Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles as a long term quarterback?

Well, I think he'll be pretty good and has a lot of potential.

I think he'll be a long-term starter at the position for Jax.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I want to hope he's the long term starter.  But let's be honest, any draft choice at any position is pretty much of a crapshoot.  He shows potential, but he also has some headscratcher moments.  But he's a rookie and still pretty inexperienced as a QB at any level.  At this point you just have to trust the evaluation skills of Caldwell that he will develop into that guy.  And the Gabbert comparisons are laughable. 

It would be incredibly stupid to give up on him at this point.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

13 starts is way to early to tell.  I'll know after 16 starts

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

I think his floor at this point looks something like Garrard and his ceiling is Brett Favre. He will be on this team for a long time even if he never becomes a super star. And even if he does get to elite QB status his gunslinger mentality will be frustrating sometimes. Overall He is fun to watch and I love how he elevates his play when it matters most.

I'm sensing a lot of anger in this thread.....

People have been hurt so much.... so much pain.... so much agony

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:You basically just recited the "bad words" used for quarterbacks. Care to elaborate?

He's the most obvious troll on this board

Blake's got lots of work to do, but he's shown some things worthy of optimism IMO. 

There's no way to know for certain, but I feel moderately confident that he'll prove to be a long-term starter.  

Quote:I don't think he will end up being long term. I think we use a first rounder on another qb in 3 years

With a user name like that, I am putting the over/under on your existence on this board at 2 days.

;

;

Quote:I'm sensing a lot of anger in this thread.....

People have been hurt so much.... so much pain.... so much agony
they give out free oxys when you sign up, so you're a liar. Tongue

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

IMO...............Year 3 will be the telltale sign on whether he is or not.

Quote:they give out free oxys when you sign up, so you're a liar. Tongue
Whoa, whoa, whoa, you got yours for free FBT made me pay
A good loser is a good loser

Blake Bortles showed a lot more than Blaine Gabbert did in three years.

Bortles seems to fit the part. If that Oline gets it together the. Our offense will improve drastically

I am appalled at how quickly people are to write this guy off already. Sure he didn't do as good as Carr but give the man a little time. Think about what the man had to work with coming into the season. Luck at least had Reggie Wayne and Jeff Saturday his rookie season if I recall correctly. 

The whole offense has some work to do but Blake showed some flashes. The main thing for him is to work on that footwork and with the young wide receivers!

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

While none of us know how BBs career as the Jags QB will end up, he gives us more hope then we have had around here in too many seasons.

The Jags absolutely had to take a QB in the 2014 draft, no way around it and BBs was the one they drafted.

We will all be able to look back on the 2014 draft in a few years and see who the best QB of the draft turned out to be.

There's a lot to work with as far as BB is concerned, so it will be up to the DM, and coaches, to surround him with enough talent, and the coaches to coach him up and put him in the best possible situations for him to be as successful a QB for the Jags as he can possibly be.

Of course Blake will have to work on and fix the issues he has with his footwork and probably a few other things to help him become a better QB, but I think he had a decent rookie season, except for the high number of INTs, which he did cut down on in the 2nd half of the season.

Just remember that Gabbert had a year where MJD led the NFL in rushing and all he could muster up for the Jags that season was a measly 5 wins. UGH!!!!!

Get BB a real threat RB, a decent 0-line and some WRs who rarely drop the ball and let's see what kind of QB he can be. A reliable TE would also be a huge help to a young QB.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

New guy here, but I think Bortles IS the long term answer. He's a big ben clone without the baggage.

[Image: thumbsup.gif]

[Image: mellow.png]

He's shown the right attitude, and sparks of ability to pull out big plays. But he really needs to mature and stop trying to force plays where there isn't one, which has resulted in many interceptions. He needs to learn that its better to throw the ball away rather than get sacked for a loss as a result of trying to 'extend plays'. And the toughest one of all, he needs to learn not to bail out of the pocket so quickly. Given that our o-line has been a turnstile most of the season which led to a record number of sacks (not all of them were due to the line, granted...) this won't be easy.

Still, if he has even a halfway decent line in front of him (which he didn't this season) and receivers who know the route to run and can catch the ball if it can be caught (too many of BB2's throws were really bad this season; not just off target, but wobbly, wild looking throws), then maybe, maybe he has a chance to survive here long enough to be our 'franchise quarterback'. 

On the other hand, if BB2 is forced due to poor blocking and pass catching to have to rely on his legs... he will get injured and become almost worthless as a starting QB.

The GM obviously has no control over who is available at what position come draft time each year. Too bad; it would've been better if we had first built up our line, then worry about getting a 'franchise quarterback'. Instead, we got the cart in front of the horse...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

He has the body of a faster Big Ben and the mentality of Favre. Can he put it all together? That's the question of the hour.

Quote:While none of us know how BBs career as the Jags QB will end up, he gives us more hope then we have had around here in too many seasons.

The Jags absolutely had to take a QB in the 2014 draft, no way around it and BBs was the one they drafted.

We will all be able to look back on the 2014 draft in a few years and see who the best QB of the draft turned out to be.

There's a lot to work with as far as BB is concerned, so it will be up to the DM, and coaches, to surround him with enough talent, and the coaches to coach him up and put him in the best possible situations for him to be as successful a QB for the Jags as he can possibly be.

Of course Blake will have to work on and fix the issues he has with his footwork and probably a few other things to help him become a better QB, but I think he had a decent rookie season, except for the high number of INTs, which he did cut down on in the 2nd half of the season.

Just remember that Gabbert had a year where MJD led the NFL in rushing and all he could muster up for the Jags that season was a measly 5 wins. UGH!!!!!

Get BB a real threat RB, a decent 0-line and some WRs who rarely drop the ball and let's see what kind of QB he can be. A reliable TE would also be a huge help to a young QB.

4 wins actually. McClown won 1 of those game .