Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I want to put into perspective how bad the O line was with this alarming stat.

Blake Bortles in 2014 was sacked 55 times which is 16th all time in sacks for a quarterback, let's also keep in mind he only started 13 games! That stat blows my mind and makes me sick. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...season.htm

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Give bortles credit for keep getting up. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Easily could have been 70 or 75. He bailed that oline out so much this season.

And RIP david carr lol 76 sacks poor guy 

It wasn't all on the oline don't get that twisted
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote:Blake Bortles in 2014 was sacked 55 times which is 16th all time in sacks for a quarterback, let's also keep in mind he only started 13 games! That stat blows my mind and makes me sick. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...season.htm

And for anyone that wants to put it on the QB, Henne got sacked 16 times in 3 games which is even worse from an average standpoint.  The OL was clearly the weak point of the team this year.  They were monumentally bad from a pass protection standpoint although they played "ok" in the run game from time to time.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:And for anyone that wants to put it on the QB, Henne got sacked 16 times in 3 games which is even worse from an average standpoint.  The OL was clearly the weak point of the team this year.  They were monumentally bad from a pass protection standpoint although they played "ok" in the run game from time to time.
what he said...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

WHY DIDN'T THEY OPEN UP THE OFFENSE AND THROW IT DOWN FIELD MORE!?

WE WANT 7 STEP DROPS!!!

Check out some PFF stats and you will see that the offensive team rating is much worse than the sum of the individual player's scores.   Then check out the defense's team score and you will see that it is much better than the sum of the individual's scores.

What this tells me is that defense is playing as a team and that team is much better than the players add up to be.  That has to be scheme and coaching.  The offense is playing much worse than the sum of its individual scores so I have to believe that is also scheme and coaching.

With Dead Fish gone we need to give these young kids a break and see what they really are with NFL grade offensive coaching.  Also remember the offensive line coach has been out with cancer.  I totally agree with you on just how awful the offensive line play has been but I think we need to ease off on the kids and look to the coaching and scheme they were handed.

Quote:Check out some PFF stats and you will see that the offensive team rating is much worse than the sum of the individual player's scores.   Then check out the defense's team score and you will see that it is much better than the sum of the individual's scores.

What this tells me is that defense is playing as a team and that team is much better than the players add up to be.  That has to be scheme and coaching.  The offense is playing much worse than the sum of its individual scores so I have to believe that is also scheme and coaching.

With Dead Fish gone we need to give these young kids a break and see what they really are with NFL grade offensive coaching.  Also remember the offensive line coach has been out with cancer.  I totally agree with you on just how awful the offensive line play has been but I think we need to ease off on the kids and look to the coaching and scheme they were handed.

Something occurred to me the other day.  With Fisch getting a lot of the blame for the offensive line woes, I think we tend to underestimate the impact of George Yarno's absence.  Especially in a zone blocking (i.e. complex) scheme.  I'm not trying to make excuses for those guys but you would think having your "second string" coach at that position (in addition to all the youth) would have at least some negative impact.  How much so, who knows?

Quote:WHY DIDN'T THEY OPEN UP THE OFFENSE AND THROW IT DOWN FIELD MORE!?

WE WANT 7 STEP DROPS!!!

With the Jags o-line, maybe they should try some 17 step drops instead.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

The O-line needs time and competition. I expect them to be much better baring injury next season.

You can't win in this league with a bad oline. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

WE WANT 7 STEP DROPS!!!

U ok?

Quote:U ok?

Sarcasm

Quote:And for anyone that wants to put it on the QB, Henne got sacked 16 times in 3 games which is even worse from an average standpoint.  The OL was clearly the weak point of the team this year.  They were monumentally bad from a pass protection standpoint although they played "ok" in the run game from time to time.

The O-line was indeed bad.  So was the OC.  Both will be upgraded this offseason.  Goodnews for all us Jags fans!

Im thankful we shall upgrade this problem some how some way this off season. OC was one problem that should help alot of things out.

Quote:Im thankful we shall upgrade this problem some how some way this off season. OC was one problem that should help alot of things out.

I think expecting the new OC to make the offense significantly better is a lot like expecting Bortles starting to make the offense significantly better.  It doesn't hurt, but improving the offense is a complicated process that will require several shifts and changes and more player talent and experience.

Quote:I think expecting the new OC to make the offense significantly better is a lot like expecting Bortles starting to make the offense significantly better.  It doesn't hurt, but improving the offense is a complicated process that will require several shifts and changes and more player talent and experience.

And better coaching...  Thank goodness Gus recognized what alot of us also saw as a fundamental flaw.  Coaches are important.  Ketchman-itis mantras don't translate into the real world...

Coaches are important.  They just are.

WE WANT 7 STEP DROPS!!!

We went deep like 5 times all year