Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles as a long term quarterback?

Quote:I love all these guys who should have given up that job delivering pizzas and pursued that dream of being NFL talent scouts.....

Straw man. Identifying talent does not require a PhD. Access to medical records and the mental makeup of said player would be helpful in the final evaluation. Other than that, yeah judging talent really isn't the calling of a harbinger.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Never was a fan of Bortles, I was so livid when we drafted the guy. Every time he dropped back this year I got nervous, you never knew if it was going to be a pick. In most cases its a dump off to a RB, a screen, or overthrowing open receivers. Next year we'll have a new OC so hopefully he can fix him.
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:4 wins actually. McClown won 1 of those game .

ooops, you're right, Gabby didn't start the season and only had the 4 wins on the year, even though MJD led the NFL in rushing.

It's hard to give Gabby too much credit for something.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Showed some promise, he probably played behind the worst line in the league and the running was inconsistent at best with no go-to targets with all the injuries.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:Never was a fan of Bortles, I was so livid when we drafted the guy. Every time he dropped back this year I got nervous, you never knew if it was going to be a pick. In most cases its a dump off to a RB, a screen, or overthrowing open receivers. Next year we'll have a new OC so hopefully he can fix him.
Who were you voting for?

Any other QB that we would have drafted would have remained in the fetal position after the 30th sack, or would have been broken like the rest of the rookie qbs were this year.

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:Who were you voting for?

Any other QB that we would have drafted would have remained in the fetal position after the 30th sack, or would have been broken like the rest of the rookie qbs were this year.
This.  Mettenberger was injured off and on like he was in college.  Carr and Bridgewater both missed games with injuries playing behind better offensive lines.  Carr has no wheels.  Probably would have been sacked 70 times behind this oline.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM by jg77.)

Quote:This.  Mettenberger was injured off and on like he was in college.  Carr and Bridgewater both missed games with injuries playing behind better offensive lines.  Carr has no wheels.  Probably would have been sacked 70 times behind this oline.

Bridgewater and Carr were both solid this year, let's not take anything away from them, I think they would've played well here also.  Our o-line was pretty bad, but I think the #'s are somewhat skewed from when Henne was starting. 

To answer the question, I think Bortles was subpar this year, but like most people saw, he much better than Gabbert.  He's definitely not as tentative.  I was surprised at how raw he seems to be though, I feel like if you're going to take someone at #3, they shouldn't be that raw.  Bortles has some surprising short throw accuracy issues.  Hopefully next year is better, but it kind of irks me to think we could've had a stud like Khalil Mack, and Bridgewater (if we traded back in like Minny did).  But that's all in hindsight, so it's a wash.  I'm just satisfied that Bortles showed more than Gabbert, but I'm not convinced he's our franchise QB, but I don't really think he'll bust either.

Quote:Bridgewater and Carr were both solid this year, let's not take anything away from them, I think they would've played well here also.  Our o-line was pretty bad, but I think the #'s are somewhat skewed from when Henne was starting. 

To answer the question, I think Bortles was subpar this year, but like most people see, much better than Gabbert.  He's definitely not as tentative.  I am surprised how raw he seems to be though, I feel like if you're going to take someone at #3, they shouldn't be as a raw.  Bortles has some surprising short throw accuracy issues.  Hopefully next year is better, but it kind of irks me to think we could've had a stud like Khalil Mack, and Bridgewater (if we traded back in like Minny did).  But that's all in hindsight, so it's a wash.  I'm just Bortles showed more than Gabbert, but I'm not convinced he's our franchise QB, but I don't really think he'll bust either.
I was talking about their durability, not their performance on the field. I don't think either Bridgewater or Carr would have made it through the season behind our oline.

I think Blake will make it.Just surround him with better pieces.  The man surpassed the rookie passing yards record with the following:

A young o-line that's been reshuffled all year

A receiving corps that featured 3 (talented) rookies,a second year player that regressed, and an average veteran receiver

A fast tight end and a slow tight end that both can't catch consistently.

And a RB that is supposed to be a bruiser but can't even move the ball on 3rd and short. The other one actually makes people miss, but there's usually a free runner trying to take his head off in the backfield due to that 1st thing I mentioned 

Get a decent veteran to plug up the right side of that line (Right tackle) and replace Jacques McClenden. Draft a tight end in the early-mid rounds and get ready to get rid of Lewis in a few years and draft another RB.   

Check out my latest articles at http://www.jaguars101.com/

I am not entirely ready to write him off, but can you name the last QB that had such a bad TO to TD ratio that ended up being a true game changing franchise QB? I know someone had mentioned Aikmen...but he was, what, over 20 years ago?

Quote: 

How do you think Blake will be as the quarterback for the Jags? Kind of want your thoughts.

<div>[Image: thanks.gif]

</div>
To early to tell, I am not sure if he will ever be elite.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:I am not entirely ready to write him off, but can you name the last QB that had such a bad TO to TD ratio that ended up being a true game changing franchise QB? I know someone had mentioned Aikmen...but he was, what, over 20 years ago?
Probably the closest comparison in terms of situation. The cupboard was completely bare for both in their rookie seasons.  Unfortunately I don't see a pro bowl line, Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith walking through the door anytime soon.

Quote:I think Blake will make it.Just surround him with better pieces.  The man surpassed the rookie passing yards record with the following:

A young o-line that's been reshuffled all year

A receiving corps that featured 3 (talented) rookies,a second year player that regressed, and an average veteran receiver

A fast tight end and a slow tight end that both can't catch consistently.

And a RB that is supposed to be a bruiser but can't even move the ball on 3rd and short. The other one actually makes people miss, but there's usually a free runner trying to take his head off in the backfield due to that 1st thing I mentioned 

Get a decent veteran to plug up the right side of that line (Right tackle) and replace Jacques McClenden. Draft a tight end in the early-mid rounds and get ready to get rid of Lewis in a few years and draft another RB.   

He had similar numbers as carr and bridgewater with worse talent in addition to a bad offensive coordinator. So many people are fascinated with derek carr but he just like chad henne where he was king of the garbage time.  Instead of reading the stat line on espn watch the games and people would've saw that derek carr wasn't anything to Bragg about in my opinion. So you keep kalil mack and bridgewater and i'll keep bortles, allan robinson and telvin smith and watch i'll be the one right in 3 years. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Bridgewater and Carr were both solid this year, let's not take anything away from them, I think they would've played well here also.  Our o-line was pretty bad, but I think the #'s are somewhat skewed from when Henne was starting. 

To answer the question, I think Bortles was subpar this year, but like most people see, much better than Gabbert.  He's definitely not as tentative.  I am surprised how raw he seems to be though, I feel like if you're going to take someone at #3, they shouldn't be as a raw.  Bortles has some surprising short throw accuracy issues.  Hopefully next year is better, but it kind of irks me to think we could've had a stud like Khalil Mack, and Bridgewater (if we traded back in like Minny did).  But that's all in hindsight, so it's a wash.  I'm just Bortles showed more than Gabbert, but I'm not convinced he's our franchise QB, but I don't really think he'll bust either.
He had similar numbers as carr and bridgewater with worse talent in addition to a bad offensive coordinator. So many people are fascinated with derek carr but he just like chad henne where he was king of the garbage time.  Instead of reading the stat line on espn watch the games and people would've saw that derek carr wasn't anything to Bragg about in my opinion. So you keep kalil mack and bridgewater and i'll keep bortles, allan robinson and telvin smith and watch i'll be the one right in 3 years. 

KM91 my bad i didn't mean to quote you so i hope you forgive me. 

Give him a legitimate nfl offensive coordinator and pass protection, and I think he can be THE guy.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Give him a legitimate nfl offensive coordinator and pass protection, and I think he can be THE guy.

Bingo. Especially on the coordinator part.

Manage your expectations. Assuming all the pieces are there, I doubt Blake Bortles will ever be a top 3 QB but I do see him being a Philip Rivers/Joe Flacco kind of guy for us, A guy we can win a superbowl with but he won't win games by himself like manning/brady did.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:Manage your expectations. Assuming all the pieces are there, I doubt Blake Bortles will ever be a top 3 QB but I do see him being a Philip Rivers/Joe Flacco kind of guy for us, A guy we can win a superbowl with but he won't win games by himself like manning/brady did.

I'd take it. I think he has a high ceiling regardless, around where Ben R or Phillip Rivers currently are. We just need to finally get the offensive coordinator hire correct.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM by duece.)

Quote:Probably the closest comparison in terms of situation. The cupboard was completely bare for both in their rookie seasons. Unfortunately I don't see a pro bowl line, Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith walking through the door anytime soon.
This is what worries me most. With all the changes in today's game to make offenses and QBs much more high powered and the best example of a QB performing like BB and becoming a true franchise guy is over 20 years old from a completely different era of the game.

I hope for the sake of the team and us fans that he comes out like gang busters next year and develops into a top 5 QB, but history is not on his side.