Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
OC Candidates

Quote:A defensive minded head coach and a run first OC. The Bills just went back to the 80's.
Well...at least to the 90s with Cowher in 1995 (OC Fairbanks) and Fisher.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well...at least to the 90s with Cowher in 1995 (OC Fairbanks) and Fisher.

And Seattle proves that being the hard counter to the paradigm does indeed work.

Everyone is trying to go all pass happy and it's good for fans who want high scoring games and lots of offense but I just don't see the game ever devolving to the point that a purely smashmouth team can't compete. The day that happens is likely the day I stop watching football.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:And Seattle proves that being the hard counter to the paradigm does indeed work.

Everyone is trying to go all pass happy and it's good for fans who want high scoring games and lots of offense but I just don't see the game ever devolving to the point that a purely smashmouth team can't compete. The day that happens is likely the day I stop watching football.
You need an all-time great defense in order to win a SB if you are really a smash mouth team. You also still need to be able to make key 3rd and long throws.  

TB, Baltimore and Seattle won SB's with a run first offense but they had all time great defenses. Teams still left right now.... Pats, Colts, Packers and Seattle. Of those teams left, 3 were in the top 10 of passing offense with Seattle at #27. 6 teams in the top 10 and 9 in the top 15 of passing yards made the post season.

Quote:Agree. You want to be the best then you pay the best when it comes to OCs and DCs.

The best coaches surround themselves with good coordinators in the area they are weak at. A good offensive HC will find a top tier DC and a good defensive coach like Bradley needs a top tier OC.

JDR was a shining example of that. Coached the D just fine but the offense floundered and he didnt find a quality OC once Smith left for atlanta.
Smith was a DC. 

Agree that Del Rio never hired a truly strong OC.  He actually hired a coordinator in Bill Musgrave who probably matched what he wanted from his offense as Musgrave was a Bill Walsh disciple in the West Coast Offense mold.  Then we drafted a guy who was a pure drop back pocket passer in Leftwich.  That was doomed to fail from the start. 

Carl Smith was better suited to being a position coach, which is where he is today in Seattle.  Dirk Koetter brought a lot of hope when he was hired. The problem with Koetter's offense was we didn't have the tools to run it.in the fashion he would have preferred.  The guy ran wide open offensive schemes in college at two different programs, but when he got to the NFL, we had a QB who struggled to read defenses and to pass with accuracy, and we had one of the top running back tandems in the game.  The Jaguars were exactly what Del Rio said they wouldn't be when he was hired, a running "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.  Koetter took the blame for the lackluster/mediocre offense, but that's the way the team was built during his tenure.

Hopefully Gus recognizes the need to go strong on this hire or his tenure is going to be a short one.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Smith was a DC. 

Agree that Del Rio never hired a truly strong OC.  He actually hired a coordinator in Bill Musgrave who probably matched what he wanted from his offense as Musgrave was a Bill Walsh disciple in the West Coast Offense mold.  Then we drafted a guy who was a pure drop back pocket passer in Leftwich.  That was doomed to fail from the start. 

Carl Smith was better suited to being a position coach, which is where he is today in Seattle.  Dirk Koetter brought a lot of hope when he was hired. The problem with Koetter's offense was we didn't have the tools to run it.in the fashion he would have preferred.  The guy ran wide open offensive schemes in college at two different programs, but when he got to the NFL, we had a QB who struggled to read defenses and to pass with accuracy, and we had one of the top running back tandems in the game.  The Jaguars were exactly what Del Rio said they wouldn't be when he was hired, a running "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.  Koetter took the blame for the lackluster/mediocre offense, but that's the way the team was built during his tenure.

Hopefully Gus recognizes the need to go strong on this hire or his tenure is going to be a short one.

To say nothing of the fact he never really had the receivers to run it the way the scheme should have been run.

Quote:And Seattle proves that being the hard counter to the paradigm does indeed work.

Agreed completely.

That Green Bay-Dallas game this weekend was good to watch.

It was reminiscent of an earlier era.

The Roman signing is a bit odd. Considering Trestman was heavily rumored to be following wherever Rex went
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The Roman signing is a bit odd. Considering Trestman was heavily rumored to be following wherever Rex went

Maybe Trestman isn't as high in demand as some people think he should be.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:With Kubiak staying with the Ravens, I fully expect that the Jags will interview Dennison sometime this week.

I still think he is the guy the Jags have been targeting.

This.

Runs a ZBS, former OC, and a QB coach? Seems perfect.

Also gave two current examples. What's your point. Trent Richardson is a first rounder who can't even sniff the field right now.

Quote:You give two examples from almost twenty years ago

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:The Roman signing is a bit odd. Considering Trestman was heavily rumored to be following wherever Rex went
That just tells you how little actual insight these guys in the media actually have.  They're throwing stuff at the wall hoping something sticks most of the time. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:That just tells you how little actual insight these guys in the media actually have. They're throwing stuff at the wall hoping something sticks most of the time.

very true.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Scott Frost is my guy.

spread them out and snap the ball !!!

Adam Gase is now available unless he gets a head coaching job.

Adam Gase, please.

Quote:Adam Gase, please.

Gase would be nice

Why would you want Adam Gase? Everyone knowsPeyton is his own OC.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2015, 07:49 PM by haveaseat.)

Gase only looks like a good option because of Peyton. Would be a terrible hire. If he was as good as some people believe then the Broncos wouldn't have let him walk and risk losing him.

Hell, Peyton gets to the line on almost every play and audibles. He's his own OC and Gase is reaping the benefits now. Some sucker team will pay him a lot.

Quote:Actually, Caldwell would need to answer that question.
Caldwell could be a package deal with Gus

how many different OCs have we had since Coughlin left?