Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags talking to OC Greg Roman

Quote:If I recall correctly a good chunk of the board wanted Roman as the Head Coach before Gus got hired.

You do remember correctly.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Funny how 1 season can alter opinions.

Quote:If I recall correctly a good chunk of the board wanted Roman as the Head Coach before Gus got hired.
The bottom line is, this board has no clue about NFL-level coaching and what it takes.  Makes threads like this comical.

I look at it this way.  The Jaguars will eventually hire a new OC.

Many on this board will immediately start threads complaining and predicting how bad the offense is going to be and how much of a "boneheaded move" it was.

Many on this board will immediately start threads saying that this was the most brilliant move ever and predicting playoffs/Super Bowl next season.

Some on this board will wait patiently to see how it all works out.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I look at it this way.  The Jaguars will eventually hire a new OC.

Many on this board will immediately start threads complaining and predicting how bad the offense is going to be and how much of a "boneheaded move" it was.

Many on this board will immediately start threads saying that this was the most brilliant move ever and predicting playoffs/Super Bowl next season.

Some on this board will wait patiently to see how it all works out.
Sign me up for the last group.

Quote:Sign me up for the last group.

Me as well.  I believe that this front office has a tad bit more experience when it comes to evaluating talent for any job involved with the team.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Fans opinions of coaches are unreliable at best, but 49er fans hate Roman more than Jags fans have hated any OC we've ever had. They put much of the blame on Roman for not winning a SB, and it's been reported that one of the reasons for the rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers FO is that he was loyal to Roman. I have no opinion on Roman personally - there's no way anybody who doesn't watch a team every week could form an opinion on an offensive scheme - but fan reviews aren't very good. 

Quote:Fans opinions of coaches are unreliable at best, but 49er fans hate Roman more than Jags fans have hated any OC we've ever had. They put much of the blame on Roman for not winning a SB, and it's been reported that one of the reasons for the rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers FO is that he was loyal to Roman. I have no opinion on Roman personally - there's no way anybody who doesn't watch a team every week could form an opinion on an offensive scheme - but fan reviews aren't very good. 
Yeah, I think this is true.  If you look at other teams like the Falcons or the 49er's who have been to the playoffs and lost, you can hear fans screaming about the coaching.  I know at this point I'd just like for my team to the get to that level.  I certainly wouldn't complain being in that position.  Although, fans are never satisfied.  If won the Super Bowl, I'm sure some would complain about that too.

Quote:Fans opinions of coaches are unreliable at best, but 49er fans hate Roman more than Jags fans have hated any OC we've ever had. They put much of the blame on Roman for not winning a SB, and it's been reported that one of the reasons for the rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers FO is that he was loyal to Roman. I have no opinion on Roman personally - there's no way anybody who doesn't watch a team every week could form an opinion on an offensive scheme - but fan reviews aren't very good. 

On the plus side his offenses have been quite productive by DVOA. 

2011: 18th (13th pass, 24th rush)

2012: 5th (5th pass, 3rd rush)

2013: 8th (4th pass, 14th rush)

2014: 16th (22nd pass, 8th rush)

Roman or Trestman would be significant upgrades over Fisch.

Wilson we are obviously not sure about, and I frankly don't want him learning on the job here.

I want someone that's done it before.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Trestman interviewing too.

I know I did and still do. This is setting up as the Cowboys situation where Phillips is the walking dead coach waiting to get pushed out by the oc Garrett. Bradley better hope for playoff contention next year or he'll be pushed out just alike.

Quote:That's why he's available in the first place.   If you want an experienced NFL OC, you have to take one that's been fired.  

Very wise post!

The 49er's struggles I think this year have alot to do with the media explosion that occurred around Harbaugh...  I still would be very happy with a Roman hire...  Tresman is also interviewing...

These 2 guys are I believe, the top tier of available OCs.  I hope we get one of them...

This team needs an experienced OC with a track record of developing QBs right now.  Kirby Wilson may end up being a great OC someday but the Jags need a proven OC given the current state of the franchise.

Quote:On the plus side his offenses have been quite productive by DVOA. 

2011: 18th (13th pass, 24th rush)

2012: 5th (5th pass, 3rd rush)

2013: 8th (4th pass, 14th rush)

2014: 16th (22nd pass, 8th rush)

We can only dream of having stats like that here and make it to the AFC Championship game 3 years in a row and complain about a coordinator, fans are gonna complain regardless Roman is a solid coach, got the most out of Alex Smith and Kap and helped develop Andrew Luck  

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 10:50 PM by TheSlinger.)

Quote:We can only dream of having stats like that here and make it to the AFC Championship game 3 years in a row and complain about a coordinator, fans are gonna complain regardless Roman is a solid coach, got the most out of Alex Smith and Kap and helped develop Andrew Luck  

He was a TE/OL coach at Stanford, had nothing to do with Luck. 

(There were some damn fine TEs and OLs in that time though). 

Roman would be my 2nd choice and a great hire.  Trestman is my number one choice, as if my choice matters.

I like Trestman because he comes with ton of experience. Roman which i don't know much about, but the one thing i know is he was at stanford with luck and harbaugh and went to 49ers with harbaugh and runs a west coast run heavy offense? that seems like a fit for us with robinson and gehart. Also he has worked with Alex smith and kapernick.

Quote:I like Trestman because he comes with ton of experience. Roman which i don't know much about, but the one thing i know is he was at stanford with luck and harbaugh and went to 49ers with harbaugh and runs a west coast run heavy offense? that seems like a fit for us with robinson and gehart. Also he has worked with Alex smith and kapernick.
I'd be happy with either one of these guys because, quite frankly, they are way better than the garbage that we've been subjected to around here since God knows when.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 11:11 PM by Chuckd.)

And in typical board fashion he's garbage after one season, even with a career to back it up.

Guy above has a point. You want an OC with OC experience, a great many have been fired as head coaches. The rest are up and coming position coaches or from the college ranks, and we all know how the board felt about that in the beginning, and then three games in.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>