Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st and goal at the 10

The cecil and Lee collision seemed like a miscommunication

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The cecil and Lee collision seemed like a miscommunication
Yeah but instead of shorts catching the ball he looked at Lee like he was an idiot. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:Did I say we were dominating them with the run game? No. I just wanted the calls to be less predictable. BTW, the first pass to Shorts was fine.
I love the "predictable" tag you NFL coaches love to throw around here.

Play calling league wide is probably 90% or more predictable.  Execution is what wins games.  You're not catching anyone off guard or surprising them to win games most of the time.  You're out-executing them.  We didn't yesterday.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Quote:I love the "predictable" tag you NFL coaches love to throw around here.

Play calling around league wide is probably 90% or more predictable.  Execution is what wins games.  You're not catching anyone off guard or surprising them to win games most of the time.  You're out-executing them.  We didn't yesterday.
Flashback...

Quote:<div>
Those calls were horrible, and the execution was worse. Those four plays summarized our season we had. A 34 yard run by Bortles, and then we came up short. Couldn't even get 10 yards. 

</div>
I agree with you about the execution...

But what about those 10% of plays that aren't predictable. Maybe call one of those.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Quote: 

<div>Flashback...

</div>
It's clear we have some truly genius fans on this board. 

Unfortunately, you're not among them. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:You don't run a screen in a goalline situation because there is no way to draw the linebackers away from the LOS. Learn some basic football strategy before you start double guessing the playcalling. 

Yes. I was referring to a short dumpoff to the RB beyond the LOS. Not a screen per say and a poor use of terminology by me.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 07:43 PM by badger.)

The only thing that bothered me was us waiting until the final drive to push the ball down field... and by "down field" i mean more than 5-10 yards

Quote:It's clear we have some truly genius fans on this board. 

Unfortunately, you're not among them. 
I remember seeing a post, not too long ago, that included a saying in that user's signature that said: "Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Guess I'll have to be more careful next time.

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock

Quote:I remember seeing a post, not too long ago, that included a saying in that user's signature that said: "Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Guess I'll have to be more careful next time.
I'm pretty sure you don't understand the meaning behind the quote. 

Pretty much summed up our season.  Bortles makes some good plays but is inconsistent too, and then when he is right on target he gets no help and the receivers drop the ball.

Quote:Yes. I was referring to a short dumpoff to the RB beyond the LOS. Not a screen per say and a poor use of terminology by me.
A check down is a last option play in order to get a few yards. Something out of nothing. A screen is a designed play. The only similarities between the two are the target and the distance of the pass. Other than that they are completely different and neither would have worked in this case. 

Quote:I'm pretty sure you don't understand the meaning behind the quote. 
Please tell me the meaning, then. Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:Please tell me the meaning, then. Inquiring minds want to know.
Unfortunately, inquiring minds doesn't include you obviously.

Quote:Pretty much summed up our season.  Bortles makes some good plays but is inconsistent too, and then when he is right on target he gets no help and the receivers drop the ball.
Exactly.  Bortles inconsistency or butter handed receivers are apparently Jedd's fault. 

Quote:Potential game winning drive. 10 yards for the go-ahead score. 4 consecutive passes. This is where I believe the playcalling has been particularly atrocious; in the redzone.

Everyone in the stadium knew Houston would bring the heat. How about a QB draw? What happened to the read option? Quick screen to the RB? Catch the defense overpursuing. Bortles had completed less than 50% of his passes and the receivers couldn't catch a cold. Why lean on the offense's biggest weakness in the game's biggest moment? Those had to be 4 of the most predictable plays I could imagine.

I think Fisch will be retained, and I'm not keen on Bortles learning a new offense for the 2nd year in a row anyway. Point is, redzone playcalling needs to improve big time to make this offense more productive.

Wait..wait...wait so now we want MORE screens? I clearly don't understand a lot if the fans on this board.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 07:53 PM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Quote:Unfortunately, inquiring minds doesn't include you obviously.
It is unfortunate that I am still carrying on this conversation. But I do remain curious as to why you feel the need to insult others around you. I can provide you with some hotlines, if you want. They are there to help, after all.

Quote:Exactly.  Bortles inconsistency or butter handed receivers are apparently Jedd's fault. 
Fisch hasn't proven much, but hard to put the most blame on him.  I think any OC would not have looked very good here with all of the issues.  The O-line (minus Linder) probably performed the worst out of any unit in the league too.  This offense was bound to struggle no matter the coaching or play calling.

Quote:Fisch hasn't proven much, but hard to put the most blame on him.  I think any OC would not have looked very good here with all of the issues.  The O-line (minus Linder) probably performed the worst out of any unit in the league too.  This offense was bound to struggle no matter the coaching or play calling.
I remember posting a topic about this a while ago, and I got slammed by people. What changed between two weeks?

Quote:Fisch hasn't proven much, but hard to put the most blame on him.  I think any OC would not have looked very good here with all of the issues.  The O-line (minus Linder) probably performed the worst out of any unit in the league too.  This offense was bound to struggle no matter the coaching or play calling.
Therein lies the issue. 

The personnel isn't quite where it needs to be.  It's easy to blame the OC for the struggles when you don't know the plays being called.  It's less easy to blame him when the players aren't doing their jobs on the field. 

How many drops were there yesterday?  How many errant passes?  How many times did the line fail to protect the QB?  How many times did Bortles hold on to the ball for too long? 

Football is like a symphony.  All of the parts must work together in order to create a work of art, and if one fails, the entire thing falls flat.  This offense is a few parts away from being a decent unit.  This off season will hopefully provide the remaining pieces. 

Quote:I remember posting a topic about this a while ago, and I got slammed by people. What changed between two weeks?

Not sure anything has changed.  I thought this for a while.

Quote:Therein lies the issue. 

The personnel isn't quite where it needs to be.  It's easy to blame the OC for the struggles when you don't know the plays being called.  It's less easy to blame him when the players aren't doing their jobs on the field. 

How many drops were there yesterday?  How many errant passes?  How many times did the line fail to protect the QB?  How many times did Bortles hold on to the ball for too long? 

Football is like a symphony.  All of the parts must work together in order to create a work of art, and if one fails, the entire thing falls flat.  This offense is a few parts away from being a decent unit.  This off season will hopefully provide the remaining pieces. 
Agreed.  You can have this awesome lead guitarist but if your drummer is awful, your band is going to sound like garbage.