Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st and goal at the 10

Quote:A check down is a last option play in order to get a few yards. Something out of nothing. A screen is a designed play. The only similarities between the two are the target and the distance of the pass. Other than that they are completely different and neither would have worked in this case. 

Yes I understand. I'm talking about a designed high-percentage pass play that would've allowed the ball carrier behind the Texans' line and in the middle of the field with a chance to make someone miss and get into the endzone. The receivers have actually been decent blocking. If failed, it would've at least kept the clock running to give Houston less time to work with, provided the Jags were able to get the score. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Not sure anything has changed.  I thought this for a while.

Agreed.  You can have this awesome lead guitarist but if your drummer is awful, your band is going to sound like garbage.
A composer is only as good as those who are executing the notes on the piece of paper. 

This is a young team that has a lot of growing to do. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The first pass went right though Cecil's hands, actually. Jaguars should have won the game then and there.
This. There shouldn't have been a second down.

Quote:A composer is only as good as those who are executing the notes on the piece of paper.

This is a young team that has a lot of growing to do.

So does the coaching staff. They need to grow as well. Theyre also new at this.

Quote:So does the coaching staff. They need to grow as well. Theyre also new at this.
I think the coaching staff is probably better than the results indicate.  We'll see soon enough. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Let's not kid ourselves, the majority of the people upset that we didn't score and win would've been upset because the game would've dropped us to about 6th in the draft. I'm sure a few threads would be made of a wasted win and how said draft pick was missed because of it, just like with luck. Then again, most are saying that about the Thursday game. It's a missed opportunity, playing I know better and all the intricacies is just unnecessary stress. As I saw in a tweet today, an assistant summed up the upcoming off-season for the jags saying 62 million. Looking forward to that and then not over a game most didn't even want us to win and expect us to the majority of the game

Execution is important, too bad we don't practice red zone plays sometime before Sundays during the season.

All I know is that we dont throw to the TE up the middle and teams leave the middle wide open for us on purpose.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

He tanked it for Amari!

Quote:Well, the number one and number two RBs were out with injury and Todman had limped off a few plays earlier obviously a little banged up.

Bortles had two legit shots at open guys and missed.

if gerhart had been in the game we might have tried but todman and storm are hardly powerbacks

Quote:Did I say we were dominating them with the run game? No. I just wanted the calls to be less predictable. BTW, the first pass to Shorts was fine.
So what was predictable about those calls?

That a team is passing the ball trailing with <1 minute left?

What were the route combinations?  What made them predictable under the circumstances?  Do the Jaguars usually run those patterns inside the ten?  Do those route combinations vary by coverage?  What about the protections?

Did you predict the pass from Shorts to Todman earlier in the game?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 10:44 AM by JAGFAN88.)

with a little over a min remaining and one TO the first play should have been a run if you dont score and get 5 yards you call the TO. then you have 3 shots at passes but not sure it would have mattered with the idiot fisch calling the plays.

Why a run, most of our TD inside the 10 are from runs not passes.

Quote:with a little over a min remaining and one TO the first play should have been a run if you dont score and get 5 yards you call the TO. then you have 3 shots at passes but not sure it would have mattered with the idiot fisch calling the plays.

Why a run, most of our TD inside the 10 are from runs not passes.
i would agree with this if

1) todman or johnson were power backs

2) we had been running the ball well... todman had a good run but that was from watt playing the pass and leaving a gap

3) if on our only run up the gut gerhart hadn't been hit 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage

odds on our run wouldn't have got us 5 yards but would have been stuffed at the line

Quote:if gerhart had been in the game we might have tried but todman and storm are hardly powerbacks
Exactly.

Quote:i would agree with this if

1) todman or johnson were power backs

2) we had been running the ball well... todman had a good run but that was from watt playing the pass and leaving a gap

3) if on our only run up the gut gerhart hadn't been hit 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage

odds on our run wouldn't have got us 5 yards but would have been stuffed at the line
Ok valid reason if we were on the 5 or less but we where at the 10 you dont power run up the middle to try and get 10 yards. The play todman had run for big yardage would be an option or a toss sweep to the corner to try and get closer to the line or even a pistol QB option would be a good choice.

Okay, I don't understand.   First and goal on the 10 yard line, we're supposed to RUN the ball???   You have got to be kidding.   Can you imagine the complaints if we had done that?   That would be a total waste of a down. 

Secondly, we only seem to be complaining about "play calling" when plays don't work.   We don't seem to complain when they work.  

Thirdly, to the person who said we should have thrown short of the goal line.   People already complain about throwing short of first downs, and now, we need a touchdown, and we're supposed to throw short of the goal line????  

The play calling was fine.   The OC cannot go out there and throw the ball and he can't go out there and catch it, either.  

Quote:Yes I understand. I'm talking about a designed high-percentage pass play that would've allowed the ball carrier behind the Texans' line and in the middle of the field with a chance to make someone miss and get into the endzone. The receivers have actually been decent blocking. If failed, it would've at least kept the clock running to give Houston less time to work with, provided the Jags were able to get the score. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Don't you remember how many times people complain about throwing short of the first down marker?   And now we need a TD, and we're supposed to throw short of the goal line?  

Quote:Okay, I don't understand.   First and goal on the 10 yard line, we're supposed to RUN the ball???   You have got to be kidding.   Can you imagine the complaints if we had done that?   That would be a total waste of a down. 

Secondly, we only seem to be complaining about "play calling" when plays don't work.   We don't seem to complain when they work.  

Thirdly, to the person who said we should have thrown short of the goal line.   People already complain about throwing short of first downs, and now, we need a touchdown, and we're supposed to throw short of the goal line????  

The play calling was fine.   The OC cannot go out there and throw the ball and he can't go out there and catch it, either.  
how many TD from the 10 yard line and less have we scored throwing the ball and how man have we scored running the ball. we where running well that game their defense was aggressivly rushing the passer, any one who knows football knows you can run when you have an agressive defense rushing the passer. That is way you run on first down. 1st you might score, second if you dont you will be a whole lot closer to the endzone for the next 3 plays.

Quote:Okay, I don't understand.   First and goal on the 10 yard line, we're supposed to RUN the ball???   You have got to be kidding.   Can you imagine the complaints if we had done that?   That would be a total waste of a down. 

Exactly.

If Shorts catches the ball that hits him in the hands, the Jaguars win the game and nobody is talking about bad or predictable play calling.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!