Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which is the worst Jaguars draft blunder of all time?
Trading up for Derrick Harvey a.k.a. Raphael in 2008.
Beating the clots at the end of the 2011 season and handing them Andrew Luck in the draft.
Trading up for Justin Blackmon in 2012, meanwhile Tannehill and Kuechley are taken a few picks later.
Trading up for Gabbert in 2011, J.J. Watt is then taken by the tinhorns with the pick right after Gabbert.
Taking a Punter in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, meanwhile Russell Wilson is picked 5 picks later.
Taking college QB Matt Jones in the 1st round in 2005 and making him a WR a position he has not previously played. Oh yeah and Aaron Rodgers is taken 3 picks later.
Taking R. Jay Soward in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.
corn
Blank #2
Taking Reggie Williams 9th overall in 2004, Roethlisberger goes 11th.
[Show Results]

Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history?

Quote:Awww, that seems a little harsh on Dave. Some of his picks haven't worked out (no surprise) but as far as I know none of his picks have been epic to the degree of matt jones, brian anger, blain gab (he who shall not be named) or r j soward. Actually,  there's nothing bad about anger as a punter as such; it's just the bone head move of taking him in the third round... instead of wilson. That was an indictment of just how bad Gene Smith was as GM. Oh well...
I say that because I feel no more confident in him from the day he got here to now. This team still looks years away from competing for the playoffs with no optimism in sight. And that Luke The Joke Joeckel pick is bordering on epic trash at this point. He also hired Gus Bradley so that's another knock on him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I love Anger, but that pick alone basically summarized how far Gene Smith set this team back.

I remember I was at work asking customers what happened. OMG. I almost had a heart attack. Gene Smith is the worst GM in NFL history if you ask me.

Quote:Matt Jones wins this one for me.

The guy was a beast. Smh.

Quote:I dont think that was as agregis as Leftwich/Big Ben Debacle

This one was bigger for me.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

My hindsight draft blunder goes to the 96' draft. While I loved Kevin Hardy, I can't help but think that had we drafted Ray Lewis instead, we don't lose to the Titans 3 times in 99' and maybe win the Super Bowl.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Where's the "All of the above" option???

Or just make it one answer  Gene Smith!!!   

I would have included "Jaguars pass up on future hall of fame multiple Superbowl winning QB to draft slow WR that can't get separation or catch above his head because NEED BASED DRAFTING."

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 05:20 PM by CSO14.)

Harvey did it for me.  After all the blunders, thinking you are one guy away from a Super Bowl is just [BLEEP].  We gave away picks to move up to pick Mr. Tae Kwon Do, and then with our next pick, we select Groves!?  That whole draft class yeilded absolutely NOTHING.  I'm getting irritated typing about this.  What kills me the most, is that Harvey is doing ninja turtle stuff, and pass rushing chairs while he's holding out for a bigger contract.

Look how slow and stupid he does this:

[url=http://youtu.be/5rw_07Kv_ao]youtube[/url]

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Harvey did it for me.  After all the blunders, thinking you are one guy away from a Super Bowl is just [BLEEP].  We gave away picks to move up to pick Mr. Tae Kwon Do, and then with our next pick, we select Groves!?  That whole draft class yeilded absolutely NOTHING.  I'm getting irritated typing about this.  What kills me the most, is that Harvey is doing ninja turtle stuff, and pass rushing chairs while he's holding out for a bigger contract.

He's right up there with the Star Wars kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU

Quote:That being said... With hindsight being 20/20, I think the punter being drafted probably is the killer here, especially considering Wilson was there.
I don't think that Wilson is really that good IMO. I know that I'll probably receive some heat for that, but it just seems like he's been carried by guys like Marshawn Lynch and the Legion of Boom. And not his overall ability as a QB. The same can be said for Kaepernick. If he was on another team like say the Bucs or the Raiders, he probably wouldn't be able to do much.

Quote:I don't think that Wilson is really that good IMO. I know that I'll probably receive some heat for that, but it just seems like he's been carried by guys like Marshawn Lynch and the Legion of Boom. And not his overall ability as a QB. The same can be said for Kaepernick. If he was on another team like say the Bucs or the Raiders, he probably wouldn't be able to do much.

lol, I don't get everyone about these two.  They would ABSOLUTELY SUCK on this team.  Bortles would out perform them.  Wilson would have his balls swatted and crushed, and Kaepernick would try to run the whole time because he's about as accurate as Henne.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Harvey did it for me.  After all the blunders, thinking you are one guy away from a Super Bowl is just [BLEEP].  We gave away picks to move up to pick Mr. Tae Kwon Do, and then with our next pick, we select Groves!?  That whole draft class yeilded absolutely NOTHING.  I'm getting irritated typing about this.  What kills me the most, is that Harvey is doing ninja turtle stuff, and pass rushing chairs while he's holding out for a bigger contract.

:teehee:

I completely forgot about that video.  When I first saw that years ago I thought he looked ridiculous.

I'm not sure the concept of this thread is very clear.  But f I take hindsight out of the equation and judge the decisions by what information they had at the time, the "move" with the biggest impact was beating the Colts.  You can argue it  was a blunder because they pretty much understood what beating them meant.  The only other two I would say were blunders was taking a punter, though the impact of this move was insignificant (no we weren't going to draft Russel Wilson), and drafting Matt Jones in the first round, just because he's a QB and you want him to play reciever.  The other moves were just missing on players, which happens.

So out of this list:

1. Beating Colts

2. Matt Jones

3. 3rd round punter

Quote:I don't think that Wilson is really that good IMO. I know that I'll probably receive some heat for that, but it just seems like he's been carried by guys like Marshawn Lynch and the Legion of Boom. And not his overall ability as a QB. The same can be said for Kaepernick. If he was on another team like say the Bucs or the Raiders, he probably wouldn't be able to do much.
I agree about Kaep, but I don't think he's that good of a QB.  Wilson on the other hand is a good starting QB IMO.  I like Bortles and I think he'll be a good QB also so the Anger pick hurts a bit less than it did earlier.

I actually tried to make sense of it at the time thinking these are professionals and they have a plan, but that's what I do when I see nonsensical situations.

Quote:lol, I don't get everyone about these two.  They would ABSOLUTELY SUCK on this team.  Bortles would out perform them.  Wilson would have his balls swatted and crushed, and Kaepernick would try to run the whole time because he's about as accurate as Henne.
The last really successful mobile QB that I can think of in this league was Steve Young. But even Steve Young eventually was forced to become a pocket-passer. Let's face it. Mobile QB's are not long term solutions. And many of them are frankly not that very good at all. If there's really a future HOF caliber QB in the 2011-2012 NFL draft's, it without a doubt is Andrew Luck.

my vote goes for drafting Reggie Williams number 9 overall absolutely no arm extension nobody control and looked uncomfortable interacting with a footballwith Matt Jones you still had Byron Leftwich on the roster and you weren't going to draft a quarterback even if you thought it was really good

I think as an overall draft 2008 is the worst. Like you said, we basically spent the entire draft on those two players and they are probably two of the worst 1st and 2nd rounders in our history.

Only reason I don't consider Harvey "the worst" is because, while yes those two absolutely stunk, I think we were all duped from 2007. That entire team got old quick from 2007 to 2008.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 06:35 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

The thing about beating the Clots in 2011 is that they would have just traded up to 1 from 2.

Quote:The thing about beating the Clots in 2011 is that they would have just traded up to 1 from 2.

I doubt that.

If the Rams had wanted to trade the pick then it would have been wide open.

The colts would have likely just gone back to Peyton.

Quote:I doubt that.

If the Rams had wanted to trade the pick then it would have been wide open.

The colts would have likely just gone back to Peyton.
So they would have gone back to Manning and made the RG3 trade.

trading monroe in his prime for peanuts and ending up with luke jokeeeeel

bortles wouldve had a better season if he had monroe protecting him

Quote:So they would have gone back to Manning and made the RG3 trade.

Maybe, or maybe the Redskins trade all those picks to the Rams instead and no one else is willing to put up that ransom.

Either way the Jaguars would be looking at Peyton in his twilight years right now if they'd have thrown that game at the end of 2011 instead of facing a guy who is going to be on the field another 12+ years.