Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles as a long term quarterback?

I think that was made true in drafting Aaron Colvin, a huge risk vs reward knowing he might not play at all this season nor ever be the same after his injury.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well, what do we know about Bortles after 13.5 games?  He started out being really careless with his throws.  The pick-6's were getting old fast.  So he really cleaned that up, and had a very respectable INT ratio in the last half of the season.  Did he look tentative for a while there?  Yes, it's a natural part of developing the decision-making process.  But he didn't lose his aggressive nature.  If he can continue in 2015 with low turnovers, the Jags offense will be in much better position to win games. 

What else?  He showed he's durable.  That's a big deal for a franchise QB.  He also showed he knows how to move around and avoid the more serious shots a more stationary QB often takes.  He can protect himself at the end of runs and runs smart.  He's really athletic for a guy his size.  He's also a low-key kind of guy who seems like it's not too big for him, he will put in the hours required to elevate his game, and grow within this offense and team.  I think the footwork and mechanics are fixable and we should see a lot of improvement in year 2. 

So yeah, he's the guy.  Gabbert had some difficult circumstances and never really rose above it.  Bortles has had maybe the youngest supporting cast of any rookie in history, but in many ways he has risen above it.  I do think the Jags need to develop another young QB, not to put pressure on Bortles; i just think that method is better than signing mid-level vets like Henne or any of the other "names" who have started for other teams with marginal success.  Besides, you never know who will be the next Tom Brady, a low-round pick that hits the jackpot.

Quote:What else?  He showed he's durable.  That's a big deal for a franchise QB.  He also showed he knows how to move around and avoid the more serious shots a more stationary QB often takes.  He can protect himself at the end of runs and runs smart.  He's really athletic for a guy his size.  He's also a low-key kind of guy who seems like it's not too big for him, he will put in the hours required to elevate his game, and grow within this offense and team.  I think the footwork and mechanics are fixable and we should see a lot of improvement in year 2. 

Bortles is durable and we've seen that from season 1.  Hopefully he'll never take as many hits as he did year 1 over any two year span in his career.  Some of the couple big hits that Blake took (blind and unblocked) took would have earned an IR spot for Carr or Bridgewater.

Quote:Give him a legitimate nfl offensive coordinator and pass protection, and I think he can be THE guy.
Heck... I'd settle for just pass protection.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM by duece.)

Quote:What about Matt Stafford?

Stafford went 15 TDs vs 21 TOs in 10 games started...over 13 games started he would have been approx 20 and 26. More TDs and more INTs...but is a good example...and he can be a top 10 QB when he is "on".

He also had a 53% completion rate and a passer rating of 61.

;

;

Quote:Stafford went 15 TDs vs 21 TOs in 10 games started...over 13 games started he would have been approx 20 and 26. More TDs and more INTs...but is a good example...and he can be a top 10 QB when he is "on".

Not sure if mentioned already in this thread or,not but at beginning of Dallas game they put up a stat that amazed me, unless I read it wrong. The stat was for his career Stafford was 0-17 against teams with a winning record on the road.

never got the hype with blake, his stock just kinda jumped outta NOWHERE, wasnt a highly regarded qb coming out of high school( although im not sure of that).... i still dont know what bortles does well... he seemed to be regressing as each game passed.. 

Quote:never got the hype with blake, his stock just kinda jumped outta NOWHERE, wasnt a highly regarded qb coming out of high school( although im not sure of that).... i still dont know what bortles does well... he seemed to be regressing as each game passed.. 
I'm confused by your username

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Ha, I had to reread that a few times too, Vino.  Perhaps he meant to add a question mark after his name...like BortlestheMan?  Or, an attempt at sarchasm.

I like Blake a lot and feel he can be a long term fixture and excel.  Not sure we've had as comfortable an intermediate to deep ball passer in the franchise.  As the line settles, and the ground game gets functionally addressed - pieces are there at RB but due to Gerhart's opening day wahala it became jigsawed - he'll be fine.  I like his fearlessness and exuberance.  He's confident, scrambles well, will gain better pocket awareness but can withstand pressure and make throws under duress, and on the run. 

Fundamentals, as the word implies are first steps.  It's quite challenging to relearn how to walk (differently) but he'll have a go at it.  Over time, when in trouble, he may revert to some of his natural tendencies, but his overall game should absorb those lapses.  With Lewis, Shorts and Gerhart absent and underwhelming, the kid had no safety blanket to help him in his first outing.  That's tough, not having a savvy vet at wideout or a stable back to toss it to on the back end that can give you 4 to 6.  He not only had to handle opposing Ds, but help stabilize his unit and direct his rookie receiving corps.  All while running for his life. 

If the right fixes are made on O, the ease with which he makes those 35+ yarders is going to untangle a lot of fronts the Jags face, boosting the ground game.  Ala Brunell Smooth Fred.  

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote: 

How do you think Blake will be as the quarterback for the Jags? Kind of want your thoughts.

<div>[Image: thanks.gif]

</div>

He'll be fine. Just need a veteran OC to scale back his workload a bit. And Caldwell just needs to continue to add weapons around him so it makes his job even easier to develop into that franchise QB.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Stafford went 15 TDs vs 21 TOs in 10 games started...over 13 games started he would have been approx 20 and 26. More TDs and more INTs...but is a good example...and he can be a top 10 QB when he is "on".
and he had Calvin Johnson

Quote:Bortles is durable and we've seen that from season 1.  Hopefully he'll never take as many hits as he did year 1 over any two year span in his career.  Some of the couple big hits that Blake took (blind and unblocked) took would have earned an IR spot for Carr or Bridgewater.

I literally closed my eyes when I saw he was about to get blind-sided by that guy from Tennessee on Thursday night football. After his Oline left him there to scrape himself up off the ground, he didn't even miss a play. That's the time where I decided the dude was a legit tough guy.

Gabbert might have broken on a hit like that. I don't think I ever saw him take a shot so hard where I was afraid to watch.

Bortles was placed into the worst case scenario. Most of the offense is as green as he is, oc, no real oline coach, inexperienced qb coach at the NFL level, etc. I see 2015 as his true rookie year. 2014 was just some weird mess that he had to trudge through.

The truth is nobody knows for sure 100% if he is a franchise qb. He has potential but has to prove it. I guess we will see what next Year brings
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The truth is nobody knows for sure 100% if he is a franchise qb. He has potential but has to prove it. I guess we will see what next Year brings
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote: 

How do you think Blake will be as the quarterback for the Jags? Kind of want your thoughts.

<div>[Image: thanks.gif]

</div>

I really dont see him as Blaine Gabbert 2.0, but he needs a really good OC to work with in order to be successful as a Jaguar.

I think he could one day be as good as Big Ben (as many had compared him to) but he needs the right peices around him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...son-no-6-2

He's a rookie QB what do you expect but a learning process?

I would rather have a QB that had the guts to change the play and throw it up there and fail then to never try at all...

I think we should add a TE in free agency and even draft one after the 3rd round. Lewis plus two more quality options at TE gives Blake some good bailout options.