Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Keep Gene Smith out of our FA in 2015

Quote:lolwut?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/9/38...-cap-space
Maybe it was just a bad dream or too many drinks lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Maybe it was just a bad dream or too many drinks lol
Probably the latter. Go sleep off your hangover lol

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015, 03:31 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:This is so wrong. The Jags have been way under the cap since before Gene Smith became GM. He made some questionable decisions handing out grossly inflated contracts to a few players (Marcedes, Mike Thomas, Poz) but never spent close to the cap, much less over it.

Quote:lolwut?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/9/38...-cap-space

Quote:Gene had a lot of fault's, managing cap space sure wasn't one of them.
I still wouldnt say he did a very good job at managing the cap.  This is when Dave took over.

Jaguars salary cap: How is Jacksonville $17 million over the cap?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/8/3...er-the-cap

On top of that each contract were back loaded so if Dave didnt start making some of the cuts he did, each year would of been closer and closer to the cap.  Plus the dead money Gene already had accumulated (13 mill ) put us close to it, in another year or 2 would of probably been over it with the back loaded contracts without cuts.  Not to mention our record and lack of talent.  Yall might think Gene did a good job of managing the cap but I disagree

Quote:Yall might think Gene did a good job of managing the cap but I disagree
I don't think Gene did a good job of much of anything, but he didn't leave us in nearly as dire a cap situation as Coughlin did (the greatest failing of his tenure, imo).

I believe that the Jags could draft an ORT in Rd 3 and start him and be just fine. It is not absolutely necessary for the Jags to pay 6 to 7 Mil to fill the ORT spot. No need to draft an ORT before Rd 3, unless maybe you are Gene Smith are just plain football STOOPID!

Quote:I don't think Gene did a good job of much of anything, but he didn't leave us in nearly as dire a cap situation as Coughlin did (the greatest failing of his tenure, imo).
Well you just posted a link and said, lolwut?  After I just said Gene didnt do a good job at managing the cap space.  And now you say he did a good job of nothing lol.  Thats exactly what I just said.  I guess the other posters are the one that thought Gene wasnt bad at managing cap space then.  I just disagree,  Im with you,Gene didnt do a good job of much of anything.  He was just in over his head as a GM.

Quote:Well you just posted a link and said, lolwut?  After I just said Gene didnt do a good job at managing the cap space.  And now you say he did a good job of nothing lol.  Thats exactly what I just said.  I guess the other posters are the one that thought Gene wasnt bad at managing cap space then.  I just disagree,  Im with you,Gene didnt do a good job of much of anything.  He was just in over his head as a GM.
Couple of points:

1. Managing the cap doesn't just mean staying millions of dollars below it. It means utilizing the available cap space in such a way as to put a competitive team on the field. That was Gene Smith's failing regarding the cap. He had no issues keeping us well below it, but in keeping us so far below it, he failed to acquire the necessary talent to field a good team.

2. You'll get no argument from me that Gene was in over his head. That became apparent when he drafted Alualu at ten, amidst rumors that he thought the Dolphins would have taken him at twelve.

Quote:Couple of points:

1. Managing the cap doesn't just mean staying millions of dollars below it. It means utilizing the available cap space in such a way as to put a competitive team on the field. That was Gene Smith's failing regarding the cap. He had no issues keeping us well below it, but in keeping us so far below it, he failed to acquire the necessary talent to field a good team.

2. You'll get no argument from me that Gene was in over his head. That became apparent when he drafted Alualu at ten, amidst rumors that he thought the Dolphins would have taken him at twelve.
1. Agreed

2. Yes, especially when safety was our biggest need and the best player on the board was Earl Thomas and 90% of the Jags fans wanted Thomas.  He always thought he was smarter than everyone.

Curious as to how this got to be about cap space.  "Overpaying for mediocrity got us into this mess." Is what I said originally.

You asked about Poz, he is the 31st rated inside linebacker of the sixty that took enough snaps to be rated.  

Quote:Managing cap space was one of Genes worst as a GM. We were over the cap when Dave became GM. Every one of Gene's contract were back loaded which is to each year went by we got closer and closer to the cap, Not to mention all the horrible contracts he gave out to one season wonders at non premium positions. Outside of not being able to find talent in the draft is next wost asset was probably not being able to manage the cap space.
You really don't have a clue, do you?

This team has had one of the healthiest cap situations in the entire league since the days when Del Rio and Shack Harris were paired up. The roster purge in the final year under Coughlin's tenure really started that process. Paul Vance was masterful in never letting the cap become an issue again.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015, 06:26 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:You really don't have a clue, do you?

This team has had one of the healthiest cap situations in the entire league since the days when Del Rio and Shack Harris were paired up. The roster purge in the final year under Coughlin's tenure really started that process. Paul Vance was masterful in never letting the cap become an issue again.
I know about the cap hell we were in at the end of the Coughlin tenure. Nobody said nothing about the Shack Harris era. What does any of that half to do with the end of the Gene Smith era?

Quote:I know about the cap hell we were in at the end of the Coughlin tenure. Nobody said nothing about the Shack Harris era. What does any of that half to do with the end of the Gene Smith era?
Gosh. I don't know. Maybe because there were NO cap issues under Smith? Ya think that might have something to do with it?

You required historical perspective to emphasize just how utterly clueless you are.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Gosh. I don't know. Maybe because there were NO cap issues under Smith? Ya think that might have something to do with it?

You required historical perspective to emphasize just how utterly clueless you are.
Get some glasses old man, I posted the link, Khan said it himself.

Quote:Get some glasses old man, I posted the link, Khan said it himself.

And much like you, Khan has no historical perspective. Keep swinging, junior.

Quote:And much like you, Khan has no historical perspective. Keep swinging, junior.
So Khan is clueless too?

Since he has no historical perspective either right?

Coughlin took us to a 14-2 season in '99 with the spending.  We were favorites and if not for one mullet loving team may have even won the superbowl that year.  If we go to 2 afc championship games in 3 years forces us to break the cap then do it.  I will take a few years of success over 7 straight years of stinking.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:No offense but your looking at it from the "analytic" stuff, this isn't money ball. The reality is we just put together one of the WORSE offensive lines in damn near a decade. They gave up 70+ sacks this season, you can't just sit back and hope they get better over the offseason. That's a bet no one should be willing to wager. 

Forget PFF rankings and grades, it's just someone creating data on a spread sheet, when you watch the game it's painfully obvious the problem we have. Also you can't say with a straight face Joeckel is better then Monroe this year, so him being rated 63rd should just be a red flag on the argument you're building. 
To be fair, Paztor has been injured or out most of the year. I am not sure whether he is as big a part of the problem as it seems on the surface. On the other hand, I completely agree about Joeckel not being better than Monroe that really does make the rankings seem suspect.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Curious as to how this got to be about cap space.  "Overpaying for mediocrity got us into this mess." Is what I said originally.

You asked about Poz, he is the 31st rated inside linebacker of the sixty that took enough snaps to be rated.  
I believe this, Poz is vastly overated on this board this year.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Couple of points:

Then by your definition, Dave is even worse than Gene in this regard. You can call it his philosophy of rebuilding or what not, but he absolutely did not utilize available cap space to put a competitive team on the field. Which, is why your definition isn't really appropriate for "managing the cap"
. The fact that Dave was able to get below the cap so quick without letting go of key players means that Gene did manage the cap. If we are not able to keep guys that we want to keep then we have mismanaged the cap. See Michael Huygue (sp?) and the early Jaguar years. Our cap situation was so bad that the only way we were able to get out of it was due to an expansion draft, where we lost Boselli (no big loss since his injury proved to be pretty much career ending) and Seth Payne (who was a player we wanted to keep).

Gene's only good picks. Cecil Shorts & terrance knighton. 

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>