

You absolutely got my point, ytraM.  Only, I won't say we are unique - as acknowledged, it happens to every team - but proficient, in getting rid of our own.

You make good points but some facts are just that, facts. 

Byron Leftwich, Superbowl Champion.  Truly contributed to the success that year and looked marvellous against Washington in Primetime during Big Ben's absence.

Mincey appears to be doing the right things in Dallas and is considered a leader there.  Go figure.  Perhaps just maturity over time, as all of us exhibit?

We still don't know the real story behind the scenes for Monroe, do we?  Or was it established that he was making such demands, in-season? He's battled injuries there, and been away briefly but come this weekend, should be the starting LT in the Divisional Round of the Playoffs.  Underplayed, overplayed, he's their fixture.

Mike Smith faced his share of criticisms during Jack's era, along with the entire JDR regime.  We seemed to appreciate him more once he left and we realized how much he patched up a unit that wasn't overflowing with talent.

Mathis is aged indeed, but he's our own.  Detroit, a presently more successful franchise find him valuable as the vet to calm their youth at DB.  I agree the timing of his depature from Jacksonville was about right, but again, he was vilified often, moreso in the latter stages here. Though outsiders continued to praise his output.

Forsett was added to boost the list seeing he looks pretty good in Baltimore, just after leaving da Ville.  He's not our boy anyway, as stated.

Look, nitpicking players' games is what we all do as fans.  Part of the game.  My point is that all these currest post-Jag successes show that there are sizeable fundamental flaws within the walls of 1 Alltel Place (they maintained that address?).  It's seen in our game day output, our draft acquisitions, FAs in recent past (not the latest corps), etc.  There's just some sort of dark cloud that's been hanging over the franchise since that fateful 2nd half vs. titans in 2000, in spite of solid efforts to seek improvement (JDR teased with those playoffs appearances later in the decade; we knew we hadn't really arrived).  We are still seeking some semblance of identity, of continuity, of belief.  Time is our ally.

Quote:You absolutely got my point, ytraM.  Only, I won't say we are unique - as acknowledged, it happens to every team - but proficient, in getting rid of our own.

You make good points but some facts are just that, facts. 

Byron Leftwich, Superbowl Champion.  Truly contributed to the success that year and looked marvellous against Washington in Primetime during Big Ben's absence.

Mincey appears to be doing the right things in Dallas and is considered a leader there.  Go figure.  Perhaps just maturity over time, as all of us exhibit?

We still don't know the real story behind the scenes for Monroe, do we?  Or was it established that he was making such demands, in-season? He's battled injuries there, and been away briefly but come this weekend, should be the starting LT in the Divisional Round of the Playoffs.  Underplayed, overplayed, he's their fixture.

Mike Smith faced his share of criticisms during Jack's era, along with the entire JDR regime.  We seemed to appreciate him more once he left and we realized how much he patched up a unit that wasn't overflowing with talent.

Mathis is aged indeed, but he's our own.  Detroit, a presently more successful franchise find him valuable as the vet to calm their youth at DB.  I agree the timing of his depature from Jacksonville was about right, but again, he was vilified often, moreso in the latter stages here. Though outsiders continued to praise his output.

Forsett was added to boost the list seeing he looks pretty good in Baltimore, just after leaving da Ville.  He's not our boy anyway, as stated.

Look, nitpicking players' games is what we all do as fans.  Part of the game.  My point is that all these currest post-Jag successes show that there are sizeable fundamental flaws within the walls of 1 Alltel Place (they maintained that address?).  It's seen in our game day output, our draft acquisitions, FAs in recent past (not the latest corps), etc.  There's just some sort of dark cloud that's been hanging over the franchise since that fateful 2nd half vs. titans in 2000, in spite of solid efforts to seek improvement (JDR teased with those playoffs appearances later in the decade; we knew we hadn't really arrived).  We are still seeking some semblance of identity, of continuity, of belief.  Time is our ally.

At first glance, one would think there is some truth to what you are saying, if you are just talking about the entire history of the Jaguars.  Because the main characteristic of bad personnel management, besides bad drafting and making bad decisions on hiring free agents, is letting go of the wrong guys.   It just stands to reason: it's all part of bad management.   It stands to reason that a team making bad personnel decisions in one area is making bad personnel decisions in another area. 

Sounds reasonable.   On the other hand, when you say, "Only, I won't say we are unique - as acknowledged, it happens to every team - but proficient, in getting rid of our own." I think your analysis is incomplete. 

To make the point that we are particularly proficient, you would have to gather data from other teams as well.  I would wager that a lot of other teams let a lot of players go elsewhere and become starters or backups on better teams.   That happens all the time.   So we traded Eugene Monroe.   We picked up Sen'Derrick Marks.  Net gain?   How many players did other teams erroneously let go that we picked up?   Do other teams let as many productive players go as we do?   Can you make the same list for Tampa?   New England?   Dallas?  Cleveland? 

Besides, I don't think it is fair to smear the current regime with the mistakes of Gene Smith or Shack Harris.   Dave Caldwell has nothing to do with them.   So to say "we" are letting the wrong players go, because we let, say, Byron Leftwich go, is not a fair or useful analysis.  "We" didn't do that.   Someone who is no longer here did that. 

Just to make a list of players the Jaguars let go that went on to make the roster of other more successful teams doesn't carry the point that we are particularly bad about doing things like that.   You'd have to prove we are worse than other teams.  Don't do that.  It's way too much work.  

In summary, I just don't think you can draw any conclusion from your list.  

Pff looses credibility to me In the rankings. Stats are cool but if that's your criteria for rankings they're going to be flawed I don't care how accurate your stats are. Remember metrics is what said gabbert was all star with .002 more seconds of time In the pocket, reality was he sucked with 2 more seasons in the pocket. This ain't baseball
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Pff looses credibility to me In the rankings. Stats are cool but if that's your criteria for rankings they're going to be flawed I don't care how accurate your stats are. Remember metrics is what said gabbert was all star with .002 more seconds of time In the pocket, reality was he sucked with 2 more seasons in the pocket. This ain't baseball

I don't think that's what the metrics said.   As I recall, all it said was when Gabbert had a certain amount of more time in the pocket, he was a certain amount more successful.   It didn't say he would be an all star, or that someone else wouldn't also be better with more time in the pocket.  That interpretation was provided by some of our message board participants. 

ytraM, I like the caution 'don't do that, it's way too much work' ; ).  I take that to mean you can see me attempting to compile such info.  I wish mate.  I appreciate the academic take and indeed, I meant the entire history of the franchise, hence TC, Mike Smith, Byron etc.  Plus, I must admit I do purposely stir the pot in some instances as I opine.  Passion does that.  But to your point, personnel mismanagement is multifacated indeed.  Isn't it reasonable to say that based on our output recordwise, in recent history, we have fell short in this area?  Hence, proficiency, at losing which is the outcome of personnel and coaching issues + intangibles.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 11:05 AM by RicoTx.)

Dp
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM by RicoTx.)

Quote:Nah it just means our coaches can't coach worth a crap.
I guess that must mean Seattle, Indy, and Houston coaches all suck too. Hell, Seattle let Forsett go TWICE. They must REALLY suck.

Mark Brunell SuperBowl Champion

Kennan Mccardell Superbowl Champion

Quote:Mark Brunell SuperBowl Champion

Kennan Mccardell Superbowl Champion

I'm not sure what your post is even saying.

Oh...you forgot to add Leftwich.

Quote:I'm not sure what your post is even saying.

Oh...you forgot to add Leftwich.
Leftwich was on the list above he just forgot these two. Players move to other teams even as backups they win championships it doesnt mean we should have or should not have gotten rid of them.