Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ryan O'Halloran tweet

Quote:I thought Marks and Clemons were "grade A" quality.

Marks turned out to be a really good signing but he was more of a take a chance signing. He wasn't paid like one. Clemons was paid like one, but he's mostly premier based on recognition. He is past his prime and coming off bad season due to injury.

I don't think we'll get one, but I do agree with the sentiment that for once it would be nice to nab a premier talent that is still in their prime.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't want a pass rushing DE.  We already have Clemons, Branch, Ryan Davis, and Chris Smith.  Davis and Smith are productive per play.  They are young backups who are going to play well for years.

Now at the other DE the Jaguars have Alualu and Bryant.  Bryant will be there next year, but Alualu's contract has expired.  The "perfect" solution to that would be to draft Williams.  Unfortunately, Tennessee drafts before the Jaguars and will probably draft Williams.

So the Jaguars may get a run-stopping DE in FA or may re-sign Alualu.

Quote:I don't want a pass rushing DE.  We already have Clemons, Branch, Ryan Davis, and Chris Smith.  Davis and Smith are productive per play.  They are young backups who are going to play well for years.

Now at the other DE the Jaguars have Alualu and Bryant.  Bryant will be there next year, but Alualu's contract has expired.  The "perfect" solution to that would be to draft Williams.  Unfortunately, Tennessee drafts before the Jaguars and will probably draft Williams.

So the Jaguars may get a run-stopping DE in FA or may re-sign Alualu.

This is nuts. If you have a chance to take a legit pass rusher (especially in their prime), you do it. Clemons isn't getting younger, and Branch/Davis/Smith are all rotation guys. Granted they all do a good job in our lightning package, but they are not every down guys.

Quote:This is nuts. If you have a chance to take a legit pass rusher (especially in their prime), you do it. Clemons isn't getting younger, and Branch/Davis/Smith are all rotation guys. Granted they all do a good job in our lightning package, but they are not every down guys.

I'm hoping/assuming his post was pure sarcasm.

Of note, CB Byron Maxwell and OLB Malcolm Smith both have expiring contracts and play for Seattle.  Two questions.  Do they get re-signed?  They may be salary cap casualties.  Do they get signed by the Jaguars if Seattle decides they cannot re-sign them under the cap?

Quote:Would love for the Jags to FINALLY get grade A talent in free Agency.  Over the years, we have seen "solid" guys whom have amounted to decent to complete trash.  I know most aren't sold on Juilius Thomas, but I think that's the type of TE we need.  Big, strong, fast, athletic, and can most of all catch TDs.  JPP is another one.  He could be that missing cog to having a defensive line like the Giants had a few years ago.  It just makes sense, if they have the money, and they want to compete, bring in the weapons.  I have faith in Caldwell, so lets hope he delivers.
Im one that is not totally sold on Julius Thomas. How you describe him, Im all for signing him but I still just get that feeling he wont work out. I cant honestly tell you why I feel this way tho. Im not going to say he is a product of Manning because I do believe JT has the skill....but again Im just nervous on this one for some reason(He also finished the season very poorly imo but he did start off hot)

As for JPP, I would love to see him come in here strong and I do have a better hope he would be a solid signing.

Quote:Of note, CB Byron Maxwell and OLB Malcolm Smith both have expiring contracts and play for Seattle. Two questions. Do they get re-signed? They may be salary cap casualties. Do they get signed by the Jaguars if Seattle decides they cannot re-sign them under the cap?

I want Byron Maxwel the dudes a turnover creating machine.

Quote:Sorry dude, they are good, but are old.  They aren't ELITE.  That's what we've been missing around here for a decade.
Marks had just finished his rookie contract with the Titans when the Jags signed him. He's only 27 now and he's been on the team 2 years, he wasn't old at all when he was signed.

Quote:Sorry dude, they are good, but are old.  They aren't ELITE.  That's what we've been missing around here for a decade.

Old? Marks is 27 now. How in the hell is that considered old?

I turned 27 yesterday... I dont feel old... But I dont play football Undecided

I also would be down with signing Maxwel.

Quote:While i'm optimistic that the team will spend money, there's just no telling HOW they'll spend that money. Keep in mind that the best of the best typically don't hit free-agency. And the few that does (for whatever reason), do they want to come to a 3 win team?
Money talks. The NFL is a business first, and a sport second. Of course they'll come and play for a 3 win team if we offer them a $10 Million dollar contract. That's the nature of Human greed.

Speaking on the topic of this thread, if Caldwell thinks he will be spending that money over 3 years, he's dreaming. If the team goes 4-12 or 3-13 again, he won't be seeing another season. I hope he realizes this and spends some money this offseason. I want to see the O-Line upgraded, a better RB, a TE, and some help in the secondary. The WR's are good, QB is alright for now, and the front 7 is good enough.

Quote:Speaking on the topic of this thread, if Caldwell thinks he will be spending that money over 3 years, he's dreaming. If the team goes 4-12 or 3-13 again, he won't be seeing another season. I hope he realizes this and spends some money this offseason. I want to see the O-Line upgraded, a better RB, a TE, and some help in the secondary. The WR's are good, QB is alright for now, and the front 7 is good enough.
I think that both Gus and Caldwell realize that 2015 is now do or die for this team and this rebuild.

They need to get a lot of guys this year in FA, spend some dang money jags.

Quote:Old? Marks is 27 now. How in the hell is that considered old?

I'm going to assume he was thinking about Bryant.

Quote:I think that both Gus and Caldwell realize that 2015 is now do or die for this team and this rebuild.

I think that was the plan all along. Year 3 is the expectation that this team makes the leap to the next level. We should be at a minimum, knocking on the door of the playoffs.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:They need to get a lot of guys this year in FA, spend some dang money jags.

Exactly. I'm out of this "save money for the next year" crap that they did the last two offseasons. What's the point of sitting on money? I don't want to spend money on crappy players, but the Jags could certainly get some depth players with the extra money. CJ Spiller would be a good RB I think.

Quote:Exactly. I'm out of this "save money for the next year" crap that they did the last two offseasons. What's the point of sitting on money? I don't want to spend money on crappy players, but the Jags could certainly get some depth players with the extra money. CJ Spiller would be a good RB I think.

Completely agree, we NEED a RB badly. I want big money spent on both sides of the ball.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 04:40 PM by BasshunterX.)

Bottom line here

The defense needs rookies behind the veterans (outside of a Vet FS).

The offense needs Veterans who know what they are doing.

Spend on offense, Draft on defense. Marc Trestman needs some quality meat to work with. Give him the best WR in F/A

Quote:Money talks. The NFL is a business first, and a sport second. Of course they'll come and play for a 3 win team if we offer them a $10 Million dollar contract. That's the nature of Human greed.

The NFL is the elite of the elite.  Yeah, the Zane Beadles of the world would be like "Visit? I don't need to visit. Where do I sign that contract?!?" But the JPPs? The Julius Thomas? These guys will get paid regardless of where they play. In most instances, these guys will cause bidding wars between teams.