Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles 2015 Offseason

Here's a decent article on the topic that echoes some of the things myself and others have been posting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...fense-wont

Quote:...quarterbacks coach Frank Scelfo will help Bortles map out a schedule until the offseason program begins. Coaches and players cannot have much contact with each other at that time of the year, per NFL rules, so that will put much of the responsibility on Bortles. 

"I think speeding up the decision-making will come from knowledge. This offseason has to be a constant quest for knowledge," Fisch said recently. "When we are not together for those X amount of months that we’re not allowed to see one another, he has to make sure that he is studying, studying, studying, studying our offense so that when we come back together and we can meet, we can then start talking about defenses. 

"If we have to start over and just talk about our offense for those next three months, then the decision-making process won’t get sped up because we’ll then go back to not being able to focus in on all of the little tips and reminders that defenses can give us, so that [the offense] is where his focus is going to be. I think if he does that and owns it, now we can do a great job of giving him indicators to really help him play fast." 

The footwork issue is a matter of drilling over and over to imprint the proper fundamentals into Bortles' muscle memory. He got little instruction in that area in high school and college, so he’s behind a bit and it’s not going to be easy, but it’s simply a matter of committing enough time to make it second nature.
Quote:​…."It’s hard to work on during the season," Bortles said. "There’s not a whole lot of time for fundamentals to be worked on, but it’s the thing that you say, ‘Let’s make sure that it doesn’t get any worse, and in the offseason we can try and fix as much as possible.’"

I'm moderately confident we'll see enough improvement from Bortles that people start calling him a "franchise QB" next season.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw for 3800+ yds next year and near 20 TDs.  It really wouldn't take much to elevate his game to that level, IMO.  Obviously, he's got work to do to get there, and he'll need some improvement around him to pull it off, but I think it's do-able. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The team has to bring in some veteran players to this offense. One or two veteran receivers. They don't have to be top money guys, but somebody who has been in the league before. Hurns, Lee and Robinson look like a nice trio but they need someone with some experience. A veteran tight end to replace Lewis. And at least one veteran lineman to start at right tackle and maybe another for depth behind Bowanko.

My biggest hope is that he learns to throw the ball without the windup. He drops the ball to his hip on every throw. That elongated motion is really causing him to telegraph his passes.

Telegraphing is nonsense. Open receivers end that discussion. The whole offense needs massive help and hard work.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

NFL is just stupid. Coaches and players can't work together in the offseason ? <_<

He just needs to focus on footwork and learning when to tuck and run or throw the ball away

Quote:NFL is just stupid. Coaches and players can't work together in the offseason ? <_<
Agreed. That rule is ridiculous.  

Quote:Telegraphing is nonsense. Open receivers end that discussion. The whole offense needs massive help and hard work.
Fisch is telegraphing moreso than Blake with this horizontal offense and limited routetrees

That windup is causing him to get a lot of passes batted down. It was starting to get ridiculous yesterday.

I saw Roethlisberger get like 5 straight passes batted down in the Cincy game last night. Maybe the comparison is true.

Quote:Fisch is telegraphing moreso than Blake with this horizontal offense and limited routetrees
I'm so tired of this stupidity.  What do you think is limiting this offense? Hint: It's not Fisch.

Quote:Here's a decent article on the topic that echoes some of the things myself and others have been posting:

I'm moderately confident we'll see enough improvement from Bortles that people start calling him a "franchise QB" next season.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw for 3800+ yds next year and near 20 TDs.  It really wouldn't take much to elevate his game to that level, IMO.  Obviously, he's got work to do to get there, and he'll need some improvement around him to pull it off, but I think it's do-able. 
This is good stuff.  If we learned anything last offseason, it's that Blake takes this stuff seriously and will do his homework.  The staff was very impressed with what he learned in his free time last year, and showed up further along than they expected.  The initial evaluation that he needed to sit out last year was spot on.  I wish Henne wasn't such a turd.

Quote:Here's a decent article on the topic that echoes some of the things myself and others have been posting:

I agree that it won't take too much for Bortles to be an above average starter.  If he makes that jump next year (which, as you said, is not too much work) he will definitely be moving quickly towards "franchise QB" designation.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Better Oline play, off season to work on mechanics and footwork, ARob, Lee, Hurns , Blackmon, Denard, playmaking TE.... Bortles has all the pieces to make a great jump in his sophomore season.

Quote:This is good stuff.  If we learned anything last offseason, it's that Blake takes this stuff seriously and will do his homework.  The staff was very impressed with what he learned in his free time last year, and showed up further along than they expected.  The initial evaluation that he needed to sit out last year was spot on.  I wish Henne wasn't such a turd.

I agree but also think this years playing time will be a big help towards his progression

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:Telegraphing is nonsense. Open receivers end that discussion. The whole offense needs massive help and hard work.

Dumb. Receivers don't readily get open in the NFL. It is up to a good QB to throw them open, and when you're dropping the ball to your hip with your throwing motion, it doesn't help.

Quote:Dumb. Receivers don't readily get open in the NFL. It is up to a good QB to throw them open, and when you're dropping the ball to your hip with your throwing motion, it doesn't help.
Lol OBJ, Brown, Jordy, AJ all say hi. They get open a lot.

Quote:Lol OBJ, Brown, Jordy, AJ all say hi. They get open a lot.

Lol the rule, not the exception says hi.

The margin for error in the NFL is razor thin. Dropping the ball to your hip before throwing it forward doesn't help. Are you refuting that?

Quote:Lol the rule, not the exception says hi.

The margin for error in the NFL is razor thin. Dropping the ball to your hip before throwing it forward doesn't help. Are you refuting that?
No not refuting that at all. We agree there.

That can be corrected (hopefully) in the offseason.

But claiming receivers don't readily get open is false. I think ARob and Lee will have that ability.

While I acknowledge Bortles has areas of improvement he needs to address, I think the most necessary areas of improvement are those outside of Bortles.

RB, RT, TE, and LT are huge needs for this team.

If the team can improve 3 of those 4 needs on offense, you will see Bortles' numbers improve.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:No not refuting that at all. We agree there.

That can be corrected (hopefully) in the offseason.

But claiming receivers don't readily get open is false. I think ARob and Lee will have that ability.

My only point was that sort of flaw in your delivery can be overcome in college where receivers are wide open every play seemingly. That is not the case in the NFL.

This isn't some wild, hair-brained theory by me; this is what rookie QBs often talk about when discussing the differences between college and pros.