Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Luke Joeckel compared to other highly touted tackles drafted in 2013/2014 per PFF

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM by jagforlife85.)

I just want to give context on how Luke Joeckel isn't the only highly touted tackle coming out of college that is struggling at the NFL level,  you won't see guys like Zach Martin or Joel Bitonio on this list because they play guard.

2013 Class

Round 1(1)Eric Fisher-72nd out of 84

Round 1(2) Luke Joeckel-ranked 67th out of 84

Round 1(4) Lane Johnson 13th out of 84 (btw Lane Johnson got noticeably bigger after the 2013 offseason, was later suspended for PED's)

Round 1(11) DJ Fluker 56th out of 84

Round 1(19) Justin Pugh 40th out of 84

Round 2(42) Menelik Watson 71st out of 84

2014 Class

Round 1(2) Greg Robinson 78th out of 84

Round 1(6) Jake Matthews 84 out of 84

Round 1(11) Taylor Lewan 30 out of 84

Round 1(19) Ja'Wuan James 79 out of 84

So there you have it, as you can see it's the norm for guys to struggle, it obviously takes time, reps, and added strength to adjust to the kind of pass rushers these tackles are seeing in the NFL. I'm not declaring LJ the next coming of Tony Boselli, he'll never be that, but it wouldn't surprise me if he turned into one of the better tackles in the league after an offseason where he can devote most of his time to getting stronger in the weight room.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This proves my point that Luke should take steroids

How many good tackles are even in the league?

Quote:How many good tackles are even in the league?

Depends on your definition of good.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:How many good tackles are even in the league?

Tyron Smith

Trent Williams

Jason Peters

Eugene Monroe

Joe Thomas

David Bakhtiari

Nate Solder

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Joe Staley

Russel Okung

who am I missing?

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Tyron Smith

Trent Williams

Jason Peters

Eugene Monroe

Joe Thomas

David Bakhtiari

Nate Solder

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Joe Staley

Russel Okung

who am I missing?
How many on that list would you consider to be in the "elite" variety? 2 maybe 3?

And I believe Monroe was neck and neck with Joeckel on the PFF ranking.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Tyron Smith

Trent Williams

Jason Peters

Eugene Monroe

Joe Thomas

David Bakhtiari

Nate Solder

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Joe Staley

Russel Okung

who am I missing?

Andrew Whitworth

Kelvin Beachum

Anthony Castonzo

Sebastian Volmer

Cordy Glenn

Just to name a few

Quote:How many on that list would you consider to be in the "elite" variety? 2 maybe 3?

The elite (imo) are Jason Peters, Whitworth, Joe Thomas, Duane Brown, Joe Staley, & Tyron SMith.

I didn't realize Matthews was ranked last out of all qualifying tackles.  I know he struggled but ouch...

It's not an easy position to learn.  Probably just as much of a learning curve as the QB position.  Joeckel needs to get stronger and he can become an alright tackle.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM by badger.)

Quote:How many on that list would you consider to be in the "elite" variety? 2 maybe 3?

They're all pretty good.  What is Monroe ranked?  If he is way down the list then I guess take him off.  I was only focusing on left tackles.  Take Monroe off and you still have quite a few guys who are considered at least 'good'.

Joeckel doesn't need to be "elite".  If he can get to the "he's alright" level, that would be progress.

Your questions was "how many good tackles are there?" which seemed to infer that there really aren't any.  There are many.

Quote:They're all pretty good.  What is Monroe ranked?  If he is way down the list then I guess take him off.

Everyones favorite tackle, Monroe is ranked 63rd

Monroe (when right) is an above average left tackle, not worth the money Baltimore is paying him.

Quote:They're all pretty good. What is Monroe ranked? If he is way down the list then I guess take him off. I was only focusing on left tackles. Take Monroe off and you still have quite a few guys who are considered at least 'good'.

Someone posted his rankings in another thread but he was one or two spots higher than Joeckel IIRC.

In comparison to one another an argument of 8 guys can be made to be elite. However if we go off of the standard idea of what we consider elite play in the league I can only count 3 guys Tyron, Joe Staley and Peters. 

Those are the only guys I see actually comparing to Ogden, Tony, Matt Light etc... 

Tackle play is just horrible right now. I wonder if there is a correlation between that and the down qb play as well?

Quote:In comparison to one another an argument of 8 guys can be made to be elite. However if we go off of the standard idea of what we consider elite play in the league I can only count 3 guys Tyron, Joe Staley and Peters. 

Those are the only guys I see actually comparing to Ogden, Tony, Matt Light etc... 

Tackle play is just horrible right now. I wonder if there is a correlation between that and the down qb play as well?

One theory is tackles these days have to pass block significantly more than they have in the past, while pass rushers are swapped out and kept fresh.  

Quote:In comparison to one another an argument of 8 guys can be made to be elite. However if we go off of the standard idea of what we consider elite play in the league I can only count 3 guys Tyron, Joe Staley and Peters. 

I think it's a combination of a couple of things, teams are throwing the ball more so there's more opportunities to get after the QB, and the pass rushers in today's NFL are getting freakier (athletically) every year, trying to block some of these athletes is almost impossible for anyone.

Quote:This proves my point that Luke should take steroids
Just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and say this...

I'd like to add, "and totally redeem yourself"!  But i can't.  Stupid comment.

I don't care about the rest of the leauge. I care about who is playing LT on this team. Bottomline, he needs to improve in the weight room. He's too weak up front and at the point of attack.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Just when i thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and say this...

I'd like to add, "and totally redeem yourself"!  But i can't.  Stupid comment.

even if he gets popped, it's only four games.  He comes back, boom yuknow?

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM by badger.)

Quote:Everyones favorite tackle, Monroe is ranked 63rd

What's funny is that if he still played for us, all the homers would just dismiss this ranking and say he's wonderful.  Now that he's on Baltimore, he sucks.

But the ranking iwii imo.  He is not playing well.  Still.... take him off my list and there's plenty of guys who play well.