Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poz is "absolutely" open to adding a year to his contract to lower his 2015 cap number

Quote:Why should Poz agree to any kind of pay cut? Before going on IR he was playing at a near Pro Bowl level.

The Jaguars can save a bit this year by adding a season and restructuring his contract, however, they have enough money in the books that they shouldn't even need to do this much in order to keep him. Besides, cutting Marcedes will save $6.8 mil which even more money than cutting Poz would save. Cutting Henne would save another $3.5 mil.

Of note, cutting Gerhart would save $2.5 mil on top of that in the event the Jaguars might be eyeing a different FA RB to be the starter. Meanwhile, some of the backup DLs could save the Jaguars a bunch. Cutting Alualu would save nearly $2.5 mil, and cutting Ziggy Hood would save nearly $4 mil. The Jaguars have enough options that we don't need to panic about Poz' team-high cap hit.
The Jags have enough options that we don't need to panic about ANY players currently under contract. They won't be cutting anyone to save a buck. They may walk away from guys who are under performing their deals. I don't see Poz in that category.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Why should Poz agree to any kind of pay cut? Before going on IR he was playing at a near Pro Bowl level.

The Jaguars can save a bit this year by adding a season and restructuring his contract, however, they have enough money in the books that they shouldn't even need to do this much in order to keep him. Besides, cutting Marcedes will save $6.8 mil which even more money than cutting Poz would save. Cutting Henne would save another $3.5 mil.

Of note, cutting Gerhart would save $2.5 mil on top of that in the event the Jaguars might be eyeing a different FA RB to be the starter. Meanwhile, some of the backup DLs could save the Jaguars a bunch. Cutting Alualu would save nearly $2.5 mil, and cutting Ziggy Hood would save nearly $4 mil. The Jaguars have enough options that we don't need to panic about Poz' team-high cap hit.

I agree with most of the points here. 

Lewis is the highest paid TE and he's always hurt or dropping passes.  Contender for most overpaid player in the NFL. 

Even if you have the cap space, there is no reason to be overpaying mediocre and backup players.  Better off overspending on a true star at least. 

See i understand cutting Lewis because he doesnt produce. Poz produces.

Quote:Why should Poz agree to any kind of pay cut?
Before going on IR he was playing at a near Pro Bowl level.

[Image: img401.imageshack.us_img401_7936_notsureifserious.gif]

Is Poz really that much better than JT thomas?

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 12:22 AM by haveaseat.)

Quote:Is Poz really that much better than JT thomas?

Easily in the run game and Poz has made a number of INT's in his career here in coverage despite people calling it an area of weakness. We get burned down the seam when he's not even on the field. But it's clearly all his fault and he sucks.

Ugh! NFL even put him as one of their top 10 ILB's!! What do they know. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...inebackers

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 12:22 AM by Predator.)

Poz got 33% more tackles per start this year than Thomas. A significant stat for a middle LB.

Quote:Yes. Easily in the run game and Poz has made a number of INT's in his career here in coverage despite people calling it an area of weakness. We get burned down the seam when he's not even on the field. But it's all his fault and he sucks.

I'm not sure what you're seeing but we get smoked by TEs down the seam when Poz is in the game.  I like the guy and all but he's a step slower than a top MLB and he's not great in coverage.  I'm not saying he's bad but he's definitely just above average.  I say let him walk and go with youth.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM by haveaseat.)

Quote:I'm not sure what you're seeing but we get smoked by TEs down the seam when Poz is in the game.  I like the guy and all but he's a step slower than a top MLB and he's not great in coverage.  I'm not saying he's bad but he's definitely just above average.  I say let him walk and go with youth.

You do realize covering the TE isn't just always Poz's/MLB's responsibility right? If we're playing cover 2 zone (we do play a ton of zone) and the TE runs a seam route beyond of Poz he's not going to leave it open and chase down the TE to potentially let a crossing route kill us underneath. The responsibility shifts to our safeties who I believe are primarily to blame for the TE's killing us all year.

Quote:You do realize covering the TE isn't just always Poz's/MLB's responsibility right? If we're playing cover 2 zone and the TE runs a seam route outside of Poz he's not going to leave it open and chase down the TE potentially let a crossing route kill us underneath. The responsibility shifts to our safeties who I believe are primarily to blame for the TE's killing us all year.
Yes I do realize the MLB isn't soley responsible for coverage.  I also agree the safeties really stink.  It was just an observation.  TEs were killing us early in the season.  Maybe it was coincidence and maybe the safeties started playing better when Poz went down. 

Nonetheless, Poz is an OK MLB.  He's a super respectful guy and I like him and greatly respect him but is he worth $7.45M each of the next 2 years?  No... I say throw that money at some other FA we badly need and go with youth at the LB position.  We aren't going to the Super Bowl in the next 2 years so I say part ways with him and spend the money elsewhere.  It's just my opinion.

Quote:Poz got 33% more tackles per start this year than Thomas. A significant stat for a middle LB.
Yeah, Smith was starting at that point.  It will be interesting to see who gets most of the tackles when Poz comes back.  Telvin or Poz, 2 tackling machines.  JT is better at the OTTO anyway

Quote:Yes I do realize the MLB isn't soley responsible for coverage.  I also agree the safeties really stink.  It was just an observation.  TEs were killing us early in the season.  Maybe it was coincidence and maybe the safeties started playing better when Poz went down. 

Nonetheless, Poz is an OK MLB.  He's a super respectful guy and I like him and greatly respect him but is he worth $7.45M each of the next 2 years?  No... I say throw that money at some other FA we badly need and go with youth at the LB position.  We aren't going to the Super Bowl in the next 2 years so I say part ways with him and spend the money elsewhere.  It's just my opinion.

I understand the youth movement but personally I feel like unless Poz becomes a major liability, the chances of finding anyone significantly better are slim. Draft his heir and let him develop behind Poz.

Quote:I understand the youth movement but personally I feel like unless Poz becomes a major liability, the chances of finding anyone significantly better are slim. Draft his heir and let him develop behind Poz.

With the cash we have I'd be fine with that too...

I honestly think that once FAs are signed by their own teams there isn't going to be a lot left for the Jags to go after.  Everyone thinks we are going to make some big splashes in Free Agency and I just don't know if it'll play out like that.  I wouldn't be suprrised at all if Caldwell keeps Poz because I don't think the money will be an issue and we can just let him play out his next 2 years.

Poz is a slightly above average LB with highly below average coverage skills. 

Actually ridiculous. Poz has been one of our best players, he's always near a league high top on tackles, iirc last year he was 2nd in PD's aswel aswel as around average for sacks.

Why would you cut him? Sometimes this board just likes to hate on people for apparently no reason..

Quote:Poz is a slightly above average LB with highly below average coverage skills. 
Right, because slightly above average LBs lead their position in tackles.

All the good LBs must be playing CB or S.

Quote:Oh so beastly.  Racking up those 5 yard-gainer tackles and running 6 yards behind TE's.  So beastly.
He struggled a bit this year as did the entire Defense, but the man went to the ProBowl the year before that.

Poz will play better with improved Safety play. During the first 7 games of the season, while Poz was healthy, the FS position was an issue and it reflected in the overall performance of the Jags Defense. When properly supported by a mature deep secondary, Poz's performance will also improve.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Quote:He struggled a bit this year as did the entire Defense, but the man went to the ProBowl the year before that.

No you didnt use the probowl. Lol.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

lol no.  But he's got a cool name and gets lots of tackles after 5 yard gains.