Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poz is "absolutely" open to adding a year to his contract to lower his 2015 cap number

Quote:OK; what Posluszny and the OP said was in no way misleading to anyone with even a basic understanding of how the cap works.

Which has nothing to do with what I said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Which has nothing to do with what I said.
Really? Because it's relevant to the first two of the three sentences in your original post and the third sentence I've already addressed.

To sum it up; It's not misleading and the only way to actually cut his pay is to cut him. 

Quote:OK; what Posluszny and the OP said was in no way misleading to anyone with even a basic understanding of how the cap works. 

Then all the remaining bonus money comes forward in the same year leaving you with no net gain or loss except for making free agents just a bit more reluctant to sign with a team that tricks veteran players like that. 

That's why you wait until camp then release them early to "get them the opportunity elsewhere".

Say what you want about Poz but the guy is a team player.

I'd keep him around. He is a pretty decent 1-2 down MLB, and would be a premium depth player when we find his replacement.

Quote:Really? Because it's relevant to the first two of the three sentences in your original post and the third sentence I've already addressed.

To sum it up; It's not misleading and the only way to actually cut his pay is to cut him. 

You seem to have miscomprehended for some reason.

Let me make it clear.

My only point was that saying you will take another year on your deal to spread out your cap hit (which isn't even relevant to the Jaguars, we have the most cap space in the league) has nothing to do with whether Poz would be willing to do what the team should want him to do, which is endure an actual pay cut.

Do you understand?

are we hurting for cap space?

he has a cap hit of 2.5 mil whatever happens

if he is willing to take a pay cut to be a 2 down linebacker for us I don't have a problem with that

for all his flaws the guy is a tackling machine and one of my favourite player

unless we are spending to the cap, which I highly doubt, this pay cut is not even necessary

Poz's statement means nothing without validation as to how much lower he's willing to accept for the additional year.

Quote:Oh so beastly.  Racking up those 5 yard-gainer tackles and running 6 yards behind TE's.  So beastly.

Per PFF, Posluszny led all ILBs in stops last year with 80. Navarro Bowman was 2nd with 67. Stop drinking the Alfie juice. You'd think with how the run defense has regressed after [BLEEP]' injury people would realise how good he is in that phase of the game. 

According to Spotrac, with his workout bonus, he'll make $7.5m this next year ($9.5m cap cost due to $2m of amortized cap cost), and he has another year after that with a salary and cap of $7.5m.  He's 30 years old, and will be 32 when his existing contract expires.  I don't like the idea of restructuring his existing deal and adding years (and new bonus and/or guaranteed money), as the risk of future dead money becomes higher in my mind after 32 years of age.   

If I were Dave, I would keep him on the roster for another year, as he's a decent to good player on a talent deprived and overly youthful roster, at a position with needs, and he's not a burden on the cap with the projected room to spare.  The idea of cutting him to just save money is not worth it to me.

As someone else already said he is a good 2 down LB.  He seems to be a good leader and does have good instincts.  Add a year or two and restructure his contract. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

From what I remember regarding nfl salary rules (I may be wrong), a player can't be asked to take a pay cut unless the team is up against or over the cap.

Add another year? I don't want him back for one more. People love to hoard old trash. The linebacker play in the games he played in and didn't isn't that significant to bring him back. Look at the games he played in and the scores.

Quote: 

<div style="font-family:Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(252,252,252);">
<div>Interesting. Now saying it and doing it are two different things. And while I know that the team likes Poz, I still have a hard time seeing him in the long terms plans.
</div>

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);">
<div> 
</div>
</div>

</div>
Poz is worth keeping around, but only if his actual salary is lowered substantially. Not unlike CSIII.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

people used to blame the middle of the field being open on Poz, well... it's still wide open

Quote:Poz is worth keeping around, but only if his actual salary is lowered substantially. Not unlike CSIII.

are we hurting for cap? NO

Quote:people used to blame the middle of the field being open on Poz, well... it's still wide open

Well Poz isn't very good in coverage. Just because JT Thomas is also bad doesn't make Poz better. (Although I think people realize now that our safety play is atrocious as well). 

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM by ATLjag.)

The team can ask any player to take a salary cut at anytime.  But, he can not be forced into the salary reduction as he has a binding contract with the team.  The salary is only lowered if the player agrees to the change (usually a restructuring with added years and guaranteed money...not just a simple base salary reduction). 

The team's sole leverage to get a player to agree to the lower salary is if the player is incented with more guaranteed money over a longer period of time, or the threat of cutting the player now (if the player knows he won't get the kind of money being offered in the restructure or extension by another team).   

Quote:people used to blame the middle of the field being open on Poz, well... it's still wide open
true... but it appears to have been wide open when Poz was there too...

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...