Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which is the worst Jaguars draft blunder of all time?
Trading up for Derrick Harvey a.k.a. Raphael in 2008.
Beating the clots at the end of the 2011 season and handing them Andrew Luck in the draft.
Trading up for Justin Blackmon in 2012, meanwhile Tannehill and Kuechley are taken a few picks later.
Trading up for Gabbert in 2011, J.J. Watt is then taken by the tinhorns with the pick right after Gabbert.
Taking a Punter in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft, meanwhile Russell Wilson is picked 5 picks later.
Taking college QB Matt Jones in the 1st round in 2005 and making him a WR a position he has not previously played. Oh yeah and Aaron Rodgers is taken 3 picks later.
Taking R. Jay Soward in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.
corn
Blank #2
Taking Reggie Williams 9th overall in 2004, Roethlisberger goes 11th.
[Show Results]

Worst draft related blunder in Jaguars history?

Quote:I think as an overall draft 2008 is the worst. Like you said, we basically spent the entire draft on those two players and they are probably two of the worst 1st and 2nd rounders in our history.

Only reason I don't consider Harvey "the worst" is because, while yes those two absolutely stunk, I think we were all duped from 2007. That entire team got old quick from 2007 to 2008.
I don't consider Harvey the worst because at least he showed up and tried. He just wasn't any good. R Jay Soward couldn't even be bothered to come to practice, Coughlin had to send a chauffeured car to pick him up, Boselli tried to help him but gave after he saw the guy put Jack Daniels in his water bottle at practice. Never did anything of note for the Jaguars and was wore out his welcome after just one season. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 07:10 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:Maybe, or maybe the Redskins trade all those picks to the Rams instead and no one else is willing to put up that ransom.

Either way the Jaguars would be looking at Peyton in his twilight years right now if they'd have thrown that game at the end of 2011 instead of facing a guy who is going to be on the field another 12+ years.
Maybe or maybe not is the point. You can't say that winning a game was a worst decision than picking an inferior player.

Quote:There are 2 votes for me:

The hindsight vote, Matt Jones/Rodgers wins by a landslide. it isn't even negotiable.

An "at the time" vote, it was beating Indy to give them Andrew Luck.

^This

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I dont look at who just happened to be the guy picked in the next few spots because honestly you can say that about virtually EVERY pick in the draft. Hell, every pick in the first 3 rounds before Russell Wilson would have that tag of a bad pick because Wilson would have been better. Its just a poor way of looking at it with perfect hindsight in very specific cases.

Harvey was a main cog in the Gators national champ team, granted that doesn't mean he will do good in the next level and we gave up too much but at least he could have worked out.

Soward and Blackmon were incredible off the field messes, you never expect something like Blackmon or Soward to happen.

Beating the Colts to lose Andrew Luck may in reality take the case but I care about honor so I always want to play to win.

A punter in the third was terrible, but at least good at his position.

Gabbert was terrible but I blame a lot of it on how he was handled. He gets my second runner up.

Matt Jones and Reggie stand out to me the most though. And, its virtually the same pick. You take a big, lanky, uncoordinated guy and put them in the position that probably requires the second most change of direction and body control(remind you of anyone still around from that era?). Add onto that Reggie had bad hands too.

Matt, while vilified(somewhat rightly so) I still think could have played out better had he cared about the game. This is not a pick I would make again at that spot even if I knew he was a high motor guy, but at least there is some part of me that thinks if he just gave it his all he could have been a good WR.

Reggie though, was just an abomination of a pick. I will never forget the "highlight reel" they played for him when he was drafted, it looked like he was an uncoordinated TE, nevermind a WR. In fact he looked less coordinated than Lewis did. Think about that one. I remember a play in his first year where there was a ball in the air that he was running towards while a DB was standing waiting for it like a punt. I was thinking, o good, he will outjump the guy(since he is coming from in front) and we get a big play. Instead he runs COMPLETELY OVER the DB, like literally full speed even though he was looking back for the ball.  The ball drops maybe 3-4 yards before where the DB was. Had the DB not been there he would have outran the ball by maybe 10 yards for no reason, terrible ability to read the ball in the air and couldn't stop on 3 metersticks lined up, nevermind a dime. He is also still the only player I have ever(or will ever) see make a turn by bouncing on one leg three times with his other leg in the air like a cartoon because he can't change his momentum. Most LTs have better body control than he did. He was like a 3 stooges act out there. The fact that no one LITERALLY LEFT THE ORGANIZATION when we picked that guy was the reason we are where we are right now. No one in that room either could tell this guy was a miss or convince the 3 headed monster not to pick him? Its like taking JaMarcus with the first pick. Its just so absolutely mind boggling that people who evaluate talent as a year round job could make that kind of mistake.

I will say though, at least Reggie seemed to care. He would block well and had no problems running into and over people if he got the ball. I think for most people the lasting impression will be him taking that slant, getting his helmet knocked off, and still carrying 3 guys another 5 or 10 yards with no helmet on. I just cant get that 3 stooges turn out of my head though.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 09:43 PM by CSO14.)

Quote:I dont look at who just happened to be the guy picked in the next few spots because honestly you can say that about virtually EVERY pick in the draft. Hell, every pick in the first 3 rounds before Russell Wilson would have that tag of a bad pick because Wilson would have been better. Its just a poor way of looking at it with perfect hindsight in very specific cases.

Harvey was a main cog in the Gators national champ team, granted that doesn't mean he will do good in the next level and we gave up too much but at least he could have worked out.

Soward and Blackmon were incredible off the field messes, you never expect something like Blackmon or Soward to happen.

Beating the Colts to lose Andrew Luck may in reality take the case but I care about honor so I always want to play to win.

A punter in the third was terrible, but at least good at his position.

Gabbert was terrible but I blame a lot of it on how he was handled. He gets my second runner up.

Matt Jones and Reggie stand out to me the most though. And, its virtually the same pick. You take a big, lanky, uncoordinated guy and put them in the position that probably requires the second most change of direction and body control(remind you of anyone still around from that era?). Add onto that Reggie had bad hands too.

Matt, while vilified(somewhat rightly so) I still think could have played out better had he cared about the game. This is not a pick I would make again at that spot even if I knew he was a high motor guy, but at least there is some part of me that thinks if he just gave it his all he could have been a good WR.

Reggie though, was just an abomination of a pick. I will never forget the "highlight reel" they played for him when he was drafted, it looked like he was an uncoordinated TE, nevermind a WR. In fact he looked less coordinated than Lewis did. Think about that one. I remember a play in his first year where there was a ball in the air that he was running towards while a DB was standing waiting for it like a punt. I was thinking, o good, he will outjump the guy(since he is coming from in front) and we get a big play. Instead he runs COMPLETELY OVER the DB, like literally full speed even though he was looking back for the ball.  The ball drops maybe 3-4 yards before where the DB was. Had the DB not been there he would have outran the ball by maybe 10 yards for no reason, terrible ability to read the ball in the air and couldn't stop on 3 metersticks lined up, nevermind a dime. He is also still the only player I have ever(or will ever) see make a turn by bouncing on one leg three times with his other leg in the air like a cartoon because he can't change his momentum. Most LTs have better body control than he did. He was like a 3 stooges act out there. The fact that no one LITERALLY LEFT THE ORGANIZATION when we picked that guy was the reason we are where we are right now. No one in that room either could tell this guy was a miss or convince the 3 headed monster not to pick him? Its like taking JaMarcus with the first pick. Its just so absolutely mind boggling that people who evaluate talent as a year round job could make that kind of mistake.

I will say though, at least Reggie seemed to care. He would block well and had no problems running into and over people if he got the ball. I think for most people the lasting impression will be him taking that slant, getting his helmet knocked off, and still carrying 3 guys another 5 or 10 yards with no helmet on. I just cant get that 3 stooges turn out of my head though.

My boy reggie, falling down and dancing after a 2 yard gain, and Matt "crackhead" Jones.

[Image: Matt-Jones-Reggie-Williams-Jacksonville-Jaguars.jpg]

PS: Miss those uniforms

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Easily the worst move - letting the Colts pick Andrew Luck.  That one will haunt the Jags for at least the next 10 years. 

It's sad that M. Lewis and R. Williams hold the TD record.  Two of the worst 1st round picks.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I know we've talked about all of these over the years and the Jaguars have had more than their share of doozies.  I'm sure I missed a few, but I do believe this is a good representation of the worst.  Which one is the worst for you?  

For me, any trade up and miss scenario is going to be near the top of the list because of the additional damage trading up does.  (Have we ever traded up and nailed it?) With that said, the trading up for Gabbert and missing out on MVP candidate and future HOFer J. J. Watt is the worst in my opinion.  For a long time I thought it was the trade up for Derrick Harvey and that one was really bad as well, but as bad as Gabbert was on his own it's being made even worse with how good J.J. Watt is and exacerbated further by him being in our division.  

Trading up for Blackmon with a decent QB in Tannehill and stud MLB in Kuechley still sitting there was pretty bad as well and they would have still been sitting there had we not traded up.  Bleh.

The Matt Jones pick was terrible too with Aaron Rodgers still sitting there, but I can understand not going after Rodgers having just drafted Leftwich and thinking he was the guy at the time.  I can't give a pass for taking a project WR in the 1st round though.

Anyone of them could be picked, but hindsight is 20/20 a lot of people passed on JJ Watt because they didnt know how good he truly was as in point with Russell Wilson so as much as I would want to pick those I have to go with drafting a QB in the 1st round with the intention of making him a WR.  That was just the dumbest idea ever, sure if it was a fourth or later round not that big of a deal but the first round pick is a guy that can make an immediate impact on your team and start usually right away.  Why would you risk a QB to WR project on a 1st round pick?  Then how badly he was on the off field issuses.  Crazy.

Quote:I don't consider Harvey the worst because at least he showed up and tried. He just wasn't any good. R Jay Soward couldn't even be bothered to come to practice, Coughlin had to send a chauffeured car to pick him up, Boselli tried to help him but gave after he saw the guy put Jack Daniels in his water bottle at practice. Never did anything of note for the Jaguars and was wore out his welcome after just one season. 
A great point, but substance abuse aside Matt "Crackhead" Jones as a previous poster had refered to him was a horrible idea by management thus more appropriate in my mind for winner of this poll.

They cant control a guys substanse abuse but picking a QB to be a WR in the 1st round was just a horrible idea.

Everybody talks about J.J. Watt in hindsight, but when he declared for the draft out of Wisconsin, most public draft prognosticators did not even rate him as a Rd 1 selection. I remember many of these same people were surprised that Watt was taken so high. He always had the gung-ho attitude in college but no one knew he would turn out as he has thus far in his NFL career.

What I am saying is Watt did not come out as a Bruce Smith of the Bills, otherwise he would have been a Top 3 pick.

I voted Matt Jones, simply because I dont think hindsight comparables to drafts are fair, yes the Anger pick, but did anyone know Wilson was going to be good, No. Same with Rodgers, Big Ben and JJ if we knew then what we know now it would be fantastic but we didnt.

My Hindsight pick if I had one would be the Aaron Rodgers one but I mainly voted for Matt Jones because drafting a prospect who has never played that position in the first is just idiotic.

Derrick Harvey. You spend time scouting this kid for more than a year, and you still trade king's ransom for a guy that didn't give two bleeps about football. At least Gabbert cared and put the work in...

Quote:It's sad that M. Lewis and R. Williams hold the TD record.  Two of the worst 1st round picks.

Amen. M Lewis has to be THE WORST starter at TE in NFL history. Hell, even pop warner history.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:I voted Matt Jones, simply because I dont think hindsight comparables to drafts are fair, yes the Anger pick, but did anyone know Wilson was going to be good, No. Same with Rodgers, Big Ben and JJ if we knew then what we know now it would be fantastic but we didnt.

My Hindsight pick if I had one would be the Aaron Rodgers one but I mainly voted for Matt Jones because drafting a prospect who has never played that position in the first is just idiotic.

I disagree on one thing you said.

Picking a punter in the 3rd round of a NFL draft is just plain stupid. Picking a punter in the 3rd round of fantasy football is just plain stupid. Picking a punter in the 3rd round of a NFL draft on madden is just plain stupid and therefore maybe THE worst pick ever by the jags.

All hail Jean Smiff.

#iamlegend

Quote:I disagree on one thing you said.

Picking a punter in the 3rd round of a NFL draft is just plain stupid. Picking a punter in the 3rd round of fantasy football is just plain stupid. Picking a punter in the 3rd round of a NFL draft on madden is just plain stupid and therefore maybe THE worst pick ever by the jags. All hail Jean Smiff.

Did you not see that shovel pass the other week? The guy is legit!!

Quote:Did you not see that shovel pass the other week? The guy is legit!!

Did it make sports center's top 10?

#iamlegend

Quote:Maybe, or maybe the Redskins trade all those picks to the Rams instead and no one else is willing to put up that ransom.

Either way the Jaguars would be looking at Peyton in his twilight years right now if they'd have thrown that game at the end of 2011 instead of facing a guy who is going to be on the field another 12+ years.

Yeah either Rams take Luck #1 or they make the same trade and Redskins end up with Luck. Either way, it would have been a good thing for Jags.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 11:38 AM by JAGFAN88.)

I just remembered one, Didnt we let the clock run out and mess up on a trade with baltimore ? i think that was considered a big blunder.

Quote:I just remembered one, Didnt we let the clock run out and mess up on a trade with baltimore ? i think that was considered a big blunder.
I thought that was the opposite and it was Baltimore that let the clock run out.

Quote:I thought that was the opposite and it was Baltimore that let the clock run out.

Minnesota let the clock run out and the Jaguars were suckered into taking Leftwich.

A move that set off a chain of moves that set the team back for a decade.