Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
OC Candidates

Yesterday, Brandon Marshall speculates on what contributed to Trestman's demise as Bears' HC.

Quote: 

He said, too, that the Bears’ offense might have become too predictable, based on what plays they ran from which formations. Marshall said he anticipates Jay Cutler will return next year.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-footba...t-trestman

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:A good friend of mine in Chicago always blasted Trestman because he seemingly hated to run the ball. Dunno if that's a major cause for concern or not (or just bitter, old school fan syndrome), but something to be mindful of imo.

You have to have some balance in this league. I mean as a fan of course we would like to see the ball thrown 50 times a game but that's not going to be a realistic way to win football games. Even the teams with the best QBs in the league still try to run. Look at the Broncos, Pats, and Packers. That should've been a no brainer for Trestman considering he had one of the better running backs in the game and so-so QB play.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yesterday, Brandon Marshall speculates on what contributed to Trestman's demise as Bears' HC.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/244233/brandon-marshall-players-never-bought-trestman'>http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/244233/brandon-marshall-players-never-bought-trestman</a>

Wasn't that this message board's knock against Fisch?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

[quote name="Bullseye" post="407776" timestamp="1419972613"]

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/GM-Dave-Caldwell-Build-progressing-as-planned/ea688505-91ec-4cb8-8ce7-3b20b0a6591a'>http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/GM-Dave-Caldwell-Build-progressing-as-planned/ea688505-91ec-4cb8-8ce7-3b20b0a6591a</a>

Perhaps Oehser has more insight - but Caldwell left that up in the air a bit in the presser

Sounded like they were hopeful and open to his return - but nothing concrete. When asked "is there a point when you have to decide to hire someone?" - he said "no."

So I took it as they'll wait on him and stick with the interim guy until/if he's able to come back.

Quote:Wasn't that this message board's knock against Fisch?
That's ANY and EVERY Message Board's knock against ANY and EVERY coordinator whose offense does not put up 50 ppg.

I think it's a universal feeling to say that you can predict the offensive playcalling.  

Nobody really can (although they think they can) with any sort of consistency.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:That's ANY and EVERY Message Board's knock against ANY and EVERY coordinator whose offense does not put up 50 ppg.
I agree. You have to take OC talk on the board with a pound of salt.

It was always skewed - then Madden made everyone an expert.

Quote:Wasn't that this message board's knock against Fisch?

I'm doing a quick search on Trestman when Jedd was fired, and some of the stuff being written about him is that he finds huge success but it quickly goes away after a season or two. Some attribute it to predictability and defenses figuring out what they were doing. There was a quote when he was with Oakland after Gannon's MVP year, that during the SB, the Bucs knew exactly what they were going to run based on their formation and that's why they were able to stop them.

That said, its one of those things that you'll find an advocate for either way. How many times do we hear how Manning's Colts had their stretch plays as their bread-and-butter and defenses still can't stop them?

Quote: I'm doing a quick search on Trestman when Jedd was fired, and some of the stuff being written about him is that he finds huge success but it quickly goes away after a season or two. Some attribute it to predictability and defenses figuring out what they were doing. There was a quote when he was with Oakland after Gannon's MVP year, that during the SB, the Bucs knew exactly what they were going to run based on their formation and that's why they were able to stop them.

That said, its one of those things that you'll find an advocate for either way. How many times do we hear how Manning's Colts had their stretch plays as their bread-and-butter and defenses still can't stop them?

That's because Gruden coached the Raiders (and Trestman was there) the year before.

Gruden went from Oakland to Tampa.

He knew the offense backwards and forwards.

He knew the personnel.

Scott Frost from Oregon:

Coached by Bill Walsch and worked under Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich brings some of the Oregon style of innovation to the NFL, He's young and very smart and would fit well with Jags mindset and vision. 

Quote:Scott Frost from Oregon:

Coached by Bill Walsch and worked under Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich brings some of the Oregon style of innovation to the NFL, He's young and very smart and would fit well with Jags mindset and vision.
That's the kind of pedigree I want

Trestman or Roman please.  I hope they bring in their own offensive line coach AND a QB coach.  Sullivan can stay ofc.

Quote:That's because Gruden coached the Raiders (and Trestman was there) the year before.

Gruden went from Oakland to Tampa.

He knew the offense backwards and forwards.

He knew the personnel.

That is certainly a possibility. But that wasn't an isolated knock on Trestman. You had that one quote, the one by Marshall, and there was another I saw back in the days (his SF days, i think?)

Trestman is hands down the best option. Greg Roman makes my head hurt, dude had weapons everywhere with a running QB and did squat. Trestman is an OC and nothing more. Him and Gus would be a perfect compliment to each other.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Don't care about if somebody was Gus' drinking buddy, are they good?

Quote:Trestman or Roman please.  I hope they bring in their own offensive line coach AND a QB coach.  Sullivan can stay ofc.

Trestman would be a disaster. He doesn't call a balanced enough play book, and it seems like NFL Defenses are onto him as it is. I think he would be a downgrade, even as bad a Fisch was. 

Quote:Scott Frost from Oregon:

He's REALLY young. Gosh I remember when he was still doing the combine for the draft.

Roman or Tresmen 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Outside one, Greg Knapp? Qb coach for Broncos looked good with the falcons and made Schaub look decent when he was with the texans, failed with the raiders but because raiders?

Previous play calling experience, runs the Zbs, seemingly develops qbs to their strengths?

I'll throw a new name out there. Edgar Bennett . Great guy, hard worker, knows offense, and doing a fantastic job in GB