Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles as a long term quarterback?

Quote:This is what worries me most. With all the changes in today's game to make offenses and QBs much more high powered and the best example of a QB performing like BB and becoming a true franchise guy is over 20 years old from a completely different era of the game.

I hope for the sake of the team and us fans that he comes out like gang busters next year and develops into a top 5 QB, but history is not on his side.

History is never on any qbs side. Many franchises have gone through multiple qbs until they have the guy. Then he gets old and the search starts all over again. If he is the one then we won't have to look for another 14 years. If not we draft another one in the next 2-3 and try again. Its just a part of the game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Bortles will be fine, but if he does bust, it doesn't set this franchise back significantly with the way the salary cap is structured for rookie deals.  Not like it would have prior to the new CBA. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I wouldn't count him out. Some of the all time greats took awhile to get their footing in the NFL. Not saying Bortles will go that way without a doubt, just saying that it's possible.

Quote:This is what worries me most. With all the changes in today's game to make offenses and QBs much more high powered and the best example of a QB performing like BB and becoming a true franchise guy is over 20 years old from a completely different era of the game.

I hope for the sake of the team and us fans that he comes out like gang busters next year and develops into a top 5 QB, but history is not on his side.

What about Matt Stafford?

;

;

Why would anyone be trying to judge Blake Bortles - a guy who was drafted with the clear and explicit understanding that he would not be ready to play in his rookie season for the fact that he appears not to have been entirely ready to play in his rookie season?

Although I would expect BB5 to be better in year 2, time to face reality - we're not a playoff team next year.  He's going to take 3-4 years to grow and mature as a QB; better to just enjoy the ride and watch him grow than develop unrealistic expectations for year 2. 

Quote:Why would anyone be trying to judge Blake Bortles - a guy who was drafted with the clear and explicit understanding that he would not be ready to play in his rookie season for the fact that he appears not to have been entirely ready to play in his rookie season?

For being as raw of any prospect in his draft class I think the expectations are tempered. A new OC will pave way for more delays in his development too.

Will he be the guy? Time will tell but the rubber has to meet the road in years 2 and 3. He's the 3rd overall pick. If he becomes a low end starter he can be a bust.

12 QBS hit 4000 yards this season, Montana and Elway had a combined total of one such season. Do we take such a season to signal we have our franchise guy or another sign we are still behind the times?

Quote:Why would anyone be trying to judge Blake Bortles - a guy who was drafted with the clear and explicit understanding that he would not be ready to play in his rookie season for the fact that he appears not to have been entirely ready to play in his rookie season?

That's pretty much where I am right now. I can't help but think it's patently unfair to presume to know how his career will unfold. There are simply too many variables at work right now to make an accurate assessment of his ability (or lack thereof) to be "the guy." I mean, I know some people are quick to break out the acetylene torches but are we really having this discussion now?

The mitigating factors alone warrant a TBD on Blake imo.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

i may b biased but when i had firsrtm oved to orlando i had season tix to UCF when it was blake's freshman year. they had that sorry (butt) boy godfrey on QB. when blake came in late in the games for clean up or whatever i told my boy idk why ya'll dont play this man he's way better than godfrey (which wasnt a stretch). but the man could actually hit the outroute u know what im saying with touch on the ball. [Image: sweat.gif]

but yea low and behold now here we are, had my little 15 minutes of gruden if you will young qb guru genius. [Image: thumbsup.gif]

anyhow, the kid has a nice throw but I wonder if the speed difference between the glorified Big East n the NFL will be his undoing. really i'd like to bring in another QB even if just to have someone working hard next to him cause u kno this man henne on his hennesmirkdrinkgatorade.gif crap

b/s. really we could trade down even a couple spots and grab an extra 3rd or 4th and use dat on a qb or somethin and not lose much value as far as first rounders go. 

Quote: 

How do you think Blake will be as the quarterback for the Jags? Kind of want your thoughts.

<div>[Image: thanks.gif]

</div>

I really think its too early to tell, because the Oline was absolutely horrible this season.  He had all rookie WRs, and now has a new OC coming into town.  If it wasnt for the veteran Chad Henne going into his 2nd year with Fisch's playbook failing and getting sacked more than any other QB in the NFL at week 3... I would seriously question Blake but since that did happen & the oline got revamped with less experinced individuals as the season progressed it made me wonder how much Blake's performance masked how truly bad the Oline was.... and how inexperinced the rookie WRs were....

All the excuses start to go away in season 2... he'll have much to prove and improve...

At this point I think their cause to be hopeful that he could progress into a franchise QB.

Sounds like the same argument made for Blaine Gabbert in his 2nd year though... just saying...

I think Blake Bortles is a lot better than Blaine Gabbert....

Time will tell...

Quote:What about Matt Stafford?
He looked really good during the playoff game its a team sport though, one guy cant do it all..

Quote:Although I would expect BB5 to be better in year 2, time to face reality - we're not a playoff team next year.  He's going to take 3-4 years to grow and mature as a QB; better to just enjoy the ride and watch him grow than develop unrealistic expectations for year 2. 

Most fans are tired of waiting.  I wish they wouldve hired Andy Reid he turned the Cheifs around in his first year.

This 3rd year of Gus Bradley has to be more than 3 or 4 wins.  I dont see him staying as the Head Coach if we see another season of failure (and I am a huge supporter of Gus but facts are facts winning equals results of success).

Quote:He looked really good during the playoff game its a team sport though, one guy cant do it all..
I thought Stafford was on point all game. Dude is still only 26 and if it wasn't for some REALLY bad officiating, Lions would have won that game.

Quote:I thought Stafford was on point all game. Dude is still only 26 and if it wasn't for some REALLY bad officiating, Lions would have won that game.
you always gotta be careful though i don't trust the megatron effect either

i think we have some good young recievers but they aint no megatron

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

Quote:Sounds like the same argument made for Blaine Gabbert in his 2nd year though... just saying...
Gabbert wasn't a clear-cut developmental, not-ready-to-play pick in the way Bortles is. He wasn't intended to start, and he was thrown into a [BLEEP] situation when he did, but that's miles away from what was said about Bortles both before and after he was drafted.

Players play its what they do.  If you take a guy in the 1st round you usually expect him to make an immediate impact on the team (and start right away).

I dont think QBs learn from the bench, especially not behind Chad Henne.

Quote:Players play its what they do.  If you take a guy in the 1st round you usually expect him to make an immediate impact on the team (and start right away).

I dont think QBs learn from the bench, especially not behind Chad Henne.
While the Chad Henne bit is true, I don't exactly think Brett Favre did a lot of tutoring with Aaron Rodgers either.[Image: sweat.gif]

I think having a couple years getting used to the speed without the pressure of performing right away isn't a terrible thing.

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

Quote:Players play its what they do.  If you take a guy in the 1st round you usually expect him to make an immediate impact on the team (and start right away).
Not in this case. And that was made very clear at the time.

You might prefer to take a mediocre player who's ready to start now over a great one who needs to mature for a year before they can contribute; not everyone will agree with this. Of course, there's a higher risk to that approach, but it gives you much more access to high talent players if it comes off.

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:I think his floor at this point looks something like Garrard and his ceiling is Brett Favre. He will be on this team for a long time even if he never becomes a super star. And even if he does get to elite QB status his gunslinger mentality will be frustrating sometimes. Overall He is fun to watch and I love how he elevates his play when it matters most.
At this point it's really kind'a hard to tell if BB2 will be 'da man' or a bust. He certainly has 'positives' going for him;

*he's very mobile and not afraid to tuck the ball and run,

*he has the ability to 'extend' plays and turn nothing into something, and

*I think that when not confined by conservative play calling he's not afraid to take risk and go down field.

The flip side of that coin is that;

*running quarterbacks in the NFL tend to end up injured quarterbacks. 

*he 'bails' out of the pocket too quickly at times and for no reason

*his throwing accuracy is particularly bad at times. This might be a by-product of the 'bad footwork' so often mentioned on here.

*in trying to 'extend' plays he too often gets sacked! He needs to learn to throw the ball away rather than an interception or sack for a loss.

*while a 'gunslinger' mentality is entertaining, it's also a recipe for lots of interceptions. He needs to dramatically improve his passing accuracy if he is going to go the 'gunslinger' route or he will quickly be on 'boot hill'.

But I digress... at present it's hard to say about Bortles because our o-line is just ... a.(really bad), b.(very inexperienced), or c.(both). We suffered an outrageous amount of sacks this season and, while it can be truthfully said that some of those sacks were indeed Bortles own fault, the lion's share of responsibility for those sacks were on the o-line. Earlier on in the season, our rookie receivers were obviously not confident in running their routes and it reflected in getting little or no separation most of the time. At some point not long after he became the starting QB, the play calling clearly became more conservative. The net result was that other teams no longer respected the down field play from us and stacked the line. The result is reflected in our 3-13 record. Plus now we have to consider that our whole offense is back at square one with Fisch gone. This isn't the ideal situation for a struggling rookie quarterback. We've seen this before and the possible results with blaine (he who shall not be named).

So is Bortles the answer? We're going to have to wait until our o-line gets patched up to at least a respectable level before we'll be able to honestly see if BB2 is the long term answer. Until then, just hope he works on his footwork and throwing accuracy.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...