Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st and goal at the 10

Potential game winning drive. 10 yards for the go-ahead score. 4 consecutive passes. This is where I believe the playcalling has been particularly atrocious; in the redzone.

Everyone in the stadium knew Houston would bring the heat. How about a QB draw? What happened to the read option? Quick screen to the RB? Catch the defense overpursuing. Bortles had completed less than 50% of his passes and the receivers couldn't catch a cold. Why lean on the offense's biggest weakness in the game's biggest moment? Those had to be 4 of the most predictable plays I could imagine.

I think Fisch will be retained, and I'm not keen on Bortles learning a new offense for the 2nd year in a row anyway. Point is, redzone playcalling needs to improve big time to make this offense more productive.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

FIRE FISCH!!

Play calling wasn't a problem on that final drive.  Execution was.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Cecil had one and dropped it. Naturally.

You don't run a screen in a goalline situation because there is no way to draw the linebackers away from the LOS. Learn some basic football strategy before you start double guessing the playcalling. 

Those calls were horrible, and the execution was worse. Those four plays summarized our season we had. A 34 yard run by Bortles, and then we came up short. Couldn't even get 10 yards. 

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Quote:Those calls were horrible, and the execution was worse. Those four plays summarized our season we had. A 34 yard run by Bortles, and then we came up short. Couldn't even get 10 yards. 
The calls were fine.  The execution was terrible. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bortles threw two bad passes that easily could have won (tied technically) the game.  

One to Shorts. One to Lewis.  I don't see the Fisch failure in that. 

Quote:The calls were fine.  The execution was terrible. 
So you would have called four consecutive passes? You would rely on a passing game that sucked the entire game when the game was on the line? Okay then...

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Quote:Bortles threw two bad passes that easily could have won (tied technically) the game.  

One to Shorts. One to Lewis.  I don't see the Fisch failure in that.

The first pass went right though Cecil's hands, actually. Jaguars should have won the game then and there.

Quote:The calls were fine.  The execution was terrible. 

Execution on drop back passes has been terrible all season. There's plays that have been run with some success consistently; read options and bootlegs among those.

Quote:So you would have called four consecutive passes? You would rely on a passing game that sucked the entire game when the game was on the line? Okay then...
I must have missed the part where we were gashing them with the run the entire game.  A couple of big runs in the open field for sure, but when you're on the goal line with the amount of time we had left, any of the plays they called could have won the game if properly executed.  On the throws to Lewis and Shorts, the QB missed his targets. 

Quote:So you would have called four consecutive passes? You would rely on a passing game that sucked the entire game when the game was on the line? Okay then...
Well, the number one and number two RBs were out with injury and Todman had limped off a few plays earlier obviously a little banged up. 

Bortles had two legit shots at open guys and missed. 

Its better that we lost. Its not like fisch had anything to lose. His job is solid for five more years at least

Quote:The first pass went right though Cecil's hands, actually. Jaguars should have won the game then and there.
That was the best pass of the lot.  The other two were not good passes. 

Quote:The first pass went right though Cecil's hands, actually. Jaguars should have won the game then and there.

I didn't get a good look at that one.  I was referring to the O.B. pass.  So a drop - and two bad throws.  

Obviously bad play calling.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was actually okay with the play calling, cause we weren't really running the ball and they were loading the box from the start, The only thing I wish we did do was a naked boot to the side that Watt wasn't on so it would be bortles running it in or passing it in.  I know if it was 1v1 bortles would have tried to just run it in if the guy wasn't open.

Also agreed about the cecil drop, so much sadness...

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:I must have missed the part where we were gashing them with the run the entire game.  A couple of big runs in the open field for sure, but when you're on the goal line with the amount of time we had left, any of the plays they called could have won the game if properly executed.  On the throws to Lewis and Shorts, the QB missed his targets. 
Did I say we were dominating them with the run game? No. I just wanted the calls to be less predictable. BTW, the first pass to Shorts was fine.

Quote:That was the best pass of the lot.  The other two were not good passes.

The one to Marcedes was a bad pass.

The last throw, Blake had a man in his grill, ready to flatten him. Not much he could do there.

All is moot if Cecil catches that first pass. The game should have ended. I realize it's part of the game: WRs drop passes. But playcalling nor Blake were the problems on that final drive. Jaguars should have won.

The last pass might have been good to ar15 or hurns, and it wasn't off by much at all. So be it. That's the game